March 2022 - Favourite uploads.

cbimages

I'll kick this off, although the upload was February, it's just come online in March. My offerings this time are a Flower Eating march Fly - one of the nice ones that doesn't bite. A butterfly that is crepuscular - ie, not active in bright sunshine. This one rests all day on the forest floor and is active dawn and dusk. There's also a dragonfly dining on what appears to be a fly.
flower-eating-march-flytabanus-auriflua-

common-evening-brown-butterfly-melanitis

fiery-skimmer-dragonfly-orthetrum-villos

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Ssssspecial ssssubject. Ssssurprise vissssitor on our garden table thisss afternoon.

Southwest Carpet Python (Morelia spilota imbricata), a near threatened species.

2HTHNBR.jpg

2HTHNCP.jpg

And the cat in our farmsit. He used to be a wild cat. The farm owners caught it, the kids fell in love with him. He acclimatised and now plays with the other cat and two dogs. He gives as good as he gets when playing. They're all good pals.

2HTHNCR.jpg

• Love 4

12 hours ago, gvallee said:

Ssssspecial ssssubject. Ssssurprise vissssitor on our garden table thisss afternoon.

Southwest Carpet Python (Morelia spilota imbricata), a near threatened species.

2HTHNBR.jpg

2HTHNCP.jpg

And the cat in our farmsit. He used to be a wild cat. The farm owners caught it, the kids fell in love with him. He acclimatised and now plays with the other cat and two dogs. He gives as good as he gets when playing. They're all good pals.

2HTHNCR.jpg

Gorgeous photos Gen, what a treat to have the snake come for a visit. Guess it lives in the barn, or somewhere nearby. How lucky.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

Gorgeous photos Gen, what a treat to have the snake come for a visit. Guess it lives in the barn, or somewhere nearby. How lucky.

I think it came for the Banjo Frogs in the soak. We've been warned that's where Tiger Snakes sometimes come too, in the long grass. If the dog barks there, we have to order him 'no, leave it'. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

I think it came for the Banjo Frogs in the soak. We've been warned that's where Tiger Snakes sometimes come too, in the long grass. If the dog barks there, we have to order him 'no, leave it'. 

You have Banjo Frogs???????? I'm on my way!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbimages said:

You have Banjo Frogs???????? I'm on my way!

We have a frog app where we record their call and it tells you what specie it is. The sound was pretty spot on. 

• Love 1

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

We have a frog app where we record their call and it tells you what specie it is. The sound was pretty spot on. 

Have you heard the Motorcycle Frog?

That one is on my list. The whole region actually; only been in the city there. No frogs.

wim

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Have you heard the Motorcycle Frog?

That one is on my list. The whole region actually; only been in the city there. No frogs.

wim

I believe they're called Motorbike Frogs. Bikers might not like being called cyclists! 🤣

Amazing sound isn't it?

I have a few shots on Alamy. Seen in Western Australia on a previous trip,

FX5P11.jpg

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I believe they're called Motorbike Frogs. Bikers might not like being called cyclists! 🤣

Amazing sound isn't it?

I have a few shots on Alamy. Seen in Western Australia on a previous trip,

FX5P11.jpg

That's US vs UK. Motorcycle is US apparently.

wim

17 hours ago, gvallee said:

Our local "frog guy" is soon to re-open his Frogarium. It's Australia's first frog zoo and he's invited me around to take some photos. I'm hoping to organise it soon. And soooooooo excited, I love frogs!

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, cbimages said:

Our local "frog guy" is soon to re-open his Frogarium. It's Australia's first frog zoo and he's invited me around to take some photos. I'm hoping to organise it soon. And soooooooo excited, I love frogs!

For sure I would visit his Frogarium if I was in the area. 

When I lived in the UK, I once considered having a frogarium of mini South American frogs. Ccan't remember what they were, I think they were turquoise or blue. The thing that stopped me was their all night croaking. I wanted peace with the neighbours. I already had all sorts of insects and was wondering what their reaction would be in one escaped, like my forearm long stick insect. They were a bit stiff upper lip.

Here's a Red Dart Frog I took in Panama. Small kids, about 3 or 4 years old, were diving into bushes to catch them to show tourists. They were adamant that they could not be bought as they were protected, but it was alright for them to shake them in their hands to stun them to keep them still 😂

BK1JN3.jpg

This one is a Poison Arrow Frog I took in Canaima, Venezuela

AGN065.jpg

I did cause some panic locally on the internet when I uploaded these remains I found in my garden in Cairns, FNQ. Some people thought it had been attacked by a foreign fungi that had crept into Oz or that it was a deformed frog disease about to spread. The final expert consensus was that it was predation. A bird had eaten the frog from the treetops then dropped it.

PGPBK6.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

For sure I would visit his Frogarium if I was in the area. 

When I lived in the UK, I once considered having a frogarium of mini South American frogs. Ccan't remember what they were, I think they were turquoise or blue. The thing that stopped me was their all night croaking. I wanted peace with the neighbours. I already had all sorts of insects and was wondering what their reaction would be in one escaped, like my forearm long stick insect. They were a bit stiff upper lip.

Here's a Red Dart Frog I took in Panama. Small kids, about 3 or 4 years old, were diving into bushes to catch them to show tourists. They were adamant that they could not be bought as they were protected, but it was alright for them to shake them in their hands to stun them to keep them still 😂

BK1JN3.jpg

This one is a Poison Arrow Frog I took in Canaima, Venezuela

AGN065.jpg

I did cause some panic locally on the internet when I uploaded these remains I found in my garden in Cairns, FNQ. Some people thought it had been attacked by a foreign fungi that had crept into Oz or that it was a deformed frog disease about to spread. The final expert consensus was that it was predation. A bird had eaten the frog from the treetops then dropped it.

