Need a new iMac

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

OWC memory is what I ordered. 2x16 OWC memory sticks. It was the highest recommended of all the brands. Even so, doesn’t mean one couldn’t be bad. The first time it didn’t boot, I had not read about waiting 30 seconds for them to initialize. I immediately began problem searching, saw that, and did wait over 30 seconds the other times. So that’s not it.

Check with OWC as suggested earlier.  If they are what OWC recommends, send them back to B&H and get new ones. 

Michael gave you the right chip specifications.  I'd go with sending them back to B&H. 

Edited by MizBrown

1 minute ago, MizBrown said:

Check with OWC as suggested earlier.  If they are what OWC recommends, send them back to B&H and get new ones. 

I’m going to go through the routine one more time. Only with the 2x16s. 2-4, then 1-3.  I’ll try holding my mouth just right this time. I wonder if sticking out my tongue would help?  If it doesn’t work, I’ll contact OWC tomorrow. I don’t give up easily.

The only thing further I can think of is pressing the chips in firmly enough.   I'm having vague memories of having to re-check setting of the new chips in one machine or another. 

I also found this for your machine, though not for mine: 

"I've ordered a new iMac 2020 27" (3.1GHz CPU version) and I went to order some 2x16G RAM from OWC.

However, they tell me I need to remove the base 2x4Gig Apple memory for the new OWC memory to work.
They said they have encountered issues where the Apple memory is not compatible with the new memory.

This sux. The mix and match should be compatible.
Anyone experienced this?
Why would this happen?
Anyone know which brand of memory will work with the existing apple memory so I don't lose 8 gigs?"

"Just toss the 8GB or eBay it. It's not worth the impact to your system in any way. you got 32GB. Don't be greedy."

Let us know if your two 16 Gig chips work when they're not trying to share a machine with Apple chips. 

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

I also found this for your machine, though not for mine: 

"I've ordered a new iMac 2020 27" (3.1GHz CPU version) and I went to order some 2x16G RAM from OWC.

However, they tell me I need to remove the base 2x4Gig Apple memory for the new OWC memory to work.
They said they have encountered issues where the Apple memory is not compatible with the new memory.

This sux. The mix and match should be compatible.
Anyone experienced this?
Why would this happen?
Anyone know which brand of memory will work with the existing apple memory so I don't lose 8 gigs?"

"Just toss the 8GB or eBay it. It's not worth the impact to your system in any way. you got 32GB. Don't be greedy."

Let us know if your two 16 Gig chips work when they're not trying to share a machine with Apple chips. 

My wife's 2019 machine has 2x4 Apple and 2x16 OWC. Maybe something has changed but I would think they should be advertising any incompatibility. In any case, Betty is not able to get the OWC memory working on its own either so the problem has to be with that. As I said above, she should check that she got the right memory in the first place (I posted the specs of the what she needs) in case they sent her the wrong type. If that is ok and she is installing it correctly, which I assume she is as she is putting the Apple RAM in and out, then there has to be something wrong with the memory. If so she should send it back for replacement. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

Hi Betty,

How long did you wait for the machine to boot? I maybe wrong with this, but if you change the memory chips in your Mac the system will detect that they have changed it and will perform a memory test before carrying on with the normal boot. Because you've added quite a lot of memory, that may take longer than you expect. I know when I upgraded my MacBook Pro memory, the first time it booted afterwards it took much longer for anything to appear on screen at all (over a minute?). Like you, I thought I'd done it wrong and was about to turn it off, but then it sprang into life and then booted quickly every time afterwards.

Alternatively see this thread of answers on iFixit

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/414732/iMac+won't+boot+after+RAM+upgrade

I note one of posts states that Apple's support page says this.

Note: Your iMac performs a memory initialization procedure when you first turn it on after upgrading memory or rearranging DIMMs. This process can take 30 seconds or more, and the display of your iMac remains dark until it’s finished. Make sure to let the memory initialization complete.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

I had already read about the 2x4s not being compatible with the 2x16s, at least on the later Macs. And yes, Mark, I allowed ample booting time. The last attempt I walked away for 5 minutes, maybe 10. Left the room for awhile...just in case.

I called OWC today and sat on hold for 45 minutes listening to jazz, which is my least favorite music. Ok, if you want to call it music, RAP is at the top of my hate list. So I was grinding my teeth by the time we spoke. But I was nice.

The guy was very affable. He got my email address and sent me an email. He told me to answer it and attach

pictures of a copy of my receipt for the memory and computer, and a picture of the sticks and packaging. Asked what OS was running.
I snapped a shot of my order page showing him the specs of the iMac, which also showed the order for the RAM. He wants to insure I ordered what was compatible with my Mac. So now I wait for an answer. If how long I was on hold is any indication, it might be 45 days before I hear back. I told him OWC was my first inquiry before contacting B&H.

