Jump to content

March 2022 - Favourite uploads.


cbimages
 Share

Recommended Posts

We're still having lousy weather, and way too much rain, with horrendous flooding in many areas. At least it's given me time to process some more of my waiting bugs and beasties.
Some very tiny treehoppers (the adults grow to 5mm), a cute little two spined spider, final instar of a giant grasshopper, one of our smallest damselflies, and a caterpillar getting ready to pupae under the grass it lives on, and then a couple of days later, the crysalis. 

acacia-horned-treehoppers-sextius-viresc

two-spined-spider-poecilopachys-australa

giant-grasshopper-valanga-irregularis-al

aurora-bluetail-damselfly-ischnura-auror

common-evening-brown-butterfly-caterpill

pupa-of-common-evening-brown-butterfly-c

  • Love 1
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cbimages said:

We're still having lousy weather, and way too much rain, with horrendous flooding in many areas. At least it's given me time to process some more of my waiting bugs and beasties.
Some very tiny treehoppers (the adults grow to 5mm), a cute little two spined spider, final instar of a giant grasshopper, one of our smallest damselflies, and a caterpillar getting ready to pupae under the grass it lives on, and then a couple of days later, the crysalis. 

acacia-horned-treehoppers-sextius-viresc

two-spined-spider-poecilopachys-australa

giant-grasshopper-valanga-irregularis-al

aurora-bluetail-damselfly-ischnura-auror

common-evening-brown-butterfly-caterpill

pupa-of-common-evening-brown-butterfly-c

 

Wow Carol, just wow!

I was thinking about you and the floods. I hope you're OK. We're lucky not to be in the area. More than one motorhome has been caught up and destroyed. Stay dry!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

 

Wow Carol, just wow!

I was thinking about you and the floods. I hope you're OK. We're lucky not to be in the area. More than one motorhome has been caught up and destroyed. Stay dry!

Thanks Gen, yeah, those treehoppers are everywhere right now, but so small. Not sure if you can see in the photo, but as well as the large nymph to the right of the pair, there are lots of smaller ones on the branches too. I worked out to look for a lot of ants congregating - they hang around to eat the honeydew the hoppers secrete. And make it "interesting" to lean in close for photos. I've had far too many running up my arms, across my face etc.

We're doing OK in this awful weather, just wet and soggy. And as our house is still severely damaged from the hail storm last October, the rain is a worry, although our roof is still tarped compliments of the SES back then. My heart breaks for the poor people in the Lismore & Sydney areas, as well as southern Queensland. It's almost unbelievable how much rain they got. The local birds are desperate for food, there is no nectar for parrots, not much around for the meat eaters, and the poor pigeons and doves look so wet and miserable. Our "yard" magpies have taken shelter near the house under the eaves. One on top of the hose reel, it's mate on the hot water heater. They have already figured that loud calls through the nearby bedroom window will bring "mum" outside with the pot of meat! Yes, I'm a bit of a softy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, cbimages said:

Thanks Gen, yeah, those treehoppers are everywhere right now, but so small. Not sure if you can see in the photo, but as well as the large nymph to the right of the pair, there are lots of smaller ones on the branches too. I worked out to look for a lot of ants congregating - they hang around to eat the honeydew the hoppers secrete. And make it "interesting" to lean in close for photos. I've had far too many running up my arms, across my face etc.

We're doing OK in this awful weather, just wet and soggy. And as our house is still severely damaged from the hail storm last October, the rain is a worry, although our roof is still tarped compliments of the SES back then. My heart breaks for the poor people in the Lismore & Sydney areas, as well as southern Queensland. It's almost unbelievable how much rain they got. The local birds are desperate for food, there is no nectar for parrots, not much around for the meat eaters, and the poor pigeons and doves look so wet and miserable. Our "yard" magpies have taken shelter near the house under the eaves. One on top of the hose reel, it's mate on the hot water heater. They have already figured that loud calls through the nearby bedroom window will bring "mum" outside with the pot of meat! Yes, I'm a bit of a softy!

 

Yes, and not only wildlife is affected but also cattle, sheep, horses. Cattle has been in water with no food for over a week. I read that udders can fall off! Eekk!! Poor things. 

