Coupons for our images???

Turns out there are lots of links to coupons. Who knew? One of the sites described things this way:

"Alamy.com is a major US retailer that provides essential products & services at www.alamy.com. Alamy.com competes with other major online retailers such as Target, Amazon, and Walmart. Alamy.com sells mid-range priced items on its website and partner sites in the extremely competitive online e-commerce industry. When it comes to discount code availability, Alamy.com actively and frequently issues coupons and promotional codes. Alamy.com is a very popular brand when it comes to promotional codes, with thousands of shoppers searching for Alamy.com coupon codes and deals each month."

Target, Amazon, and Walmart......

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good grief.. as if the lowered royalty fees aren`t enough... and look at the expiry dates... how disheartening!.. I see the big G offers coupon codes as well... maybe I should get out before I`m in too deep.

4 hours ago, sb photos said:

To me those coupon codes indicate desperation and a race to the bottom.

I think the race to the bottom, for the stock photo markjet generally, is essentially over. The main players are now bumping along the bottom, the libraries do not really have anywhere to go. It will just be a matter of time before their 'premium' customers find another way of sourcing images.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sb photos said:

To me those coupon codes indicate desperation and a race to the bottom.

For me, the problem seems to be that Alamy doesn’t appear to appreciate its uniqueness, at least the great editorial content that has always been its strong point.  Instead, they are trying to compete with microstock, but with the wrong kind of library to compete. 
Maybe we should start producing microstock-type imagery that fits with the prices we’re now getting.

Start shooting more of those pieces of fruit, brick walls, isolated objects, folks!!

• Love 2
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

For me, the problem seems to be that Alamy doesn’t appear to appreciate its uniqueness, at least the great editorial content that has always been its strong point.  Instead, they are trying to compete with microstock, but with the wrong kind of library to compete. 
Maybe we should start producing microstock-type imagery that fits with the prices we’re now getting.

Start shooting more of those pieces of fruit, brick walls, isolated objects, folks!!

i wonder if Alamy attracts any of these customers however.   

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That's old-school microstock, Betty.

What's selling nowadays on micro is released images of multicultural groups of people doing 'real' things.

(Note: I'm not saying it's easy [or even possible, for most people] to break even with these expensive shoots.)

2 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

That's old-school microstock, Betty.

What's selling nowadays on micro is released images of multicultural groups of people doing 'real' things.

(Note: I'm not saying it's easy [or even possible, for most people] to break even with these expensive shoots.)

I haven’t looked at microstock in forever, so I’m not aware. When I very first started, I submitted there. After a couple of months, when I read about what microstock was doing to hard-working stock photographers, I quit submitting and joined Alamy. I think I have a handful of images there (a dozen, maybe?)  that I totally forgot about until I recently got an email.
While I’m not a earn-your-living stock photographer, I respect those who are, and never wanted to be one who hurt their means of earning income. That way of thinking was like my trying to stop a river with a sheet of plywood, but I didn’t have to feel bad about myself.
It seems things are beyond that, now, the damage is done, so it doesn’t matter. I guess. The old-timers have to scramble and do what they must, and I’m so sorry about the demise of what used to be….for them. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Fill up at my local petrol station and you can get a free gift: a nodding dog for the dashboard, a car freshener in the shape of a Christmas tree, or my entire portfolio of pictures... 😟

I've got me own Rose and Crown and Maldon High Street and Dedham Vale and stuff, so it's gotta be Churchie, I'm afraid.....No offence......

Edited by spacecadet

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

i wonder if Alamy attracts any of these customers however.   

Not so much, it seems. However, I have had the occasional sale of one the types of images that Betty mentioned.

Being "old school," I actually enjoy photographing brick walls. 👴

"... just a-nother brick in the wall ..."

5 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Not so much, it seems. However, I have had the occasional sale of one the types of images that Betty mentioned.

Being "old school," I actually enjoy photographing brick walls. 👴

"... just a-nother brick in the wall ..."

John, I have a couple of photos of a brick wall myself. I was taking senior portraits of my granddaughter, and found a wonderful brick wall as a backdrop. I couldn’t resist. Look at the face of a man with goatee on the right.

BK8N6C.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

John, I have a couple of photos of a brick wall myself. I was taking senior portraits of my granddaughter, and found a wonderful brick wall as a backdrop. I couldn’t resist. Look at the face of a man with goatee on the right.