This has been a very trying time. Nothing has gone right, from the order being delayed, being given someone else’s tracking number, and you are aware of my many other troubles including getting Nik collection running! 😁 It takes a village, sometimes. Not one single thing has been smooth and trouble free. It all started with my older Mac crashing from feather dust inside.

Now that I have whined and whined and whined, I’ll stop. I feel better. Thanks. I got a load off my mind.

On 23/05/2021 at 16:07, M.Chapman said:

Hi Betty,

How long did you wait for the machine to boot? I maybe wrong with this, but if you change the memory chips in your Mac the system will detect that they have changed it and will perform a memory test before carrying on with the normal boot. Because you've added quite a lot of memory, that may take longer than you expect. I know when I upgraded my MacBook Pro memory, the first time it booted afterwards it took much longer for anything to appear on screen at all (over a minute?). Like you, I thought I'd done it wrong and was about to turn it off, but then it sprang into life and then booted quickly every time afterwards.

Alternatively see this thread of answers on iFixit

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/414732/iMac+won't+boot+after+RAM+upgrade

I note one of posts states that Apple's support page says this.

Note: Your iMac performs a memory initialization procedure when you first turn it on after upgrading memory or rearranging DIMMs. This process can take 30 seconds or more, and the display of your iMac remains dark until it’s finished. Make sure to let the memory initialization complete.

Mark

That was an interesting thread, Mark. I guess I missed that one. I read a lot of others. Now I’m wondering if I need to cart the Mac across the hall one more time to try the nearly closed door push on the Ram sticks. Not sure if I have another back and forth carry in me.

24 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I had already read about the 2x4s not being compatible with the 2x16s, at least on the later Macs. And yes, Mark, I allowed ample booting time. The last attempt I walked away for 5 minutes, maybe 10. Left the room for awhile...just in case.

I called OWC today and sat on hold for 45 minutes listening to jazz, which is my least favorite music. Ok, if you want to call it music, RAP is at the top of my hate list. So I was grinding my teeth by the time we spoke. But I was nice.

The guy was very affable. He got my email address and sent me an email. He told me to answer it and attach

pictures of a copy of my receipt for the memory and computer, and a picture of the sticks and packaging. Asked what OS was running.
I snapped a shot of my order page showing him the specs of the iMac, which also showed the order for the RAM. He wants to insure I ordered what was compatible with my Mac. So now I wait for an answer. If how long I was on hold is any indication, it might be 45 days before I hear back. I told him OWC was my first inquiry before contacting B&H.

This has been a very trying time. Nothing has gone right, from the order being delayed, being given someone else’s tracking number, and you are aware of my many other troubles including getting Nik collection running! 😁 It takes a village, sometimes. Not one single thing has been smooth and trouble free. It all started with my older Mac crashing from feather dust inside.

Now that I have whined and whined and whined, I’ll stop. I feel better. Thanks. I got a load off my mind.

I can't ever recall a significant delay after installing memory so when you do it again you don't need to go for a walk after you install new memory. A minute or two at most. You don't really need to carry the Mac anywhere either to put it on a bed - just lie it down on the soft bag that it came in unless you are not strong enough to support it as you tilt it over, maybe a sheet or something underneath. You are closing the little door after installing the new memory aren't you? I don't know of it would make a difference but probably best to close it.

You have had a hard time with this purchase for sure but at least the Mac itself is working and you will get this memory issue resolved. A hassle yes but not fatal. As I said OWC have a lifetime warranty and they are definitely reputable. I reckon either one or both of the new sticks is bad or they sent you incompatible memory. Did you check on the packaging and/or the memory against the specs I posted on Sunday?  2666MHz DDR4 PC4-21300

Edited by MDM

Also look on the positive side with Nik. You got it free and you got it working. Such old software (2012) might not work on new Macs because of the 64-bit requirement. Think of it as a bonus. 

I don’t have room on my desk to turn the computer over there. The old Mac is side by side with it, for now, and behind is all 4 of my HDs along with other peripherals. Not enough space left there for the monitor to lie flat. Just remembered, it’s not a round trip with the computer. It’s one for the 2x16s, then if it doesn’t work, another to put the 2x4s back in. 😟 That’s hefting it 4 times.

