DACS payment received?

57 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

My experience is exactly the opposite. I added many more ISBN's, and my payment is about 15% less than last year's.

Wasted time and effort, it seems. 🙄

Although I wouldn't go as far as 'many', I also added titles only to receive a reduced amount. Last year was similar, and it was concluded that it comes down to the types of publications which aren't copied so frequently as others, in the change of direction that DACS has taken. Hopefully the sales via Alamy, which I leave them to claim, won't be so negatively affected.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Although I wouldn't go as far as 'many', I also added titles only to receive a reduced amount. Last year was similar, and it was concluded that it comes down to the types of publications which aren't copied so frequently as others, in the change of direction that DACS has taken. Hopefully the sales via Alamy, which I leave them to claim, won't be so negatively affected.

Interesting. Living on the other side of the pond, perhaps I should try letting Alamy file my claim next year to see if it makes any difference.

28 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting. Living on the other side of the pond, perhaps I should try letting Alamy file my claim next year to see if it makes any difference.

Are you able to calculate a ratio of publications found by you against the total number of licences to publications sold through Alamy minus their commission cut? If the difference is small then it probably isn't worth the effort.

For myself I choose to let Alamy do it because I doubt that I'd find a fraction of those licences sold.

On 02/10/2021 at 20:57, Avpics said:

For myself I choose to let Alamy do it because I doubt that I'd find a fraction of those licences sold.

You say that, but a few years ago Alamy used to tout for DACS business by emailing us with the number of eligible licences they could claim for. It was only a few more than I had found myself so I stuck with a direct claim. No way were they going to get me into a higher claim category, let alone justify 50% plus expenses. It's 60% this year, of course. Even more reason to keep their hand out of my pockets.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

You say that, but a few years ago Alamy used to tout for DACS business by emailing us with the number of eligible licences they could claim for. It was only a few more than I had found myself so I stuck with a direct claim. No way were they going to get me into a higher claim category, let alone justify 50% plus expenses. It's 60% this year, of course. Even more reason to keep their hand out of my pockets.

I'd consider it more if I had more time, but my current priorities are getting a backlog of images on sale and finding and keeping track of all the images which Alamy allow to be taken but don't record as a sale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jools Elliott said:

Curiosity. Has anyone NOT received their payback yet? i'm still waiting on mine and logging into my account it says that it has been allocated. Statements don't appear to be there either which is a little frustrating.

Figured out why. And just had my statement. Up very nicely this year. I suspect because a long time getting ISBN and ISSN numbers for my stuff. 

• Like 1

On 02/10/2021 at 12:57, Avpics said:

Are you able to calculate a ratio of publications found by you against the total number of licences to publications sold through Alamy minus their commission cut? If the difference is small then it probably isn't worth the effort.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the most of my sales are to publishers outside the UK, so probably not worth the math.

It was in my bank account last week.  This year was double last year - biggest jump I've had. During the year, I look for UK uses from time to time and keep a running list, so it's not too hard to do it myself. I think the addition of UK websites may have helped. Anyway, it was a nice sum. 

• Like 1

Mmm... in spite of adding more ISBN and ISSN numbers and listing lots of websites, my DACS payment fell 30%. :( Shame DACS don't give more of a breakdown. Maybe I just had fewer matches this year? Previously I had some uses in Oxford University Exam study materials which perhaps helped with Schools copying current exam materials last year?

2016 - £63.42

2017 - £92.08

2018 - £95.37

2019 - £214.73

2020 - £148.39

Mark 

Well we've known for a few years that the payments were going to fall after the CLA rights grab renegotiation. Maybe the separation into parts 1 and 2 has just camouflaged that cut.

My part 1 has gone down 40% and my part 2 15%. Overall 22%.

Still my best hourly rate by a long way, outside film work.

Edited by spacecadet

Mark please see below from DACs:

Due to the success of Payback, we have more people claiming than ever. This is fantastic news but puts increasing pressure on the money available; the majority of which is calculated by the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) each year.

https://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/payback/payback-changes

Nigel

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Due to the success of Payback, we have more people claiming than ever. This is fantastic news but puts increasing pressure on the money available; the majority of which is calculated by the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) each year.

