Favourite uploads January 2022

cbimages

51 minutes ago, cbimages said:

A few from the latest bug batch. The first couple for Gen......

A  winged Arkys spider, size of a 1 cent piece. Absolutely flat and looked like a discoloured spot on the leaf, until I realised it was too uniform. 

winged-arkys-spider-arkys-alatus-also-kn

A beautiful Orb Weaver spider, she's just moulted and still attached to her exoskelton by a silk thread. A difficult shot in that she was in the middle of a massive web, and I did not want to touch any strands and scare her.
australian-golden-orb-weaver-spider-neph

A female damselfly
common-flatwing-damselfly-austroargioles

And my favourite find.....a katydid nymph, the most amazing colours.
naskreckis-bush-katydid-ozphyllum-naskre

Wow Carol, you've outdone yourself!! I have yet to see an Arkys, love their shape. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Wow Carol, you've outdone yourself!! I have yet to see an Arkys, love their shape. 

It was amazingly well camouflaged. I had to take a photo and zoom on the screen to even realise it was a spider. Without the flash, it was just another dead area in a leaf. I showed hubby and he couldn't see it, even when I used the end of my tweezers to almost touch it. It was pure luck, I'd been bending over shooting something and got a bit dizzy when I stood up, so was just standing and waiting to feel better....and there it was. Then I found the katydid nymph less than 100m away.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, cbimages said:

A few from the latest bug batch. The first couple for Gen......

A  winged Arkys spider, size of a 1 cent piece. Absolutely flat and looked like a discoloured spot on the leaf, until I realised it was too uniform. 

winged-arkys-spider-arkys-alatus-also-kn

A beautiful Orb Weaver spider, she's just moulted and still attached to her exoskelton by a silk thread. A difficult shot in that she was in the middle of a massive web, and I did not want to touch any strands and scare her.
australian-golden-orb-weaver-spider-neph

A female damselfly
common-flatwing-damselfly-austroargioles

And my favourite find.....a katydid nymph, the most amazing colours.
naskreckis-bush-katydid-ozphyllum-naskre

The eyes in the first one are so expressive!

Paulette

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

She's something alright.

Carol, how is your health doing? Just ignore me if I'm being intrusive.

Your question reminds me what an impressive group of women we have on this forum, you all are tough, talented and delightful.  Sometimes I feel like an utter wimp by comparison.  Some of you are turning over rocks to find little creatures, others venturing into extreme and remote climates for great photos. Some are nurturing and caring for small animals and insects, all the while battling serious health issues.  I am in awe of all of you!

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

She's something alright.

Carol, how is your health doing? Just ignore me if I'm being intrusive.

Thanks for asking Ed, and not at all intrusive. I'm doing OK, managing to increase my meds a little at a time. Many women take them with minimal side effects, but I seem to be be very susceptible and already had a day in hospital. This is the third and final  hormone blocker I can try, so it's imperative I persevere - it slows the tumour growth in about 50% of women, so fingers xxx'd I'm in that group. I'll have bloods the week after next to see if my tumour markers have stabilised, or gone up or down. If up, I'll have another scan to see tumour growth. And will need to start on the "big guns". One of my dearest friends of 50 years was diagnosed with another type of cancer 2 days before Xmas, and lives 500 km from me, and is alone without any living family. I've been trying to give him moral support, which has upset me greatly and made me feel very vulnerable for myself. And on Friday, another friend told me she'd had to take her husband to emergency during the night with severe pain. They had thought a blood clot, but by mid morning scans showed "something" in some lymph nodes, and by mid afternoon, he got a cancer diagnosis, with it appearing to have spread to multiple organs. So that news has really hit me hard. 

Thank goodness I can get out with the camera for a while most days, even if the weather is not the best. It really helps to clear my mind. My husband will turn 82 in August, and sometimes struggles over uneven ground, but he's s trouper and mainly keeps up with me too.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Your question reminds me what an impressive group of women we have on this forum, you all are tough, talented and delightful.  Sometimes I feel like an utter wimp by comparison.  Some of you are turning over rocks to find little creatures, others venturing into extreme and remote climates for great photos. Some are nurturing and caring for small animals and insects, all the while battling serious health issues.  I am in awe of all of you!

Thanks Michael. I'd like to say they breed em tough in aussie, but I was born in UK, and I seem to think so was Gen????

• Like 1

I was absolutely terrified when I was diagnosed with cancer. I am one of the very, very lucky ones and I have a friend who had a much worse situation than mine and is sailing along now. They do have a lot of weapons against it these days. Fingers and toes crossed that your latest treatment has success.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I was absolutely terrified when I was diagnosed with cancer. I am one of the very, very lucky ones and I have a friend who had a much worse situation than mine and is sailing along now. They do have a lot of weapons against it these days. Fingers and toes crossed that your latest treatment has success.

Paulette

I hope you remain "lucky" Paulette and this horrid thing never touches you again. I'm keeping positive, and helping with a few protocols from my integrative GP as well. The latest a savage detox program, that I can only do a couple of days at a time. Maybe it's doing me good, as my latest bloods show my liver function is excellent - in spite of two tumours in the right lobe. I know that if I can stay well, both physically and mentally, I'll have a better chance for a decent future.

Thanks for your thoughts. xxx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

Thanks Michael. I'd like to say they breed em tough in aussie, but I was born in UK, and I seem to think so was Gen????

Not so, unfortunately. I'm French 😒. But I did manage to escape 37 years ago... 🎈🎈

7 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Michael, you are a beautiful, kind, compassionate soul, one I admire on this Forum. I wish I had your laid back attitude. And talent.

• Love 1

I debated uploading this one for a while, but decided that even if that finger was dedicated to a fat white Gringa, she was being real, not a stereotypical "deaf girl."    What I'd wanted to get was deaf children communicating with each other through video calls.   She cooperated but added another sign. 

2HHKKN8.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 15:36, Michael Ventura said:

Me too.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Strelitzia house Lincoln

strelitzia-house-lincoln-2022-2HGHMR5.jpg

Lincoln railway station sign

lincoln-railway-station-sign-2HGHJ7H.jpg

Codebreaker puzzle book and pen

codebreaker-puzzle-book-and-pen-2HGHHF1.jpg

Mathematical bridge river Cam Queens College Cambridge

mathematical-bridge-river-cam-queens-college-cambridge-2021-2HDH0DG.jpg

Posting first class letter in royal mail letter box

posting-first-class-letter-in-royal-mail-letter-box-2021-2HDH164.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

More bugs from me, plus something a bit bigger too.
Jumping spider

garden-jumping-spider-opisthoncus-parced

An adult Sawfly, apparently not too often seen, And for this one, non of the "experts" have been able to ID to species level.
adult-sawfly-family-pergidae-species-unk

Sex on the leaves. Figleaf beetles making a new generation. Taken slightly from the rear to get that sex organ in.
fig-leaf-beetles-poneridia-semipullata-o

From my visit before Xmas to the flying fox camp. Mum with pup.
grey-headed-flying-foxes-pteropus-polioc

• Love 1
  • Like 4

I took this shot some years ago and found it while cleaning out the garbage on my hard drive. It tells of an unfortunate young man, aged 23, who was killed by the explosion of a steam locomotive boiler in 1842. His name was Thomas Hackworth Shevill.  Due to the fact that money was found for a pricey memorial, I suspect that he may have been related to the prominent railway engineer Timothy Hackworth - a contemporary of Stephenson - who may have designed the exploding boiler. I can't find anything more on the Internet.

the-gravestone-of-thomas-hackworth-shevi

Edited by Bryan