Need a new iMac

38 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, Topaz worked straight away.

Where do I find the command line, and where do I find Terminal?

Great. Terminal is an app in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. I got the info from two YouTube videos. I need to get to bed (it's after 2) so if you can't figure it I will help you tomorrow. It is really simple so you will definitely be able to do it you follow the instructions. However, the videos were a bit painful to watch as one guy is really slow and the other guy keeps cracking silly jokes but they do provide the info. 

I’ll be out of pocket tomorrow for an endoscopy with anesthesia. Hopefully I’ll be home by noon, but not sure if my brain will be working too well for awhile. I’ll let you know if I run into problems or have questions when I do it.

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ll be out of pocket tomorrow for an endoscopy with anesthesia. Hopefully I’ll be home by noon, but not sure if my brain will be working too well for awhile. I’ll let you know if I run into problems or have questions when I do it.

No hurry Betty. I will talk you through it whenever you are up for it.

Following the above directions came to a grinding halt before it began. Why? Because I have no Adobe 2020. Before I used Migration assistant, I went through everything I could, deleting unnecessary items. I remember going through the download folder and deleting multiple things. I’m pretty sure Adobe 2020 was one. My reasoning was I had Adobe 2021, 2020 was superfluous.

Although, that’s not the problem. Going through the steps above and looking for Adobe 2020 on my hard drive so I could copy Nik, 2020, it just isn’t there. And even if it were possible to redownload 2020 from Adobe, it would be a fresh download and Nik wouldn’t be in it.

I believe getting it going is a wasted endeavor unless there is another way besides finding it in Adobe 2020. My Internet searches gave me no love.

I’ll probably have to trial the paid version and wait for a sale.

13 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Following the above directions came to a grinding halt before it began. Why? Because I have no Adobe 2020. Before I used Migration assistant, I went through everything I could, deleting unnecessary items. I remember going through the download folder and deleting multiple things. I’m pretty sure Adobe 2020 was one. My reasoning was I had Adobe 2021, 2020 was superfluous.

Although, that’s not the problem. Going through the steps above and looking for Adobe 2020 on my hard drive so I could copy Nik, 2020, it just isn’t there. And even if it were possible to redownload 2020 from Adobe, it would be a fresh download and Nik wouldn’t be in it.

I believe getting it going is a wasted endeavor unless there is another way besides finding it in Adobe 2020. My Internet searches gave me no love.

I’ll probably have to trial the paid version and wait for a sale.

The Nik Collection is not in your Adobe folder. It should be in its own folder in the Applications folder. However, I don't know how you would install as plugins rather than standalone.

Alternative. You can download the free version from DxO. This is the one with which there is a problem installing but I can guide you through it from the info in the videos above. Again I don't know if they will install as plugins but we can give it a go if you want. I prefer to keep then as stand alone apps. 

First step: Download the free version from DxO: https://nikcollection.dxo.com/nik-collection-2012/

Edited by MDM

Should I delete all I have now that doesn’t work, so I can tell the difference between them?

I’ve always accessed Nik in PS, under “filters”.

I’m looking. Nik is under APPLICATIONS>Adobe Photoshop 2021>Plug-ins>Nik Collection

Another copy

APPLICATIONS>Nik Collection

Edited by Betty LaRue

Accessing them under filters doesn't mean they are part of Photoshop. If you still have them on the other computer then there is no real need to keep them but perhaps make a folder on your desktop called OldNik or something if you want and drag them into there from the Nik Collection folder in your Applications folder. To be honest if this doesn't work you might be best to get the new V3 but I think it probably will work.

Have you downloaded the installer? 

I’m shut out. Trying to download free version from DXO. I put in my email, and it asks for a numerical phrase like 5+2=

I've been through a dozen of these copying exactly. Won’t take them saying phrase does not match. Retry.

I’m done for the night. Thanks Michael. Company is coming.

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m shut out. Trying to download free version from DXO. I put in my email, and it asks for a numerical phrase like 5+2=

I've been through a dozen of these copying exactly. Won’t take them saying phrase does not match. Retry.

I’m done for the night. Thanks Michael. Company is coming.

OK. Can try again some other time  if you want. 

Edited by MDM

13 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I think DXO is deliberately blocking the download. Drove me crazy. I even tried both of my emails.

Strange as it worked for the guys in the video although I don't know when they downloaded it. Maybe they are trying to get people to buy it. I have a later paid version but not the most current version which I got on a Black Friday deal. It wouldn't install on Big Sur until I did that thing with Terminal. You have the option probably of just running them manually as standalone programs or otherwise paying for the new version.