 

Talking about being a softie, the farm owners have just texted that they're coming back early, either tonight or tomorrow. Their kelpie will need some re-adaptation. I doubt he gets cuddles in bed in the morning or have siesta with them. Naughty of us, I hope we didn't give him too bad habits. The sad thing about house sitting is that we get so attached to the dogs we care for. We miss them terribly when we leave. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope you're all not too sick of my bugs and beasties. But here's more of the same. Some Lantana Treehoppers, introduced to Ausralia as a biological pest control that went a bit wrong. They are amazingly small. Then a delightful Mumma Huntsman spider, hidden under a large hunk of paperbark and sitting on her egg sac, a jewel bug eating from a flower - this bug had a damaged left wing, so I had to get creative as to how I took my photos. Lastly, once of my recent favourites, a pair of native earwigs mating on a grass stalk with a wandering ladybeetle getting into the photo too. It's a miracle they're all in focus. 
lantana-treehoppers-aconophora-compressa

brown-huntsman-spider-heteropoda-jugulan

metallic-jewel-bug-scutiphora-pedicellat

pair-of-mating-earwigs-elaunon-bipartitu

  • Love 2
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Michael Ventura said:

I will never get tired of seeing your bugs and beasties!! They are always spectacular and so fun to these critters!

Thanks Michael, that's so kind of you. We're coming into autumn now, and it's getting cooler, so not as many things about. But what is around is different from a few weeks ago. Seems to be a lot of spiders now, especially the massive female Golden Orb Weavers. It can be hard to walk around as their webs are everywhere, and I try not to damage them. There's also a lot of insect sex going on!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The tree hoppers are a very interesting-looking  bug! Umm…I also take pictures of spiders in spite of being terrified of them!

Too bad about autumn slowing down the bug encounters. The bugs will soon be thriving here.

  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love your bugs, too. I hope to be visiting the Smithsonian in DC in a couple of weeks and I am excited that it has an insect zoo. I don't think I would have been attracted to that before seeing your images. You have made me a fan of the little beasties.

 

Paulette

  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

The tree hoppers are a very interesting-looking  bug! Umm…I also take pictures of spiders in spite of being terrified of them!

Too bad about autumn slowing down the bug encounters. The bugs will soon be thriving here.

 

5 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I love your bugs, too. I hope to be visiting the Smithsonian in DC in a couple of weeks and I am excited that it has an insect zoo. I don't think I would have been attracted to that before seeing your images. You have made me a fan of the little beasties.

 

Paulette

Thanks Betty, yes, I never even knew these treehoppers/leafhoppers/planthoppers existed until recently. Now I've found lots of different species, some still to process.  I hope you have a great bug season! And what a trouper you are with the spiders.

Paulette, you are so kind, thank you. I do hope your visit to the Smithsonian is great, and I'm a little jealous of an insect zoo! I googled it and it looks really interesting, and no mosquitos or leeches to bite you there!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Late as usual.

 

19th century bandstand in Arboretum park Lincoln.

19th-century-bandstand-in-arboretum-park-lincoln-city-2022-2HTF7RP.jpg
 
 

Lincoln Cathedral from the Brayford pool Lincoln.

lincoln-cathedral-from-the-brayford-pool-lincoln-city-2022-2HWDCJA.jpg
 
 

Van driver vaping while sat in van on tea break.

van-driver-vaping-while-sat-in-van-on-tea-break-2HXFFMJ.jpg
 
 
Allan
 
Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/03/2022 at 22:12, cbimages said:

Thanks Michael, that's so kind of you. We're coming into autumn now, and it's getting cooler, so not as many things about. But what is around is different from a few weeks ago. Seems to be a lot of spiders now, especially the massive female Golden Orb Weavers. It can be hard to walk around as their webs are everywhere, and I try not to damage them. There's also a lot of insect sex going on!

I'm sure you miss the water, but we're privileged to see your terra firma wildlife. Stunning.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More of the same. A bit more sex, dragonflies mating on a grass seed head, a cute little praying mantis, it's been living on the same bush for a few weeks now, a mantid lacewing, often called a mantis fly and a glasswing butterfly eating.
common-bluetail-damselfly-ischnura-heter

praying-mantis-garden-mantid-orthodera-m

mantid-lacewing-austromantispa-imbecilla

glasswing-butterfly-acraea-andromacha-ea

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/03/2022 at 19:39, cbimages said:

Paulette, you are so kind, thank you. I do hope your visit to the Smithsonian is great, and I'm a little jealous of an insect zoo! I googled it and it looks really interesting, and no mosquitos or leeches to bite you there!!!!!!

 

Alas, my trip to DC has been cancelled. Our friend is going to be having to get chemo before a new surgery. Such a bad situation. I know you can relate to that. I'm so glad you can keep taking your wonderful images and providing a virtual insect zoo for us. I never realized how sexy those little guys are. All that mating!

 

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I'm so glad you can keep taking your wonderful images and providing a virtual insect zoo for us.

I think I've said this before. I live in too boring a country for all this stuff. All I'd get would be slugs at the moment. Even a shiny beetle is a rarity.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

 

Alas, my trip to DC has been cancelled. Our friend is going to be having to get chemo before a new surgery. Such a bad situation. I know you can relate to that. I'm so glad you can keep taking your wonderful images and providing a virtual insect zoo for us. I never realized how sexy those little guys are. All that mating!

