Alamy calculations for Silver and Gold

Jill Morgan

Question

On Thusrday I had my first sale since March.  .05 cents.  Alamy took 60%.  Today I had a sale for $15, Alamy took 80%.

See post below, DACS got included.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan

3 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

On Thusrday I had my first sale since March.  .05 cents.  Alamy took 60%.  Today I had a sale for $15, Alamy took 80%.

Out of curiousity, I set the search for my sales form July 1, 2021 to June 30 2022.  I did $250.45, which should have just squeaked me in to the Gold group starting this month, but somehow Alamy has shoved me down to the silver.  To be honest, I was surprised it was just over $250.

So how do they take the 80%? Obviously the year changed over from the 30th to at least the 3rd.  I would still be covered as my first sale from last July was the 13th.

Have some complaining to do to Alamy tomorrow.

Anyone else checked their sales totals?

Jill

so more bug into the process.   Based on the contract you would be a gold contributor, and should be at 60% commission.  Alamy really needs to get their act together.  

i just checked my Friday sale, and as a Gold i did get a 60% commission charge, so you being close to threshold and maybe meeting requirement late in period seems to make them miss on their contractual obligation, and force you to do more work to get your due. 

8 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Didn't think DACS would be counted as "Sales|.

My understanding is that it isn't. Which considering Alamy has already had a 60% bite of your DACS is a bit rich.

Why would you bother to send Alamy one more image?

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

My understanding is that it isn't. Which considering Alamy has already had a 60% bite of your DACS is a bit rich.

Why would you bother to send Alamy one more image?

I find fact DACS and Infringements charges, both revenues Alamy takes a cut from, not being included in meeting qualification really insulting. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

I find fact DACS and Infringements charges, both revenues Alamy takes a cut from, not being included in meeting qualification really insulting. 

Including DACS in the calculation would pose a problem for Alamy: they would have to disclose the gross amount claimed before deductions, something they have consistently refused to do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

Including DACS in the calculation would pose a problem for Alamy: they would have to disclose the gross amount claimed before deductions, something they have consistently refused to do.

Probably similar reasoning for Infringement revenue. 

• Like 1

I do have a similar problem.

I noticed that I've been moved to Silver at the beginning of July, although my (gross) sales amount from July 1st, 2021 until June 30th, 2022 was well above the $250 mark (it was exactly $427,63).

I wrote to Alamy support to correct the obvious error, and got a - very surprising - response:

"The calculations do not include distribution sales as they are not direct to Alamy’s site. So, you have made less than $250 overall from July 2021 to July 2022."

But that's not what is written in the contract. There it says:

12.12 At the end of each Revenue Year if your total License Fees for that year, net of any refunds:

12.12.1 are less than $250 then the Alamy Commission for sales of your Content in the following Revenue Year will automatically switch to Alamy Silver as outlined in the Alamy Commission Table; or
    12.12.2 are greater than or equal to $250 then the Alamy Commission for sales of your Content in the following Revenue Year will remain on Alamy Gold for that year, as outlined in the Alamy Commission Table.

Nothing about distribution sales not being counted.

Anybody with the same problem?

Ive checked my "Sales History" between 1 July 2021 and 1 July 2022 - This is over $250, and does not include DACS........ but I am now showing as Silver - and 2 sales this month are showing 80% Alamy Commission :-(

3 minutes ago, Jools Devon said:

Ive checked my "Sales History" between 1 July 2021 and 1 July 2022 - This is over $250, and does not include DACS........ but I am now showing as Silver - and 2 sales this month are showing 80% Alamy Commission 😞

this should not be, write to contributors@alamy.com   

13 minutes ago, Jools Devon said:

Ive checked my "Sales History" between 1 July 2021 and 1 July 2022 - This is over $250, and does not include DACS........ but I am now showing as Silver - and 2 sales this month are showing 80% Alamy Commission 😞

Shouldn't it be to 30th June 2022? Did your total include sales on the 1st July 2022 perhaps?

• Like 1

Will it turn out the $250 threshold is now based on cleared sales revenue rather than just invoiced sales? The contract uses the following wording 

From the 1 July 2021, Alamy will monitor the total License Fees in respect of your Content in each Revenue Year.

Which doesn't make it clear.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

I just read in another forum that Alamy responded that distributor sales were excluded from the $250 minimum gross sales to stay in Gold!!! If true, this has never been mentioned before and is not part of the contract.

25 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I just read in another forum that Alamy responded that distributor sales were excluded from the $250 minimum gross sales to stay in Gold!!! If true, this has never been mentioned before and is not part of the contract.

Wow.  I know someone (me) speculated at time of contract it would be the amount Net of Distributor Commission, since the definition was "sum actually received by Alamy", and Alamy chose to stay silent, and i guess we now know why.

But if they are not including any of it, Alamy is reaching an even bigger low in claiming Alamy themselves didn't receive anything from the Customer.  This is extremely bad.

Contract Lawyer would need to review the definition of "Customer" below:

"Licence Fees"
means any sum actually received by Alamy from any Customer in respect of the license of your Content whether a single payment or a royalty paid over time

"Customer"
means any third party individual, partnership, corporation or other entity who may be intermediaries or end-users and to whom a licence is or is proposed to be granted by Alamy.

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

That was me in that other forum.

I posted the same thing here in this thread (see above), only my post had to be reviewed by a moderator (it was my first post ever on the Alamy forum after 12 years being on Alamy...) and was hidden until this morning.

To my view there is no reasonable argument to not include distributor revenue in the calculation.

The total sales amount for any distributor sale is added in full to my balance here on Alamy, and then die distributor commission and the Alamy distribution commission are deducted.

If they want to argue that somehow this is not money "received by Alamy from any customer", than I would need to have a contractual relationship with any such distributor, a seperate accounting with any of them and have to receive my royalties directly from them.

So by not including those sales they are breaking the contract.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, DirkR said:

I posted the same thing here in this thread (see above), only my post had to be reviewed by a moderator (it was my first post ever on the Alamy forum after 12 years being on Alamy...) and was hidden until this morning.

To my view there is no reasonable argument to not include distributor revenue in the calculation.

The total sales amount for any distributor sale is added in full to my balance here on Alamy, and then die distributor commission and the Alamy distribution commission are deducted.

If they want to argue that somehow this is not money "received by Alamy from any customer", than I would need to have a contractual relationship with any such distributor, a seperate accounting with any of them and have to receive my royalties directly from them.

It sounds grossly unfair. You did make a sale and Alamy did get some money.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DirkR said:

If they are doing this then it is morally and ethically despicable....

@Alamy Here is yet another concern that you need to address urgently!

Phil

Hi all,

Thanks for raising this.

We're looking into this our side to see if any mistakes have been made, and will correct them if there have been.

We'll provide clarity as to what is and what isn't included in the calculations, according to moving up or down the commission tiers once we have confirmation on this. 

Thanks,

Alamy 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Hi All,

To update on the above, the calculations should include distribution sales. 

We're working on this our end, to ensure that this is correct for all accounts and that no-one is out of pocket. 

Thanks,

Alamy

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Alamy said:

Hi All,

To update on the above, the calculations should include distribution sales. 

We're working on this our end, to ensure that this is correct for all accounts and that no-one is out of pocket. 

Thanks,

Alamy

Thanks for the quick response, happy to hear that it is this way!