Nigel

One reason that there is less to go around is that DACS is open to anybody in the world who has UK image sales - and Alamy, and other agencies have taken advantage of that. Seems like money for nothing to all their contributors who never previously claimed. And best of luck to them.

All I would say is that other countries are not as generous and limit claims to residents of that country. 

Just an observation not really a grumble as I am delighted with my payment this year - by far the highest ever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

Just checked Andy last year was 26th Oct through A so might be later in month.

Thanks, Andy.  I'm smiling again! 😁

BTW, I've a commission for the Farmers Journal tomorrow morning near Bantry, coffee in Skibb afterwards?

5 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Thanks, Andy.  I'm smiling again! 😁

BTW, I've a commission for the Farmers Journal tomorrow morning near Bantry, coffee in Skibb afterwards?

Andy,

If you haven't done it would be worth logging in and checking that your claim has been allocated. A couple of years ago I waited and waited and the payment never arrived. It turned out that though I had submitted Part 1 I had never submitted Part 2.

Fortunately they hold some money back and were able to make a payment even though it was less than I would otherwise have got. 

DACS remains a shining light in our world of stock.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Andy,

If you haven't done it would be worth logging in and checking that your claim has been allocated. A couple of years ago I waited and waited and the payment never arrived. It turned out that though I had submitted Part 1 I had never submitted Part 2.

Fortunately they hold some money back and were able to make a payment even though it was less than I would otherwise have got. 

DACS remains a shining light in our world of stock.

I rely on A***y to process my DACS thing, Ian - I know I wouldn't be able to find any of my usages.

2 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I rely on A***y to process my DACS thing, Ian - I know I wouldn't be able to find any of my usages.

Okay, I think it is just people who claim direct that are posting here. I guess it will take a bit longer for Alamy to divvy it all out. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Okay, I think it is just people who claim direct that are posting here. I guess it will take a bit longer for Alamy to divvy it all out. 

Alamy paid out on the 26th October last year.

7 hours ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Nigel

Thanks

Mark

• Thanks 1

does anyone know if Alamy pursues Part 1
(ISBNs, ISSNs, TV, etc) & to what degree?
as one who individually pursues Part 2
& has always been maxxed, but doesn't
pursue
Part 1. if I see my Part 2 shrink to,
say, below $300US, does it then make
sense to let Alamy pursue because even
at 50/50 my Part 1 could cover plus some...??
(factoid: 2019=$534US, 2020=?? don't know yet)
someone please help me understand, will ya mates... 

⁉️ ⁉️ ⁉️ ⁉️ 

Edited by FocusUno

Part 1 is the total numbers of images used in books/magazines - you add to your cumulative total each year.

Part 2 is the amount due for uses matched with records kept in schools/libraries and so on - ie) institutions that purchase a secondary use licence. This is where you need to find the ISBN/ISSN details in order to find matches with actual uses. 

As we know the proportion given to Part 2 is gradually increasing. I can't find the actual figures on the DACS site. I think it grows to 40% for education use and less for other uses. But that is just from memory. 

Part 1 is always going to be the higher percentage and as far as I know there is no 'max out'. If there once was I don't think it exists now.

I also assume that anything Alamy claim will now mean that they keep 60%. Alamy also charge an undisclosed admin fee. My guess would be that they pick up the easy stuff but don't put in the same effort that an individual could. Alamy have repeatedly stated that they do not routinely know the ISSN/ISBN numbers so have to spend time and money finding this. 

Yanks should be campaigning for USA to have a similar system - there is no system for universities/ schools/libraries etc to buy a licence to use copyrighted material. So they either don't copy it or do and just don't pay. 

Edited by geogphotos

Ours is 1.8 times more than last year.

Incidentally, DACS amount is 20 times more than the net we have received from Alamy this year so far.

The amount of tax withheld by the UK government is now large enough to bother jumping through the hoops to get it back (USA-based business here).

We do license a lot to UK textbooks via a distributor. We probably find only ~20% of the uses...

GI

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit slow to the party and i've only just noticed that I had my DACS payment on the 1st. October!

It's down 12 % from last year. Only added a few ISBNs, but more than last year.

Still good money for little work, although searching for ISBNs is a pain!

John