BK8N6C.jpg

Yes, I see the old goat (looks a bit like me). He appears to be face-to-face with a rhino or some other large beast.

Here I see a map of some unknown land.

Red bricks showing through a plastered stucco wall of a building - Stock Image

On 01/07/2021 at 11:06, Betty LaRue said:

I haven’t looked at microstock in forever, so I’m not aware. When I very first started, I submitted there. After a couple of months, when I read about what microstock was doing to hard-working stock photographers, I quit submitting and joined Alamy. I think I have a handful of images there (a dozen, maybe?)  that I totally forgot about until I recently got an email.
While I’m not a earn-your-living stock photographer, I respect those who are, and never wanted to be one who hurt their means of earning income. That way of thinking was like my trying to stop a river with a sheet of plywood, but I didn’t have to feel bad about myself.
It seems things are beyond that, now, the damage is done, so it doesn’t matter. I guess. The old-timers have to scramble and do what they must, and I’m so sorry about the demise of what used to be….for them. 

I don't make my living at photography (anymore) either. Which means I take GREAT PLEASURE in turning down low-baller job offers. Those who ARE doing it for a living... I got your six. 🙂 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

What does this mean? This is a British forum.

Well, I guess that’s discriminatory. I didn’t realize you are possessive about the forum.  Last I knew, this forum hosts people from across the world. Your views aren’t everyone’s views. I realize my views aren’t your views. That’s what makes the world go ‘round.

Tolerance is the name of the game, isn’t it?

His phrase is a military phrase, where fighting men mean “I’m covering your back”. It usually means extreme loyalty.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Well, I guess that’s discriminatory. I didn’t realize you are possessive about the forum.  Last I knew, this forum hosts people from across the world. Your views aren’t everyone’s views. I realize my views aren’t your views. That’s what makes the world go ‘round.

Tolerance is the name of the game, isn’t it?

His phrase is a military phrase, where fighting men mean “I’m covering your back”. It usually means extreme loyalty.

Who's intolerant? I expressed no view, merely failed to understand the slang and, by way of explanation, suggested why I didn't understand it. Why would a British photographer understand American military slang? Don't get in a two and eight about it, me old china.

As for discrimination, you guess wrong. Try a dictionary.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 2

So just to explain the phrase a little further, apparently it started in World War 1 and fighter pilots used the clock face to explain where an enemy plane was in the sky, with their own plane at the center of the clock face.  So if something was out at there at 3 o'clock, it would be off to their right.  So if someone said, "I've got your six" it would mean that they are covering what's behind you.  It has now come to mean (at least here in the USA, that "I will support you"...or cover your backside.  I use it from time to time.

I should add that while this forum is based in the U.K. and many of the active members are within the U.K., I love the fact that it is very multinational, with people contributing from every continent, minus Antarctica.  I love learning local and cultural phrases and idioms from all of you!

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

So just to explain the phrase a little further, apparently it started in World War 1 and fighter pilots used the clock face to explain where an enemy plane was in the sky, with their own plane at the center of the clock face.  So if something was out at there at 3 o'clock, it would be off to their right.  So if someone said, "I've got your six" it would mean that they are covering what's behind you.  It has now come to mean (at least here in the USA, that "I will support you"...or cover your backside.  I use it from time to time.

Interesting, had never heard the expression.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Hey, guys, don't act like hosers. Chill out with a freezie and some Timbits. I mean, Jesus Murphy, life's too short for silly kerfuffles, eh? 🤠

Correct me if I am wrong John but I only recently learned that the Canadian term "hoser" came about during the gasoline (petrol) shortages in the 1970s and people were using hoses to syphon gas from other people's cars.  Locking gas caps came soon after.   So it was a bit of an insult to call someone a hoser.  Did I get that right?

13 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Correct me if I am wrong John but I only recently learned that the Canadian term "hoser" came about during the gasoline (petrol) shortages in the 1970s and people were using hoses to syphon gas from other people's cars.  Locking gas caps came soon after.   So it was a bit of an insult to call someone a hoser.  Did I get that right?

I actually don't know the origin of the term "hoser." These politically incorrect guys made it famous. I always figured that it had something to do with drinking too much beer. Yes, I guess it is somewhat insulting to call someone a hoser, but in a humorous kind of way. Self-deprecation is a national trait.

Edited by John Mitchell