 

Paulette

 

That's a shame Paulette, sad for both of you.  DC is at it's best in the Spring!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NYCat said:

 

Alas, my trip to DC has been cancelled. Our friend is going to be having to get chemo before a new surgery. Such a bad situation. I know you can relate to that. I'm so glad you can keep taking your wonderful images and providing a virtual insect zoo for us. I never realized how sexy those little guys are. All that mating!

 

Paulette

I'm sorry to hear, both of your cancelled trip and your poor friend. I hope the treatment works and is not too awful. And is successful.

A little story about insect sex. I'm getting the usual pre-medical stress. It all started on Wednesday, a doctors appt, Thursday a counselling session, Friday I had bloods. Monday I am having a PET scan, so starting my rest today and low carb diet tomorrow. Next Thursday I see the medical oncologist for results, and the following Monday I see the radiation oncologist to see if the active cancer that could not be cut out has been knocked out by his treatment. I am naturally feeling quite worried/fragile and upset.

Anyway, on Wednesday right at the end of our time out with the camera, I took one last walk down to my favourite spot, while hubby waited in the car. There was a pair of mating dragonflies flitting around, not letting me get close, but it was lovely to see them. Just seeing them made me smile. Then, as I was standing and just looking over a patch of grass, there was a loud buzzing, and the dragonflies landed on my chest, next to my heart, where my breast used to be. They only stayed a few seconds, but what a treat, and it brought tears to my eyes. It also calmed me down and made me realise that whatever happens over the coming week or so, that there is still lots of wonderful things for me to experience.

  • Love 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, cbimages said:

I'm sorry to hear, both of your cancelled trip and your poor friend. I hope the treatment works and is not too awful. And is successful.

A little story about insect sex. I'm getting the usual pre-medical stress. It all started on Wednesday, a doctors appt, Thursday a counselling session, Friday I had bloods. Monday I am having a PET scan, so starting my rest today and low carb diet tomorrow. Next Thursday I see the medical oncologist for results, and the following Monday I see the radiation oncologist to see if the active cancer that could not be cut out has been knocked out by his treatment. I am naturally feeling quite worried/fragile and upset.

Anyway, on Wednesday right at the end of our time out with the camera, I took one last walk down to my favourite spot, while hubby waited in the car. There was a pair of mating dragonflies flitting around, not letting me get close, but it was lovely to see them. Just seeing them made me smile. Then, as I was standing and just looking over a patch of grass, there was a loud buzzing, and the dragonflies landed on my chest, next to my heart, where my breast used to be. They only stayed a few seconds, but what a treat, and it brought tears to my eyes. It also calmed me down and made me realise that whatever happens over the coming week or so, that there is still lots of wonderful things for me to experience.

 

You're in my thoughts Carol. You're such a strong and inspiring woman! And I love your insects so much!

I was once in a village selling books to the owner of a bookshop. His father had just died a few days earlier and he was very upset. We were outside his bookshop by my car with the boot open when a pigeon landed on the boot right next to us. The owner said 'perhaps it's my Dad saying hello'. I thought it was very touching.

 

Edited by gvallee
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Black Stingrays (Dasyatis thetidis) in shallow water on the beach, Hamelin Bay, Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park, Western Australia, WA, Australia

 

I had prepared my GoPro and its dome to take half-in half-out pix but the sea was too rough for it. The visibility was no good either with sand floating. 

 

2J0FMBR.jpg

 

2J0FMBY.jpg

 

2J0FMBW.jpg

  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, cbimages said:

I'm sorry to hear, both of your cancelled trip and your poor friend. I hope the treatment works and is not too awful. And is successful.

A little story about insect sex. I'm getting the usual pre-medical stress. It all started on Wednesday, a doctors appt, Thursday a counselling session, Friday I had bloods. Monday I am having a PET scan, so starting my rest today and low carb diet tomorrow. Next Thursday I see the medical oncologist for results, and the following Monday I see the radiation oncologist to see if the active cancer that could not be cut out has been knocked out by his treatment. I am naturally feeling quite worried/fragile and upset.

Anyway, on Wednesday right at the end of our time out with the camera, I took one last walk down to my favourite spot, while hubby waited in the car. There was a pair of mating dragonflies flitting around, not letting me get close, but it was lovely to see them. Just seeing them made me smile. Then, as I was standing and just looking over a patch of grass, there was a loud buzzing, and the dragonflies landed on my chest, next to my heart, where my breast used to be. They only stayed a few seconds, but what a treat, and it brought tears to my eyes. It also calmed me down and made me realise that whatever happens over the coming week or so, that there is still lots of wonderful things for me to experience.

 

Such a nice story. The world can seem wonderfully amazing sometimes when we are paying attention.

 

Paulette

  • Love 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.