PS - not giving JPEG save option

I0000iL_mWZORa2w.jpg

This image has been adjusted using the geometry tool in ACR.

I want to save as a JPEG but there is no option.

Sometimes I can save as PNG then reopen and save as JPEG but that didn't work on this one.

Also tried saving this as a Photoshop file and reopening but still couldn't save as JPEG.

This has never happened previously so assume that it is due to some automatic update to Photoshop 2021.

Any suggestions on how to get over this problem.

Thanks

Ian

I've never had to flatten layers before but I think that you are on the right track there Bryan. Thanks.

Have never intentionally had anything to do with layers. 

Edited by geogphotos

Thanks Bryan. I've found the Layers option and the menu including 'flatten'.

Then I can save as a JPEG.

I wonder why this additional step is now necessary when I have never had to do this before. 

If you use the geometry tool in ACR or Lightroom and open the image in Photoshop, it puts the image on a layer rather than on a background layer (normally images processed in ACR will open with just a single background layer). There is only one layer in the image but, because it is not a background layer, it can't be saved as a JPEG. Flattening the image is one way to get around this as Bryan says. Another is to use the command Layer - New - Background From Layer. Another is to just Save a Copy which gives the option of saving as JPEG. In the case of a single layer file it doesn't matter which way you do it but there could be other reasons to use one or the other method.

Edited by MDM

Perhaps this article on PetaPixel will shed some light on the problem. It seems that Adobe have had to alter the way the Save As command functions to work around changes to the Apple operating system. 

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

Perhaps you may be able to save directly to JPEG without flattening by using the new Save a Copy command? (I'm afaid I can't test it because I'm still using CS6 on Windows, which is able save multi-layer files directly to a JPEG using the Save As command. )

6 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Perhaps this article on PetaPixel will shed some light on the problem. It seems that Adobe have had to alter the way the Save As command functions to work around changes to the Apple operating system. 

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

Perhaps you may be able to save directly to JPEG without flattening by using the new Save a Copy command? (I'm afaid I can't test it because I'm still using CS6 on Windows, which is able save multi-layer files directly to a JPEG using the Save As command. )

Many thanks:

As part of its May 2021 release of Photoshop on Desktop — version 22.4 — Adobe made a significant change to how the “Save As” command works. Rather than continuing to act as it has across applications on all computers for decades, Adobe altered the basic functionality and has left users baffled. 

In an update that was pushed out last week, Adobe notes that it has added a new save feature called “Save a Copy” to the traditional “Save” and “Save As” commands that have existed in applications for nearly as long as software has existed.

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have always had to flatten layers to save to a JPEG in PS.

That is true for multi-layered files. However, if it is a single layer (rather than a single background layer or a multilayered file), then you can just use the Layer - New - Background From Layer command which does the same thing. 

Good to know that has sorted some problems ! 

I use a series of PS Actions to save JPGs to specific locations, normally geographically related.  The first two commands are Flatten Image, followed by Convert Mode ( to 8 bits) as I always shoot raw and then edit a LR converted TIFF in 16 bits. 

Couldn't live without layers, one of the most useful features in PS. 

I've never consciously used layers before.

In the past when there is an image like this that has been altered significantly in ACR geometry I have had to select save as copy, then been able to delete the copy part of the file name in the 'Save as ' dialogue panel and just save as normal.  If the image had only been corrected a smallish amount I have just saved as JPEG without ever doing anything else.

You go along for ages quite happy in a set routine and then something throws it out of sync. Just shows I can use Photoshop but understand very little about it. 

Thank you to everybody for your help. The forum at its best. 😁

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

Alternatively, in Photoshop on Mac, Preferences>File handling..., tick enable Legacy "Save As..." (providing you're happy to avoid accidentally overwriting stuff).

I have PS set that way, no need to flatten images before saving and none of that annoying "copy" being appended to the name.

Not sure if the same applies on Windows.

Mark 

Edited by M.Chapman

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Does this mean that it doesn't give the warning that there is already a file with the same name?

Obviously I could check for  myself but just wondered and am away from my Mac

It warns me if I try to "Save as" using a jpg filename that already exists in the same folder.

The reason I mentioned that there was a danger of overwriting is, when setting the "Legacy saving" mode, PS gives this warning.

"When reverting to legacy “Save As”, the word “copy” will no longer be appended to your filename when saving a copy. Enabling this option might cause accidental document overwriting and loss of work due to identical file names."

But it seems, in reality, that PS (or MacOS?) warns of the danger anyway. So I'm really not sure what the advantage of NOT selecting legacy "Save as" mode is, unless you like having the word "copy" added to filenames and want to have to manually flatten "multi-layer" images before saving as jpg.

Maybe Michael (MDM) will enlighten us?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

It warns me if I try to "Save as" using a jpg filename that already exists in the same folder.

The reason I mentioned that there was a danger of overwriting is, when setting the "Legacy saving" mode, PS gives this warning.

"When reverting to legacy “Save As”, the word “copy” will no longer be appended to your filename when saving a copy. Enabling this option might cause accidental document overwriting and loss of work due to identical file names."

But it seems, in reality, the PS (or MacOS?) warns of the danger anyway. So I'm really not sure what the advantage of NOT selecting legacy "Save as" mode is, unless you like having the word "copy" added to filenames and want to have to manually flatten "multi-layer" images before saving as jpg.

Maybe Michael (MDM) will enlighten us?

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Legacy sounds ideal for me. The fewest steps in the process the better.