Amidst all this negative and depressing talk....

I've had very, very few $ sales and AFAICR no sub-$ ones. Today I had my first archival sale (shot in 1981) since joining the archival scheme a year ago, and it's my second $$$ sale in less than a fortnight. I have no reason to be negative.

Alan

• Love 4
  • Like 3

Some Alan's are born lucky.  Some Allan's aren't.😉

Must admit I have been very Lucky in general throughout my life. It is just on Alamy where I have not been so lucky.

Your luck on alamy is down to your hard work. Well done.

Allan

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Your luck on alamy is down to your hard work. Well done.

This reminds me of the classic quote from (I think) Gary Player. Someone told him how lucky he was to have such a great golf swing, and his reply was " Yes, and the more I practice the luckier I get"

• Love 3

10 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

This reminds me of the classic quote from (I think) Gary Player. Someone told him how lucky he was to have such a great golf swing, and his reply was " Yes, and the more I practice the luckier I get"

That's all very well when we have control over the outcome but when relying on A. N. Other to take our good luck and use it to our and their advantage they ain't doing the best job unfortunately. A lot of us can say we've had high $$$$ fees but it doesn't cancel out the fact that there are far too many sub$ fees.

Phil

• Love 1

On 05/04/2022 at 09:23, Inchiquin said:

I've had very, very few $ sales and AFAICR no sub-$ ones. Today I had my first archival sale (shot in 1981) since joining the archival scheme a year ago, and it's my second $$$ sale in less than a fortnight. I have no reason to be negative.

Alan

Good for you Inchiquin - there are plenty of other people not negative but simply reporting low fees (the facts). As Phil has added  "there are far too many sub$ fees".

Keep us posted on how you go in the months ahead - always interesting to read about peoples experiences and perhaps learn something from them.

• Thanks 1

Let's not forget that at one time, $$$ figure sales were common, even the norm for some types of uses -- e.g. textbook licenses, which were almost always in the $150 to $250 range. That said, it is encouraging to see that $$$+ sales do still happen, even in the time of tiddlers. I usually get one or two $$$ ones per month out of my average 14 sales/month.

• Like 1

I get as annoyed as anybody over pathetic fees but it really is not Alamy's fault that we are in this situation.  They didn't start microstock and they are responding to the huge decline in prints sales.

There has been an increase in volume.

It is the decrease in commission that I DO blame Alamy for because they did it only a few months after announding that it wasn't necessary.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I get as annoyed as anybody over pathetic fees but it really is not Alamy's fault that we are in this situation. 

Actually it is... They chose to get involved in the race to the bottom to everyones detriment.

Phil

• Like 2

On 05/04/2022 at 22:45, Colin Woods said:

Not a great golf swing, but how lucky he was to keep getting up and down out of bunkers.

On 06/04/2022 at 10:52, geogphotos said:

I get as annoyed as anybody over pathetic fees but it really is not Alamy's fault that we are in this situation.  They didn't start microstock and they are responding to the huge decline in prints sales.

There has been an increase in volume.

It is the decrease in commission that I DO blame Alamy for because they did it only a few months after announding that it wasn't necessary.

Yes, the decrease in commission has had a big impact. April is income tax month in Canada, and I'm currently preparing my tax return. Looking at my Alamy monthly payouts (I've been afraid to do so) for 2021 is a bit of a shock. The total payout is only 64% of 2020's for the same number of sales. It will take a very big increase in volume for me to get back to previous income levels. Sorry to sound negative, but the reality is that it's a downhill slide despite the occasional $$$ sales...😧

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, the decrease in commission has had a big impact. April is income tax month in Canada, and I'm currently preparing my tax return. Looking at my Alamy monthly payouts (I've been afraid to do so) for 2021 is a bit of a shock. The total payout is only 64% of 2020's for the same number of sales. It will take a very big increase in volume for me to get back to previous income levels. Sorry to sound negative, but the reality is that it's a downhill slide despite the occasional $$$ sales...😧

On the bright side, you will have less taxable income!😀

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

On the bright side, you will have less taxable income!😀

Yes, that's true. My wallet will be easier to carry around as well. All those loonies and toonies can really weigh you down. 💰

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, that's true. My wallet will be easier to carry around as well. All those loonies and toonies can really weigh you down. 💰

you still use cash/coins?  I always feel so bad with panhandler as i never have any... 

51 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

you still use cash/coins?  I always feel so bad with panhandler as i never have any... 

I’m sure John was just kidding about the coins…but yes, same here, I rarely carry coins on me and only have paper money on me for an emergency.  Nearly everything is paid on a card or an app.

9 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I’m sure John was just kidding about the coins…but yes, same here, I rarely carry coins on me and only have paper money on me for an emergency.  Nearly everything is paid on a card or an app.

I keep a stack of coins of various denominations which I take with me when I go away or out for the day, because at my age one of life's greatest inconveniences (pun intended) is finding that the only public toilet in the area requires payment.

I would prefer to use plastic for everything else but the people who buy my prints in the local pubs will insist on paying in cash :)

Alan

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Only half-kidding. I'm still addicted to cash. Credit cards are convenient, but I was never in debt before they came along. I've yet to buy anything with an app.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

My local park car park have changed their parking meters, no cash now just pay by phone or phone up.  I actually managed to do it today😄

Carol

my favourite local park parking does not have any fees for me to park, nor do they have any bike racks so it is a pain to park.