This is what I ordered. Is it right? 
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1466445-REG/32GB_DDR4_2666_MHz_SO-DIMM_Memory

Tomorrow morning I’ll be leaving to go to Oklahoma to see my sisters, and go to a bean & cornbread dinner at the town pavilion with homemade pie for desert. A moneymaking thing for my home town. Of course, that will probably be when OWC tries to contact me. I often don’t hear my phone when in a crowd and it’s buried in my handbag. I’ll be gone until evening. I have to re-pierce my oldest sister’s ears, too. She let the holes grow over. Ugh. 

42 minutes ago, MDM said:

Also look on the positive side with Nik. You got it free and you got it working. Such old software (2012) might not work on new Macs because of the 64-bit requirement. Think of it as a bonus. 

And yes, I’m thrilled to get it working. Even if doing so was a pain in the butt. Worth it, though. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I don’t have room on my desk to turn the computer over there. The old Mac is side by side with it, for now, and behind is all 4 of my HDs along with other peripherals. Not enough space left there for the monitor to lie flat. Just remembered, it’s not a round trip with the computer. It’s one for the 2x16s, then if it doesn’t work, another to put the 2x4s back in. 😟 That’s hefting it 4 times.

This is what I ordered. Is it right? 
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1466445-REG/32GB_DDR4_2666_MHz_SO-DIMM_Memory

Tomorrow morning I’ll be leaving to go to Oklahoma to see my sisters, and go to a bean & cornbread dinner at the town pavilion with homemade pie for desert. A moneymaking thing for my home town. Of course, that will probably be when OWC tries to contact me. I often don’t hear my phone when in a crowd and it’s buried in my handbag. I’ll be gone until evening. I have to re-pierce my oldest sister’s ears, too. She let the holes grow over. Ugh. 

It looks like the correct memory according to B&H website so I am guessing one or both sticks are bad. You could probably just call B&H and get it replaced. They should not even question it because all they do is send it back to OWC.  

6 minutes ago, MDM said:

It looks like the correct memory according to B&H website so I am guessing one or both sticks are bad. You could probably just call B&H and get it replaced. They should not even question it because all they do is send it back to OWC.  

Thanks. I’ll look into it Wednesday.

pssst. Good night.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

Hi Betty, I hope you get it sorted.  You may remember a short while ago I did a similar upgrade with OWC, I've just checked the info given to me by the company which was...... You have 4 sockets in the machine, currently 2 x 4GB chips.  I would add 2 x 16GB this will give you 40GB in total.  They also gave me a direct link to use.  Also I had all the info from MDM and other members.  When we came to do it, I was convinced the cards should have gone in one way, my OH the other way.  He was right, I would have probably put them in upside down🙃.  I read the apple info also and thought it would take ages to boot up but it wasn't too bad but I always go into airhead mode when the screen goes dark!  Since then it has been fine, though it may take another few seconds to boot in the morning but it's still pretty quick.  I know your iMac is brand new so maybe makes a difference but again I hope you get it sorted.  

Carol

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I wish I could go to your shindig. I love that sort of thing. In Lakeside, CA the Moose put on a barbecue to support the rodeo. Yes, California is that western. I've been wearing my "training" hoops in my ears to keep the holes open. Wearing my usual dangling earrings has been too much of a hassle with masks. Getting the strings caught in earrings! We are still wearing the masks indoors so I'm just waiting to get back to regular earrings again.

Paulette

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hi Betty, I hope you get it sorted.  You may remember a short while ago I did a similar upgrade with OWC, I've just checked the info given to me by the company which was...... You have 4 sockets in the machine, currently 2 x 4GB chips.  I would add 2 x 16GB this will give you 40GB in total.  They also gave me a direct link to use.  Also I had all the info from MDM and other members.  When we came to do it, I was convinced the cards should have gone in one way, my OH the other way.  He was right, I would have probably put them in upside down🙃.  I read the apple info also and thought it would take ages to boot up but it wasn't too bad but I always go into airhead mode when the screen goes dark!  Since then it has been fine, though it may take another few seconds to boot in the morning but it's still pretty quick.  I know your iMac is brand new so maybe makes a difference but again I hope you get it sorted.  

Carol

Do you really mean upside down or back to front (rotated 180°). Upside down would be impossible (unless you mean you are standing on your head which might be possible but very very difficult). However back to front is possible. I did it once years ago with a PC and destroyed the memory (fortunately not the computer). I was in a hurry when i did it and it is not an easy thing to do as there is a notch on the stick, either side of which the lengths are asymmetric. I must have really forced it. I had got it in a local computer shop and the guy exchanged it for me with a look of bemused disdain when I explained what had happened. 

