Need a new iMac

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Great. Did the MA bring your Adobe apps across and you are now updating them or are you installing them from scratch? What about your Nik and Topaz plug-ins?  I am not sure if older versions will work on Big Sur. 

I haven’t investigated my other apps & plugins, yet. LR Classic download hung up forever. It installed at last, and I am actually working on some images! Sometimes...well...often, I get ahead of myself. I opened PS to see if it would work, then the next I knew, I was processing images!

I want to thank everyone who has followed this saga, and saga it is, who have had suggestions for my success. Especially you, Michael, who hung in there when I sometimes went off the rails. I really don’t know how you did it. I realize I made it out to be more than I should have. It’s simply that I have this great new iMac that cost me a bundle, and I wanted it to be the best it could be. I remember times I got myself into computer messes way back and didn’t know how to get out of them. That panic has colored my reactions ever since.

I’ll check out the other things at my leisure and report in if I need help.

Thanks for telling me

You Can Do It GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thanks for telling me

You Can Do It GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

I'm really happy you got it done Betty. I knew for sure you could do it but I wasn't sure if you were actually going to do it, especially when you were talking about loading the two Macs in the car and paying for it which I knew was really unnecessary. That is why I stuck with it as I couldn't just give up on you. I genuinely think you are a lot brighter than you give yourself credit for but you are not always looking straight on at things so you make problems a lot bigger than they really are. That is a totally natural human tendency and I know exactly what it is like myself. We build blocks with things we don't understand and run away whereas it is often easier to confront the problem by understanding it. I know it is not that simple as well as we all have different aptitudes. I love technical stuff in relation to cameras, computers and software but I can't draw for nuts and painting - well not for me. In fact that is why I love photography as it allows me artistic expression that would otherwise be really difficult or impossible for me.

In fact I am sure we would have got through it without the MA as well, as I originally suggested, as it is not difficult at all if you know what you are doing, which I do for the most part. I was certainly worried about what was going on last night. I was reading people saying it could take 50 hours or that it had crashed. I was really glad to see it had completed earlier, as I was envisaging getting you to quit the MA and do it manually. 

Anyway you are through the main part of it now. If new problems arise they are likely to be very minor. I am guessing some of your older software won't work so you might have to upgrade. I am happy to continue advising you as best I can in any case until you have it all set up.

Edited by MDM

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’d rather be doing this. I paint in a loose, non photographic style. 

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/summer-dancers-betty-larue.html

I wish I had taken up my art teachers suggestion that I go to art college when I left school but it was essential, at the time, that I learnt a trade and started earning straight away.

Then one thing just followed another and I ended up with an engineering career.

I think some of that artistic skill still exists and helps with my photography.

Allan

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I wish I had taken up my art teachers suggestion that I go to art college when I left school but it was essential, at the time, that I learnt a trade and started earning straight away.

Then one thing just followed another and I ended up with an engineering career.

I think some of that artistic skill still exists and helps with my photography.

Allan

It’s never too late, Allan. I painted for a long time before I took two watercolor classes. My first painting was an oil copied from an art book, just to learn color mixing and strokes. The second was an original oil of a barn on the route I drove to my mother’s house, painted from a photograph I took. After that, and because I personally don’t care for the pasty, thick look of oils, I went to transparent watercolor, Although some colors are opaque. Watercolor is infinitely more difficult than oils, which you can paint over your mistakes. If I make a mistake with watercolor, I scrap it.  I bought books that taught me a lot about color mixing.

The hardest part is affording the brushes, paper and paint. I accumulated a little at a time, made easier when people began seeking to buy my work. Nowadays, I have a couple of online art supply businesses I order from.

What is it “they” say?

Just Do It.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s never too late, Allan. I painted for a long time before I took two watercolor classes. My first painting was an oil copied from an art book, just to learn color mixing and strokes. The second was an original oil of a barn on the route I drove to my mother’s house, painted from a photograph I took. After that, and because I personally don’t care for the pasty, thick look of oils, I went to transparent watercolor, Although some colors are opaque. Watercolor is infinitely more difficult than oils, which you can paint over your mistakes. If I make a mistake with watercolor, I scrap it.  I bought books that taught me a lot about color mixing.

The hardest part is affording the brushes, paper and paint. I accumulated a little at a time, made easier when people began seeking to buy my work. Nowadays, I have a couple of online art supply businesses I order from.

What is it “they” say?

Just Do It.

