Winter Subjects?

The leaves are off the trees, it's cold and there's a breeze. Winter has settled in, and. we take it on the chine. Besides this awful rhyme, what's up in winter time?

I've been shooting a lot of signs. Signs outside of restaurants and shops. Sale signs. Street signs. Do they sell? They do! I've had 47 sign snaps licenced in the past year. And some have sold for $$$. I shoot a lot of tabletop food, too. But I've only had 12 sales on those. 

sign-liverpool-2HG66H7.jpg

message-sign-inside-a-pizzeria-in-liverp

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3

there are times when the harshness of winter light works, but over many years, I have found that green and lush is much in favour with buyers of landscape with the exception of a few catalogue publishers. Digital gives us the possibility of opening up deep shadows to help but waiting for spring is better. So, signs & architecture may be your safer way to go. I remember my years in Canada when winter seems to last for about half the year. In January, they are not thinking Spring will be along soon. My friends & family in Ottawa & Montreal are currently digging out from the best part of a foot of snow. Halifax and Vancouver are a different story

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert M Estall said:

there are times when the harshness of winter light works, but over many years, I have found that green and lush is much in favour with buyers of landscape with the exception of a few catalogue publishers. Digital gives us the possibility of opening up deep shadows to help but waiting for spring is better. So, signs & architecture may be your safer way to go. I remember my years in Canada when winter seems to last for about half the year. In January, they are not thinking Spring will be along soon.

ah yes the six months harshness of the Canadian winter.  

5C yesterday, riding my bike...  😉  (sorry the "6 months winter" has been a major anti bike-infrastructure rallying call from the car culture crowd....) .   

upcoming week is a wild ride.  Morning temp forecast of next 3 days: -16, 4, -10....

as for winter subject,  Alamy claims that "Weather is always in the news" (of course if you are in place where your News doesn't really use Alamy that doesn't help much, but i still have fun shooting, and it does have stock side appeal)

)2HFBXH4.jpg....

not much sales, but i like environmental animal shots....   

2HF75T1.jpg

for signs recently doing more sign of times sign (Mask/vaccine requirements, help wanted, closure).  Probably more short lived appeal, but useful 

• Like 1

Cold, gray and dreary here - processing old shots from warmer days.

But Ed, your recommendations are excellent. I have few signs but some have licensed multiple times, highest high $$, so I should do more (when the sun comes out - even if it's cold). Get in some steps too. Too easy to stay indoors when it's cold and gray. 

7 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I have few signs but some have licensed multiple times, highest high $$, so I should do more.

I did another review and signs are my biggest earner. I went out late at dusk today and captured 20 more. 🙂

Of course shooting signs is not highly creative, but I make sure the composition and design is on the money.

Go get 'em, Marianne!

• Thanks 1

It actually snowed in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago. I'm not doing much photography at the moment, but I did manage to get out into my neighbourhood to take a couple of shots before the rain returned with a vengeance (it didn't take long).

Snow-covered park bench and trees in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Stock Photo

Snow covered tree branches with old building in background Stock Photo

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Taking my own advice the last two afternoons, I added another 50 sign captures to my Alamy port. Dusk allows for the best sign snaps, I feel.

Boring? Yeah, but doing the caps and tags . . . that's really boring.

• Love 4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Taking my own advice the last two afternoons, I added another 50 sign captures to my Alamy port. Dusk allows for the best sign snaps, I feel.

i find your sign compositions quite interesting, i might have to reassess my views on the subject... who knew there was so much photography in sign picture taking.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ed, your photos of the Phil, you have two "N"s in "Dining".

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

On 19/01/2022 at 11:11, Ed Rooney said:

PJWDT2.jpg

Robert, I spent July, August, and September at my son's in Montreal in 2019. A perfect mild summer. 

Statues, like signs, also sell.

Pinocchio?

Allan

14 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Mark. For some strange dyslexia reason I am not ever sure which dining/dinning to use. I'll fix it. I don't have the trouble with to/too/two.

Ed, one thing to consider, you aren't the only one with such issues.  Over 30 searches for "dinning" in last year, 5 with enough results for people to actually Zoom, maybe as well throw it in the KW to give yourself a competitive advantage 

There's not many hours of light in my latitude in January. So if the sun is shining one must exploit every second. I like being able to walk on frozen sea and shoot the too usual subjects from different angle.

2HE2HFX.jpg

And when you don't get to go out while there's light available, then it's out with tripod.

2HF1XDY.jpg

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Pinocchio?

Allan

PP5T1C.jpg

Allan, in the centre of the French Canadian city of Montreal, there are two statues that face across the square at one and other, one being very French, the other English. Above is the French one:

25 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

PP5T1C.jpg

Allan, in the centre of the French Canadian city of Montreal, there are two statues that face across the square at one and other, one being very French, the other English. Above is the French one:

AH! A French Italian Pinocchio.🤨

Allan

The last time I recall that we had deep snow combined with bright sunshine was in 2010, and I made some money out of that.  One winter shot of Durham cathedral has almost made it into a cumulative $$$$.  Winters recently have been miserable, wet and cold but not much too much snow.  Freezing this evening, but no snow predicted.

Like Marianne, I've been plumbing the depths of the past and processing some old images.  Found a couple that were worth spending time on.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

They are terrific sculptures, aren't they. When I was growing up in Montreal, the term "the two solitudes" was popular. It was an apt description back then. Fortunately, things have changed quite a bit since then. There are still basically two worlds in Quebec, but Quebecers are now much better at arguing with each other in both languages.

Edited by John Mitchell