PGPBK6.jpg

Great photos Gen, I love frogs, and have some funny tales to tell of things that have happened late at night when I've been out shooting them. Many years ago I got the front cover of the Australian Geographic calendar with this shot, a nice $$$$ earner and no commission as they contacted me directly. A scan on an old Velvia tranny
three-red-eyed-tree-frogs-litoria-chlori

• Love 3
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, cbimages said:

Great photos Gen, I love frogs, and have some funny tales to tell of things that have happened late at night when I've been out shooting them. Many years ago I got the front cover of the Australian Geographic calendar with this shot, a nice $$$$ earner and no commission as they contacted me directly. A scan on an old Velvia tranny

Wow!! This is a serious feather in your hat! Well done!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

I remember this one Carol!

• Thanks 1

Happy Pi Day - March 14

Designed these a couple of years ago and kept forgetting to upload them at least a month or so in advance of the holiday. This year, I uploaded them early in February then promptly forgot to keyword them so just came on sale this month. 

Got my MacBook Pro back and can no longer get the large image even with the Shift-R Click that was working before. Tried all the other options and can't get it to work. Oh well. 

Happy pi day holiday pi sign typography in aqua, black and white. STEM education concept to encourage learning mathematics, physics, and other science Stock PhotoPaint splatter greek letter pi symbol for Pi Day, a quirky holiday on March 14 since pi equals 3.14. Colorful sign for STEM education: science, techno Stock Photo

Edgy grunge painted pi symbol mathematical constant splashed across peeling paint wood texture wooden background for pi day holiday March 14 because p Stock PhotoGreek letter pi symbol pattern inside a circle since π is the formula for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, mathematical STE Stock Photo

• Love 3

Back to my beloved Outback pubs.

Willie is the iconic horse living outside the Grand Hotel pub in Kookynie, Eastern Goldfields, Western Australia. He is a former harness racer who turned up at the pub one day and never left. Obviously, he doesn't take 'Closed' for an answer.

The town is almost a one-horse town. It has a population of 12 people and 4 dogs. And Willie.

2HWGF8K.jpg

Another quintessential Bush Pub is the Broad Arrow Tavern, near Kalgoorlie, Western Australia

2HWGFAR.jpg

2HWGFD6.jpg

• Love 2

15 hours ago, gvallee said:

Back to my beloved Outback pubs.

Willie is the iconic horse living outside the Grand Hotel pub in Kookynie, Eastern Goldfields, Western Australia. He is a former harness racer who turned up at the pub one day and never left. Obviously, he doesn't take 'Closed' for an answer.

The town is almost a one-horse town. It has a population of 12 people and 4 dogs. And Willie.

2HWGF8K.jpg

Another quintessential Bush Pub is the Broad Arrow Tavern, near Kalgoorlie, Western Australia

2HWGFAR.jpg

2HWGFD6.jpg

Willie looks like his hooves are in good shape. I wonder if one of the twelve residents is a farrier. 

• Love 1

I stumbled into these guys collecting soft toys for Ukrainian refuges yesterday in a local Morrisons car park The bus driver organised the collection after being moved when he saw a young refugee being given a Teddy, by a Hungarian lady, when he was in Budapest last week. The response was excellent, they had collected over 2000 soft toys by the time they left yesterday afternoon and plan to drive them out to Budapest, by bus, on Thursday.

2HWKRC1.jpg

2HWKRDW.jpg

• Love 2

More of the same from me. Some spiders with prey. Firstly a Lynx Spider, then a Leaf Curling Spider, followed by a Crab spider. Then a bit of sex. A pair of Hoverflies mating, followed by mating dragonflies, with the female multitasking and eating breakfast of a small moth at the same time. 

elegant-lynx-spider-oxyopes-elegans-with

leaf-curling-spider-phonognatha-graeffei

red-tipped-crab-spider-sidymella-rubrosi

probably-grey-banded-hoverfly-episyrphus

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cbimages said:

More of the same from me. Some spiders with prey. Firstly a Lynx Spider, then a Leaf Curling Spider, followed by a Crab spider. Then a bit of sex. A pair of Hoverflies mating, followed by mating dragonflies, with the female multitasking and eating breakfast of a small moth at the same time. 

elegant-lynx-spider-oxyopes-elegans-with

leaf-curling-spider-phonognatha-graeffei

red-tipped-crab-spider-sidymella-rubrosi

probably-grey-banded-hoverfly-episyrphus

You seem to have the knack to catch them at lunch time! Excellent behaviours shots, as always.

Gen

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/03/2022 at 08:15, Steve Hyde said:

and plan to drive them out to Budapest, by bus, on Thursday.

But they can't.

https://www.cityam.com/not-going-anywhere-trucks-full-of-aid-for-ukraine-stuck-in-britain-due-to-brexit-red-tape/

Welcome to the Brexit, sir.;)

Edited by spacecadet

Yesterday I couldn't  resist a bus ride through to Sunderland to see the sun shining on the carpets of crocuses in Backhouse Park. 

2HWYYDK.jpg

The more formal planting in the city's Mowbray Park was less to my taste

2HWYYFC.jpg

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1