Coupons for our images???

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

I actually don't know the origin of the term "hoser." These guys made it famous. I always figured that it had something to do with drinking too much beer. Yes, I guess it is somewhat insulting to call someone a hoser, but in a humorous kind of way. Self-deprecation is a national trait.

I remember those guys!  I just read on Wikipedia that there is no definite origin of hoser but it certainly did not come from the gas shortage, it was around way before.  So I am glad to have that corrected.  Yes, it says it could come from being a drunk as in "being hosed". 

55 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I remember those guys!  I just read on Wikipedia that there is no definite origin of hoser but it certainly did not come from the gas shortage, it was around way before.  So I am glad to have that corrected.  Yes, it says it could come from being a drunk as in "being hosed". 

Here's what Wikipedia says.

P.S. It's basically a 70's term. There is a whole generation (or two) that probably has never heard of it. Same goes for "Take off, eh?" and a lot of other Canadian clichés from those more innocent and less politically correct times. This is a totally different country now.

Hmmm... we seem to have run out of coupons. 😄

Edited by John Mitchell

The definition of Hoser I heard was related to old US Gas stations* where the fuel was manually syphoned and the chap running the hose was called a hoser. It became derogatory because the continual exposure to petrol fumes addled their wits.

*Petrol stations in the old tongue.

Had a few minutes fun checking the origin of mind your six. The google ngram viewer was not much help., but you know, google! I always remember "check 6" from Battle of Britain comics, it refered to watching the point directly behind where a baddy could creep up behind you and shoot you down. Are all the little boys on the forum making machine gun noises in their head??

Cheers.

🦔

On 01/07/2021 at 17:18, John Morrison said:

Fill up at my local petrol station and you can get a free gift: a nodding dog for the dashboard, a car freshener in the shape of a Christmas tree, or my entire portfolio of pictures... 😟

I remember magic tree fresheners being banned from Alamy?  Gosh the old contract was tough!

21 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

I remember magic tree fresheners being banned from Alamy?  Gosh the old contract was tough!

Not the contract, the manufacturers who are famously litigious.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160823/12030235318/little-tree-air-freshener-company-sues-non-profit-making-tree-shaped-ornaments.shtml