6 minutes ago, MDM said:

Do you really mean upside down or back to front (rotated 180°). Upside down would be impossible (unless you mean you are standing on your head which might be possible but very very difficult). However back to front is possible. I did it once years ago with a PC and destroyed the memory (fortunately not the computer). I was in a hurry when i did it and it is not an easy thing to do as there is a notch on the stick, either side of which the lengths are asymmetric. I must have really forced it. I had got it in a local computer shop and the guy exchanged it for me with a look of bemused disdain when I explained what had happened. 

Ha ha yes you are probably right, it would have been back to front😁. However all's well that ends well in this case anyway.  Will keep our fingers crossed for Betty now..

Carol

3 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Ha ha yes you are probably right, it would have been back to front😁. However all's well that ends well in this case anyway.  Will keep our fingers crossed for Betty now..

Carol

Yes.  She has ordered the right one so either they sent her the wrong one (unlikely I guess) or she got a bad stick or two. There is no way of telling if it is just one or two sticks as you can't just insert one and pairs have to have the same capacity. My wife's machine was crashing randomly for a while and when we took out the OWC memory it was fine again. I contacted MacUpgrades and they just said send it back and we will change it which they did within a day. That is one of the reasons I recommended them to you. 

Yes, I saw the notches! 🤗 You wouldn’t think it would be so hard, but those little notches are easy to overlook. Funny thing, I don’t think the videos I watched ever mentioned the notches. A little flashlight illuminated things.

Paulette, wish you were here to go with me. I’m drinking the last of my coffee and will be getting ready to go, now. It's overcast with a 50% chance of rain.  With my recent luck, I’ll probably get caught in a storm. Kansas had tornadoes yesterday, north and west of me. If I do, I’ll pray there will be no hail to destroy my car.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, MDM said:

Yes.  She has ordered the right one so either they sent her the wrong one (unlikely I guess) or she got a bad stick or two. There is no way of telling if it is just one or two sticks as you can't just insert one and pairs have to have the same capacity. My wife's machine was crashing randomly for a while and when we took out the OWC memory it was fine again. I contacted MacUpgrades and they just said send it back and we will change it which they did within a day. That is one of the reasons I recommended them to you. 

Yes I am very pleased you did and MacUpgrades were brilliant.  Your wife sounds like she was unlucky but at least lucky to have you to sort it.😄

Carol

7 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Yes I am very pleased you did and MacUpgrades were brilliant.  Your wife sounds like she was unlucky but at least lucky to have you to sort it.😄

Carol

Thanks Carol. Just give me your bank details and I will make the payment. 🤣

The bean & cornbread dinner was wonderful. I’ve been to my home town many times, pretty much once a week or more, and  but it was mainly to my mom or sisters’ houses. This was the first time I’ve been to a public gathering. People were coming up to me, “Betty! My gosh, it’s been a long time!”

One of my old classmates came up and got my phone number.

Weird thing, I was very shy when I was in school. Pretty much kept my head down and drifted through the halls.  Except for a best friend, I didn’t socialize much. I was always getting asked to do things, go places, but I had no money to go to football games,(went to one) dances (again, one) and such. Sometimes I was voted in for something I didn’t run for and had to decline because dues had to be paid, or uniforms bought. Now these people were coming up to me and carrying on like they were seeing their long lost best friend back from the dead! 😁

I did study hard and make good grades, though. Oh, I forgot the pantomime song act (Diamond’s are a Girl’s Best Friend) where I was Marilyn Monroe and my best friend was Jane Russell. I’m surprised I had any teeth left, I shook so hard with stage fright.

Nothing from OWC yet. Tomorrow I’ll call B&H.

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

The bean & cornbread dinner was wonderful. I’ve been to my home town many times, pretty much once a week or more, and  but it was mainly to my mom or sisters’ houses. This was the first time I’ve been to a public gathering. People were coming up to me, “Betty! My gosh, it’s been a long time!”

One of my old classmates came up and got my phone number.

Weird thing, I was very shy when I was in school. Pretty much kept my head down and drifted through the halls.  Except for a best friend, I didn’t socialize much. I was always getting asked to do things, go places, but I had no money to go to football games,(went to one) dances (again, one) and such. Sometimes I was voted in for something I didn’t run for and had to decline because dues had to be paid, or uniforms bought. Now these people were coming up to me and carrying on like they were seeing their long lost best friend back from the dead! 😁

I did study hard and make good grades, though. Oh, I forgot the pantomime song act (Diamond’s are a Girl’s Best Friend) where I was Marilyn Monroe and my best friend was Jane Russell. I’m surprised I had any teeth left, I shook so hard with stage fright.

Nothing from OWC yet. Tomorrow I’ll call B&H.

People like you for what YOU are and not for what you DO.

Allan

• Like 1