Winter Subjects?

10 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Ed, one thing to consider, you aren't the only one with such issues.  Over 30 searches for "dinning" in last year, 5 with enough results for people to actually Zoom, maybe as well throw it in the KW to give yourself a competitive advantage 

One of my earliest sales was made when someone used the same misspelling I had for the name of a lighthouse. Ed, you are definitely not alone. 

Edit: PS that particular image (taken in 2009) has earned me $$$$ net here and elsewhere - for years it was my top-grossing image for license fees and it is still close.  (@Bryan - nice when that happens, isn't it?) 

Edited by Marianne
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Trying to get away from the Helsinki winter, were you, Jani? (teehee)

Well, worse the weather in New York, cheaper the flights from Helsinki. I think it's called inverse proportion in English. Been there twice in February and that time it was even worse than Helsinki. Anyways, this year I'm going in May. 

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Reimar said:

My images finally went up today.  Some like it cold...

Woman with hat in ice hole for a cold water swim in winter with dog and spectators at Kempenfelt Bay Lake Simcoe Barrie Ontario Stock Photo

graceful-young-woman-leaning-head-into-ice-water-during-a-cold-water-swim-in-winter-at-kempenfelt-bay-lake-simcoe-barrie-ontario-2HG5G52.jpg

You have click the nude one.  I can't get it to fit.

I don't get this activity at all.  Is it really suppose to be somehow good for you??  I can take 20c water if I have to.   I can more understand the benefits of a sauna, hot tub or steam bath but these extreme environments are no fun for me!  With the ice cold water, it just feels like my heart is stopping and with the heat, I feel like I'm being cooked alive (sauna especially).

29 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I don't get this activity at all.  Is it really suppose to be somehow good for you??  I can take 20c water if I have to.   I can more understand the benefits of a sauna, hot tub or steam bath but these extreme environments are no fun for me!  With the ice cold water, it just feels like my heart is stopping and with the heat, I feel like I'm being cooked alive (sauna especially).

I hear you.  I won't be dipping into 0 degree water - ever.  But these practitioners treat it a bit like a religious experience.  I think some endorphins are involved.  Just surviving is a big plus as far as I can see.  There appear to be some health benefits, but some risks too.

• Love 1

I remember people cutting a hole in the ice off Kingston and swimming but they had at least wet suits or even warm suits and they swam under the ice but at least they were tethered and there were people at hand to quickly pull them out. Lake Ontario never got warmer than bracing unless you were lucky enough to find a gently sloping sandy beach. Nobody in their right mind ventured in before July. Same holds true for any UK coasts

Edited by Robert M Estall

6 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

Sure, I'll vote for the pizza over dipping in a frozen lake every time. I know cold water swimming is a big thing many places at the moment, but it's not without its dangers, certainly don't ever do it alone

I'm with you there. I can't stand the cold. We were once walking somewhere in mainland Europe in summertime and had to wade a river. I just about got across but the pain in my bare feet was awful. Further downstream people were swimming - I just don't get it. 

On to a more pleasant subject, we shared a pizza this evening, accompanied by salad. Rocket is a hardy plant that can stand the winter cold on our allotment. It gives lettuce, that won't take an English winter,  a welcome boost. Made a simple dressing using olive oil, white wine vinegar and honey, very nice. Should have warped out the camera.

22 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I'm with you. Vancouver has an annual polar bear swim, but this little bear prefers to stay warm at home hibernating. I was surprised to see how many images of this chilly event are on Alamy.

Edited by John Mitchell

Brrrr! I assume they still have a polar bear swim on the the Atlantic edge of Brooklyn every winter. I say 'assume' because I found it too cold to subway out to the shore to snap pictures of them. 

I've added a lot of signs to my port in the last few weeks. But I've fallen behind in my tagging. I shall catch up today! I shall, I shall. (Hopefully). 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Brrrr! I assume they still have a polar bear swim on the the Atlantic edge of Brooklyn every winter. I say 'assume' because I found it too cold to subway out to the shore to snap pictures of them. 

I've added a lot of signs to my port in the last few weeks. But I've fallen behind in my tagging. I shall catch up today! I shall, I shall. (Hopefully). 

You can do it. Oh YES you CAN.

Allan

10 minutes ago, Tatiana said:

I was very interested in you because signs sell well.
Do you think there is a demand for signs not in English. I currently live in Vilnius, Lithuania. And only signs in Lithuanian are available.

Maybe look for international brands with a Lithuanian slant? I'd also try and add some context, so avoiding too tight a crop on a sign which could potentially be seen as a copyright infringement.

Phil

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

Возможно, вы можете захватить рынок литовскими вывесками, но я боюсь, что это не станет мировым бестселлером.

Before this forum, I didn't even know that such content could be sold. ))))))

4 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Может быть, искать международные бренды с литовским уклоном? Я также попытался бы добавить некоторый контекст, поэтому избегайте слишком узкой обрезки вывески, которая потенциально может рассматриваться как нарушение авторских прав.

Thanks a lot! Useful note.

• Love 1