Hmm! Something to think about. I always worked with watercolor at school and prefer the medium. It can have an etherial look to it.

Allan

My ex never, ever painted before, but started taking classes (oils & acrylics) once he retired. He’s worked hard at it and has gotten quite good. I think he finds it therapeutic, too. You should give it a try, Allan, if you find it gives you joy.

• Love 1

On 12/05/2021 at 15:59, MDM said:

Yes and I think there will be a lot of uncertainty for the foreseeable future. If she had been getting a new M1 machine then these Caldigit docks are the business I think.

Incidentally I tried to email you a few nights ago as we had been in email contact a few years ago but I used the form on your website which goes to a me.com email. I'm just wondering if you got it as I found the original email after sending and it was a mac.com address. The email itself is not important by the way. It was just about correcting a mistake I had made that you had quoted. 

Got it, thanks, @me.com and @mac.com go to the same place as @icloud.com - my overcrowded email box - all the same email in Apple's wisdom. Thought I wrote back?

20 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Got it, thanks, @me.com and @mac.com go to the same place as @icloud.com - my overcrowded email box - all the same email in Apple's wisdom. Thought I wrote back?

You did email me back Marianne. I wrote that post before you wrote back 😀.  

Edited by MDM

54 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I can't help but wonder -- after yesterday's announcement from Alamy -- how many of us have changed our plans regarding new computers, new cameras, new lenses, and other new stuff?

I often carry a backpack containing 3 bodies, each with lenses attached, or a shoulder bag with 2 bodies with lenses attached. Additionally either an Apple MBP or lighter MBA. I was costing an additional light weight kit, single mirrorless body and 2 F4 lenses to save my back or shoulder. That’s on the back burner for a while. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I can't help but wonder -- after yesterday's announcement from Alamy -- how many of us have changed our plans regarding new computers, new cameras, new lenses, and other new stuff?

It won't have the slightest effect on me in relation to gear as I wasn't exclusive in the first place. Even if I was exclusive, the loss of 20% of very little is even less than very little (the polite way of saying it). I have been ticking over on Alamy for a long time without making much real effort to be honest and very uninspired by the frequently minuscule fees. Like Betty has mentioned elsewhere, I think I will start back with FAA as I get occasional sales there and might do better if I made an effort. I am not planning on any new gear right now in any case.

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Considering I paid for a new Fuji X-T4 just a couple of months ago, and sent off the payment for my computer this morning, as usual, my timing stinks.

Nah. I’d have done it anyway. I do think a few are holding off, now.

My Google Nik doesn’t work. (Again). I went over all this last fall after an OS update that caused it to not work. Funny thing is that I can access Color effex, open it, choose a filter. When I hit apply, it fails and crashes PS. I’m thinking of trialing the DXO version, but no way do I want to pay $150-159 for it. I think the last year Black Friday sale was half price. But I had gotten my Google one to work again, so ignored the sale.

I think Big Sur didn’t play nice with it for awhile, but it’s said, for whatever that’s worth, it’s ok now for Adobe CC but maybe not Affinity.

The trial will at least tell me if it works on Big Sur or not.

I just ordered a new Sony A7riv - 61MP - overkill for stock as is my 42MP Sony A7rii. I'm working on a new business model that requires very large files. Glad I future proofed my computer with 32GB RAM. I was working on a 9 foot by 13 foot project yesterday for a potential commission that could lead to a lot more work. Even with a powerful machine, multiple layers take time to render at that size. I'll use the kit for FAA too - it's been my best earner in terms of online sales the past year by far. Skewing my work (commission & POD) toward fine art at the moment.

In terms of showing my work, I've had calls for very large pieces (the work mentioned above would be paid for before printing, so time is the capital expended with that one). So far, I've turned down those that required me to do massive printing on spec, and am working with venues requiring less massive work. 

Moving toward fine art is certainly an investment, but since I've started making an effort in this direction, it's looking positive. POD is the easiest since the costs are time and equipment - as are some commissions where I won't have to do the printing myself but will transfer huge files to a consultant or designer for a large fee. Galleries, on the other hand, involve more costly printing, but I love the live venues and the ability to discuss my work. 

The Sony will be my third (and now primary) camera. I love my Olympus but I need a backup camera that can create very large files, and since the A7rii heats up quickly, the A7riv, which has better battery life and runs cooler, with all the beautiful file advantages of the rii, and which will take all my lenses, seemed like the right choice. With a macro lens, the Sonys are nearly as heaving as my old Nikons, but I can switch off to light lenses for relief. I've been experimenting with macro more and it's hard but I love the challenge and have found an outlet for the work, most important. Also licensed some of it as stock this year. 

