So long and thanks for the fish

2 hours ago, formerly snappyoncalifornia said:

My forum swan song. I'm leaving, I won't let the door hit me on the arse on the way out. Wishing you all the best on the photography trail

Peace out

Haha, beat me to it, I was going to use that phrase for my goodbye...

Looks like the dolphins had more sense than us!

• Love 3
  • Like 1

I am on my way out too, sometime around 23 July. It has been good knowing you all and I am pleased some of us have already found a way to stay in touch.

Best  of luck, to everyone whether you have decided to stay or go. We all have different priorities and needs.

Martin

Edited by Martin P Wilson
  • Love 4
  • Like 4

Wishing all of you the best of luck where ever you may go with your images from here. 

I see the Contract Changes thread is now closed and I suppose there will be little further chance to discuss or comment on the issues involved for photographers here. Grateful for the opportunity to still have a convo with a few of you elsewhere.

Alas, I've not decided on the long term regarding my Alamy portfolio, short term, I'm staying, most likely non exclusive (simply because it has taken so much work to get the portfolio up and running and I feel transferring the entire lot of nearly 30k elsewhere right now may not warrant great financial rewards either). Mid to long term...might go, too. It's not worth it and I'd rather not see the image go for pennies. Not that alamy will notice, I guess. 

• Love 4

So long, Pardners. I'm really dating myself here.

UPDATE: Just to clarify. I'll be continuing to hang around the Alamy corral. Just sayin' happy trails to those who are choosing to ride off into the sunset.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

I am assuming that when we give up our Alamy contributor account we will lose the ability to post here. However, the forums appear to be publically readable. When we leave we lose the ability to be part of the conversation on these forums. That will be a shame as I have enjoyed my conversations with many regulars here over the last 20 years..

Is my understanding correct?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Martin P Wilson said:

I am assuming that when we give up our Alamy contributor account we will lose the ability to post here. However, the forums appear to be publically readable. When we leave we lose the ability to be part of the conversation on these forums. That will be a shame as I have enjoyed my conversations with many regulars here over the last 20 years..

I'm fairly sure you're correct, Martin. However, I look forward to useful conversations round at your place when you are no longer here.

7 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

Joseph is correct, it is an open forum, though you can never predict wether AP/Alamy may change this. When I joined Alamy I was surprised to find the forum could potentially be read by customers.

I'm out also, and thanks to all on this forum for the information and insights.

It's probably assumed by the PA management that what with the thousands of contributors and millions of images, they can easily stand the loss of a few. That's no doubt true. However, there will be small instances of loss. Today I got a zoom on an image where five of the six results from a keyword search were mine. No doubt all of us have subjects like that where there really isn't a lot of competition. In the case mentioned, they were shot with my first serious camera, an East German Ikoflex twin-lens bought with lawn-mowing money when I was 11 years old. Absent a time machine, they aren't easily reproducible.

Cheers,

Don Douglas

• Love 1