July 2022 - Favourite uploads

VbFolly

36 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I remember stopping at Pavesi food/rest stops in Italy, as a kid traveling with my family, I have not seen them in more recent years, only AutoGrill.  Is Pavesi gone?

I0000mh.j48osOAQ.jpg

Caption for the old one:

Pavesi cafe restaurant built 1958, Ronco Scrivia, Autostrada Milan-Genova, Italy, architect Angelo Bianchetti,photographed 1959 now Autogrill Giovi Ovest

Edited by geogphotos

Probably my favourite insects to photograph - ichneumon wasps

ichneumonid-wasp-possibly-heteropelma-am

......and probably the happiest flowers ever - Bee Orchid.

It looks like someones tickled his tum. Always makes me smile

single-bee-orchid-flower-ophrys-apifera-

• Love 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

I recall the reviews that the Amateur Photographer magazine used to carry out on film cameras and they always included an in depth assessment of the so called 50mm standard lens that came bundled with the camera. I guess that the manufacturers tried just a bit harder to get their 50s just right, or maybe it was an easy focal length to work with, as I have never encountered a bad one having sampled a number of Pentax, Olympus and one Canon product.

The Olympus 50 F1.8 is razor sharp but doesn't have the contrast of the Pentax f1.7, which is sometimes a good thing, reducing blown highlights and black shadows.  It's a lens that always finds its way into my camera bag. I also have the f1.4 versions but they are heavier and more bulky than their "lesser" cousins, and are no better at f8, which is where they are most used.

Ever thought of looking around for a secondhand Sony A7 body to use your legacy lenses on? Personally, I find the 1.5X crop factor to be inconvenient. It's the main reason I don't use my old manual focus lenses more often.

Just finished with the tagging of this one.   Flash and a Sony 30mm macro lens on my a6000.

The spider disappeared after one of the hummingbird's visits.  The hummingbirds do eat insects and spiders, and use spider silk for their nests.

On the older manual lenses, my 50mm Yashinon was quite sharp, but went with the a7 with the shutter problems when I gave that to my helper.  I still have a rather wonderful Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 gaussian variant model that I can use on either camera I have left.

2JJ39KM.jpg

• Love 3

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Ever thought of looking around for a secondhand Sony A7 body to use your legacy lenses on? Personally, I find the 1.5X crop factor to be inconvenient. It's the main reason I don't use my old manual focus lenses more often.

Interesting idea John, not something I've considered. You're right in that the 1.5 x crop factor does limit the available glass at the wide end. However I'm not sure how well my old lenses would perform on a full frame sensor, and. with the current situation regarding fees,  I'm not in a mood to invest in more photo gear at the moment. If I was shopping I would be looking for a used 20mm lens to complement the 12mm Rokinon that I have

In practice the a6500 sensor delivers images, that even after considerable manipulation, are plenty good enough for Alamy.  My RX100, which gives me the wider view,  is nothing like as good, but adequate most of the time.

• Love 1

29th June, 2022. An encampment on the pavement opposite the Russian Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand, Asia, includes a Buddha image and calls for international world peace, as the Russian invasion of Ukraine continues. A few people, including Buddhist nuns and monks, have been sleeping there to call for peace since the invasion started.

2JF36XF.jpg

• Love 1

On 25/07/2022 at 15:40, Rebecca Ore said:

Just finished with the tagging of this one.   Flash and a Sony 30mm macro lens on my a6000.

The spider disappeared after one of the hummingbird's visits.  The hummingbirds do eat insects and spiders, and use spider silk for their nests.

On the older manual lenses, my 50mm Yashinon was quite sharp, but went with the a7 with the shutter problems when I gave that to my helper.  I still have a rather wonderful Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 gaussian variant model that I can use on either camera I have left.

2JJ39KM.jpg

Interesting bugs in Nicaragua. How do you like the Sony 30mm macro lens?

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting bugs in Nicaragua. How do you like the Sony 30mm macro lens?

My Nikon micro lens with VR was, I think, sharper but I sold it when I was preparing to move to Nicaragua.  The Nikkor was sharp at all focusing distances.   The 30mm looks like it's sharp only at macro distances to five feet.  I can't remember what I paid for the Sony macro, but not full price at the Sony store in Managua, maybe around US $150.