I've had better sales here this year than in the past two, but 2019 and 2020 were my worst years in a long time here. I'm moving away from stock, but when it's safe to travel i'm sure I'll be back. Bummer about the new contract but not unexpected - and 40 % is better than most stock agencies. The 20% commissions however, are a big disappointment. 

14 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

My Google Nik doesn’t work. (Again). I went over all this last fall after an OS update that caused it to not work. Funny thing is that I can access Color effex, open it, choose a filter. When I hit apply, it fails and crashes PS. I’m thinking of trialing the DXO version, but no way do I want to pay $150-159 for it. I think the last year Black Friday sale was half price. But I had gotten my Google one to work again, so ignored the sale.

I think Big Sur didn’t play nice with it for awhile, but it’s said, for whatever that’s worth, it’s ok now for Adobe CC but maybe not Affinity.

Yesterday when I was opening files directly from Finder so they'd open in ACR to use the new super size "enhance," for the first time, I noticed that my Mac gave me the option to "Open in Color Effex" and the rest of the Google Nik filters. (I haven't been able to access them from PS in a few years, but can right click and use them from LR). See if you can access them from Finder. I didn't try it - had enough on my plate testing enormous file sizes for a project - but it might be a solution for you. I know I'll have to buy the filters eventually but I paid for them before google made them free so I keep holding off as the new versions don't seem to add much. 

Edited by Marianne

37 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

The trial is for the new version so should work but will not tell you if the older one works. There are some YouTube videos which explain how to get it installed which require using commands in Terminal (very old school). 

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

My Nik package was from DXO.  The sales for DXO products come up several times a year so trial it and then wait.   Once DXO has your email and permission to inform you of special offers, you'll hear about the sales.  The latest DXO Nik works for me on Big Sur. 

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

My Nik package was from DXO.  The sales for DXO products come up several times a year so trial it and then wait.   Once DXO has your email and permission to inform you of special offers, you'll hear about the sales.  The latest DXO Nik works for me on Big Sur. 

You probably have Version 3. Earlier versions need a little tweak in the Terminal command line as they don't recognise the new macOS as being later than MacOs 10.7. It is a very simple one line command and the installer works. I have just installed them as standalone apps, not Photoshop plugins. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

The trial is for the new version so should work but will not tell you if the older one works. There are some YouTube videos which explain how to get it installed which require using commands in Terminal (very old school). 

😁 I found and read that thread, also, Michael. Then I got brain freeze and my hands trembled. I notice (ahem) you didn’t suggest I try that. My trembling hands thank you.

MizBrown helped me last fall get it going after the OS update. I’ll try Marianne’s suggestion and see if it’ll work through LR. Really don’t know how to do that or where to look for it. I’ve always done my filters with the image opened in Bridge.

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

Yesterday when I was opening files directly from Finder so they'd open in ACR to use the new super size "enhance," for the first time, I noticed that my Mac gave me the option to "Open in Color Effex" and the rest of the Google Nik filters. (I haven't been able to access them from PS in a few years, but can right click and use them from LR). See if you can access them from Finder. I didn't try it - had enough on my plate testing enormous file sizes for a project - but it might be a solution for you. I know I'll have to buy the filters eventually but I paid for them before google made them free so I keep holding off as the new versions don't seem to add much. 

Thanks, I’ll try that if I can figure out how. I actually did find Nik through Finder, but I opened it through the filter option in PS/Bridge.

13 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

😁 I found and read that thread, also, Michael. Then I got brain freeze and my hands trembled. I notice (ahem) you didn’t suggest I try that. My trembling hands thank you.

MizBrown helped me last fall get it going after the OS update. I’ll try Marianne’s suggestion and see if it’ll work through LR. Really don’t know how to do that or where to look for it. I’ve always done my filters with the image opened in Bridge.

You must already have the Nik Collection on your machine because of using Migration Assistant so you don't need to go through that process. I didn't have them installed so I just did it and it was actually really easy. Just copying that command line into Terminal and hitting return. It might look scary but it's not really. I got the Nik Collection V2 on a Black Friday deal a couple of years ago it of curiosity as people were always walking about it.  I have not really used them very much although they are very good. 

Have you got Topaz working?