Alamy not fully represented after Queen's passing

Access? Priority positions given to competition? I've seen live news uses of the tributes at various locations, but at the main events involving the King and princes etc I'm not sure whether Alamy photographers can get much of a look in.

• Like 2

Brian, Thank you for all your efforts to alert contributors to images published.

Below is a licence that appeared in my account this morning for a picture of the motorcade procession 

down Royal Mile on Sunday.

Anyone attending, do take your own sandwiches and coffee because Alamy senior management have no

interest in what it entails to gather Live News images.

2K0F2T1

Usage: Editorial, Editorial use on Websites, apps, blogs & Social Media accounts
Media: Website, app and social media
Start: 12 September 2022
Duration: Unlimited     $ 3.38

Edited by Arch White
  • Thanks 1

2K0KWWP
Usage: Editorial, Editorial use on Websites, apps, social media and blogs www.forces.net & Social Media
Media: Website, app and social media
Start: 12 September 2022
Duration: Unlimited

Appeared shortly after uploading to Live News. Found on Forces.net by another Alamy contributor. Hardly worth the 3 hour wait but good to have some images “in the bank” so to speak. Papers will always use PA/Reuters/Getty in preference I think. 

$ 11.82
Edited by Sally
  • Like 3

I haven't been up to London myself yet but I have heard that access is crazy - you need to be there at 4am with a very big stepladder to even have a chance. 
I'll be there on Thursday but will basically photographing very long queues, and possibly some squirrels in the park if they haven't all been scared off.

I don't think I'll even bother next Monday - especially given the rates even if you do get something published..

• Love 1
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Sally said:

Papers will always use PA/Reuters/Getty in preference I think. 

You are likely right Sally. I shot an event in Suffolk around a month or too back, and thought I had it to myself. Then spoke to another photographer and he was from PA. All his images were used in the nationals.

56 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Then spoke to another photographer and he was from PA. All his images were used in the nationals.

I've just filed some images from a local story just a ten minute walk from home. A PA photographer was there with priority access whose images were appearing immediately on news websites as the event was taking place. I can't compete with that.

• Like 2

Fully understand that Avpics.

In terms of the picture - the ones appearing - the vast majority of people on here could take as good (if not better) as what appears quite easily.

the biggest problem is a) getting access and b) being able to send from your camera to dedicated backroom staff who caption and issue in a flash (the time this saves and enables you to simply photograph and add the odd voice tag is amazing) .

Few of us have that luxury and in many respects never will because of what we get paid here and the level of gear/support that PA Media staff get.

I am sure there a few holding their own with PA Media on a level playing-field but no doubt it's tough.

6 hours ago, Sally said:

Appeared shortly after uploading to Live News. Found on Forces.net by another Alamy contributor. Hardly worth the 3 hour wait but good to have some images “in the bank” so to speak. Papers will always use PA/Reuters/Getty in preference I think. 

$ 11.82

Are these staff photographers on a salary or freelances?

Reading the comments above I'm left wondering if it isn't best to leave it to them - not that I take news pics.

Geogphotos wrote:

"Are these staff photographers on a salary or freelances?

Reading the comments above I'm left wondering if it isn't best to leave it to them - not that I take news pics."

Yes, certainly PA togs are paid to be there although I am aware that all are not ful-time staff.

Also, perhaps it should be considered that many PA/Reuters/Getty togs are award winning photographers

working daily on real news stories not stock photographers who are happy to make a buck or two.

The reason I supply to Live News is copied  below this (which was a simple weather image) was also reported this morning:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 750,000
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 19 July 2022
End: 20 July 2022
Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.     $ 168.90

However, the above reported licence does not excuse the one I mentioned earlier for $3.38.

Alamy Live News asked contributors to be respecful when gathering images for this event i.e. "with a level of delicacy and sesitivity to those around you",

perhaps Alamy senior management should consider these words when they allow their sales team to make future deals for image sales?

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Arch White said:

Geogphotos wrote:

"Are these staff photographers on a salary or freelances?

Reading the comments above I'm left wondering if it isn't best to leave it to them - not that I take news pics."

Yes, certainly PA togs are paid to be there although I am aware that all are not ful-time staff.

Also, perhaps it should be considered that many PA/Reuters/Getty togs are award winning photographers

working daily on real news stories not stock photographers who are happy to make a buck or two.

The reason I supply to Live News is copied  below this (which was a simple weather image) was also reported this morning:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 750,000
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 19 July 2022
End: 20 July 2022
Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.     $ 168.90

However, the above reported licence does not excuse the one I mentioned earlier for $3.38.

Alamy Live News asked contributors to be respecful when gathering images for this event i.e. "with a level of delicacy and sesitivity to those around you",

perhaps Alamy senior management should consider these words when they allow their sales team to make future deals for image sales?

This year I've found a massive downturn towards single digit news sales when previously high double digits was regular

I was in London yesterday.  I arrived late due to circumstances outside my control.  As a result it was manic and most difficult to get pictures of any news value.  However, I have seen excellent pictures from two live news shooters of the procession.  I assume they must have arrived very early, but clearly it is possible, with a lot of effort, to get usable news pictures.  I would add that, yet again , having a press pass is useful but not essential,  I got some good pictures from a couple of “press only” areas during the day, although my best pictures were taken from a Westminster pavement.  I walked about eight miles yesterday.  The other issue I encounter was being told by security/stewards I could not stand in certain areas due to “Health and safety”.

Speed is another issue.  PA etc can file direct from their camera immediately.  I had to wait to get get home to file as none of my normal parks, cafes, open spaces were available to sit down and file.  The press areas were too crowded to have room to use my laptop to file.  In addition, the age old problem, if I sit down to file I am missing photographic opportunities.  I often shoot in Downing Street and there is a common saying that the moment you leave is the moment something happens….

The same issues will apply for the funeral and the coronation.  PA etc will always get priority access and Alamy is commercially right and obliged to put those pictures out first. .  That is just a fact.  Where freelance shooters can gain sales is by covering lesser known or unique issues from the sidelines, so to speak.  

Edited by IanDavidson
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

I was in London yesterday.  I arrived late due to circumstances outside my control.  As a result it was manic and most difficult to get pictures of any news value.  However, I have seen excellent pictures from two live news shooters of the procession.  I assume they must have arrived very early, but clearly it is possible, with a lot of effort, to get usable news pictures.  I would add that, yet again , having a press pass is useful but not essential,  I got some good pictures from a couple of “press only” areas during the day, although my best pictures were taken from a Westminster pavement.  I walked about eight miles yesterday.  The other issue I encounter was being told by security/stewards I could not stand in certain areas due to “Health and safety”.

Speed is another issue.  PA etc can file direct from their camera immediately.  I had to wait to get get home to file as none of my normal parks, cafes, open spaces were available to sit down and file.  The press areas were too crowded to have room to use my laptop to file.  In addition, the age old problem, if I sit down to file I am missing photographic opportunities.  I often shoot in Downing Street and there is a common saying that the moment you leave is the moment something happens….

The same issues will apply for the funeral and the coronation.  PA etc will always get priority access and Alamy is commercially right and obliged to put those pictures out first. .  That is just a fact.  Where freelance shooters can gain sales is by covering lesser known or unique issues from the sidelines, so to speak.  

Well put.

• Like 1