I've mostly used the 30mm Sony Macro on the a6000.   Looking at the pictures now, I've done a lot of fish photos with the lens, insects shot in Nicaragua, and some plants and fruit shots.  The B&H reviews seem to be accurate enough.  I used a small Nissin flash with its wide angle diffuser when I need light on plants or insects.  1/1 is about 3.75 inches from the front of the lens.  A longer lens gives more reach for flighty subjects at one to one.  It's not an all rounder -- maybe the Sony 50mm macro would be better for that.  Focus can be erratic so either use manual focus or plan to take a number of photos.  I took quite a few of my spider subject.  I suspect there are a number of used ones for sale out there.

I've missed two opportunities to get photos of tarantulas.

2 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

My Nikon micro lens with VR was, I think, sharper but I sold it when I was preparing to move to Nicaragua.  The Nikkor was sharp at all focusing distances.   The 30mm looks like it's sharp only at macro distances to five feet.  I can't remember what I paid for the Sony macro, but not full price at the Sony store in Managua, maybe around US $150.

I've mostly used the 30mm Sony Macro on the a6000.   Looking at the pictures now, I've done a lot of fish photos with the lens, insects shot in Nicaragua, and some plants and fruit shots.  The B&H reviews seem to be accurate enough.  I used a small Nissin flash with its wide angle diffuser when I need light on plants or insects.  1/1 is about 3.75 inches from the front of the lens.  A longer lens gives more reach for flighty subjects at one to one.  It's not an all rounder -- maybe the Sony 50mm macro would be better for that.  Focus can be erratic so either use manual focus or plan to take a number of photos.  I took quite a few of my spider subject.  I suspect there are a number of used ones for sale out there.

I've missed two opportunities to get photos of tarantulas.

Thanks. I've been tempted to buy a used Sony 30mm macro. It seems like a nifty little lens -- lightweight and uncomplicated. Currently, I use some inexpensive extension tubes, passive (for legacy lenses) and auto. The nice thing about the auto/dedicated ones is that when matched with a Sony lens, the image stabilization works, which means it's easier to handhold the camera. I too usually have to take several shots in order to get one sharp enough for QC. There are zillions of macro images on Alamy, but they can be fun to take.

Edited by John Mitchell

Lady carrying open multi coloured umbrella in downpour

lady-carrying-open-multi-coloured-umbrella-in-downpour-st-marys-street-lincoln-city-2022-2JGJ924.jpg

The Crooked House, Michaelgate, Lincoln city

the-crooked-house-lincoln-city-council-owned-holiday-rental-house-michaelgate-lincoln-city-2022-2JJ2G27.jpg

Lincoln Cathedral and Exchequergate from castle wall.

lincoln-cathedral-and-exchequergate-from-castle-wall-lincoln-city-2022-2JJ2FXX.jpg

Passenger concourse behind glass wall, lincoln bus station, Oxford street Lincoln city.

passenger-concourse-behind-glass-wall-lincoln-bus-station-oxford-street-lincoln-city-2022-2JHJM0W.jpg

This could be a one for "Perspective".

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Currently, I use some inexpensive extension tubes,

I hated extension tubes.   The 30mm on APS-C is an improvement over those.   I've licensed a couple of things I've shot with it.   Further readings says the 50mm has in full frame the same problems as the 30mm.   If the lens is in decent shape and the person went on to a bigger and more expensive macro, and the price is right, it's probably going to be fun.   I took 10 of the shots in my last upload with it.  The shot of the mango tree was with it, so it's sharp enough beyond 6 feet.   Feather detail was earlier but also with it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2022 at 07:25, Rebecca Ore said:

I hated extension tubes.   The 30mm on APS-C is an improvement over those.   I've licensed a couple of things I've shot with it.   Further readings says the 50mm has in full frame the same problems as the 30mm.   If the lens is in decent shape and the person went on to a bigger and more expensive macro, and the price is right, it's probably going to be fun.   I took 10 of the shots in my last upload with it.  The shot of the mango tree was with it, so it's sharp enough beyond 6 feet.   Feather detail was earlier but also with it.  

I also have a set of inexpensive Hoya closeup filters that I bought centuries ago. They are more convenient to use than clunky extension tubes on my old Minolta 50mm lens. If you don't stack the filters, they can produce surprisingly good results. Review here.

Male Figbird (Sphecotheres flaviventris)

2JN7F73.jpg

White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike (Coracina papuensis)

2JN7F91.jpg

Rainbow Lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus)

2JN7FD3.jpg

Masked Lapwing (Vanellus miles) showing its wing spurs

2JN7FA3.jpg

Black-necked Stork (Ephippiorhynchus asiaticus)

2JN7FF0.jpg

Australasian Figbird (Sphecotheres flaviventris)

2JN7FPA.jpg

• Love 4
  • Like 1