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I've been through a dozen of these copying exactly

Hi Betty, don't copy the phrase, enter the answer instead. e.g. if it says "5+2 =" then type 7 in the box. It just worked for me.

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you're written.

Mark

On 21/05/2021 at 02:01, M.Chapman said:

Hi Betty, don't copy the phrase, enter the answer instead. e.g. if it says "5+2 =" then type 7 in the box. It just worked for me.

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you're written.

Mark

Well, DUH, Mark. I drank that stupid juice again. 😂 

Elementary, my dear Watson!  Thank you.
Every time I ever had to do one of these, I had to copy it exactly. Then they have to go throw maths at me. I shall go turn on the computer, and take my shoes off in case I need to count toes along with my fingers.

OK. Thankyouthankyou, Mark.

I downloaded the Nik Collection by doing the math as Mark suggested! :D Still giggling over that one.

Ignore the top video on how to do it.  He says to right click on the HD icon on the desktop to open a Terminal Folder.  I did that over and over, typing in the line he said to type in. It didn't work, can't remember the message now.

So I watched (again) the crazy guy in the second video.  He said to right click on the Nik collection icon on my desktop to open a Terminal folder.  So I did. I typed in the line in this one, and wonder of all wonders, it worked.  I installed it in Photoshop where I've always had it under "Filters".  I tried it out, and it works...saves...doesn't crash PS.

Michael, thanks for the video links, and Mark, thanks for fixing stupid.

Betty

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

OK. Thankyouthankyou, Mark.

I downloaded the Nik Collection by doing the math as Mark suggested! :D Still giggling over that one.

Ignore the top video on how to do it.  He says to right click on the HD icon on the desktop to open a Terminal Folder.  I did that over and over, typing in the line he said to type in. It didn't work, can't remember the message now.

So I watched (again) the crazy guy in the second video.  He said to right click on the Nik collection icon on my desktop to open a Terminal folder.  So I did. I typed in the line in this one, and wonder of all wonders, it worked.  I installed it in Photoshop where I've always had it under "Filters".  I tried it out, and it works...saves...doesn't crash PS.

Michael, thanks for the video links, and Mark, thanks for fixing stupid.

Betty

Well that should give you even more confidence Betty - yes you can (do it). You have successfully used the Terminal command line app on a Mac which means you are now a Stage I Mac Power User. 

By the way, I did the same thing opening Terminal without doing it from the desktop with a right click and only got it right after watching the second guy. I was ready to tell you that but it is great that you did it on your own. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MDM said:

Well that should give you even more confidence Betty - yes you can (do it). You have successfully used the Terminal command line app on a Mac which means you are now a Stage I Mac Power User. 

By the way, I did the same thing opening Terminal without doing it from the desktop with a right click and only got it right after watching the second guy. I was ready to tell you that but it is great that you did it on your own. 

The terminal line was pretty confusing for me. What I saw already there didn’t match either video, because what I saw was secular to me. I was watching the video on my iPad and trying to do it on my computer. Neither video allowed full screen, and I couldn’t read what was there in the terminal box.  Print too tiny for my eyes, anyway.

I did quite a bit of this and that, nothing working. For one thing, the first guy put the line to use across the screen large and in caps! Wrong! Once I went to goofball, I saw what was in caps and what wasn’t. Finally ran the videos on my iMac where I could see better on the large screen and took notes. I will admit it was scary for me, for fear I’d screw up the works.

Again, thanks for being patient and helpful. You spread oil on troubled waters.

I tried to install my 2x16 RAM sticks yesterday. I carried the Mac across the hall from my office to my bed. I took out the 2x4 apple sticks and put the 2x16 OWC sticks in the same slots, which were 2 and 4. Put everything back together , carried it back to my office. It wouldn’t boot. Tried slots 1-3.  I carried the computer back and forth numerous times, trying different things. Like leaving the 2x4s in with different configurations, Apple 1-2, OWC 3-4, then Apple 1-3, OWC 2-4.  When I took the OWCs out and put the 2x4s back in slots 2-4, it booted. I studied help sections on the Internet, and apparently other people who had more knowledge than I, had the same issues.

I called my son-in-law over, and he basically did everything I did. Maybe tried another configuration or two, but nothing worked. He put the Apple sticks back in at my bequest and we left it at that.

There were some suggestions in a forum how the users resolved the problem and finally got it to work, but they mentioned doing some computer guts stuff I didn’t understand because it was over my head. This was a discussion between guys whose computer knowledge was at a higher level than mine.

At this point, I don’t know what to do. Take it to the shop I used before and pay a fee or what. I’ve gotten a couple of pop ups telling me RAM is low, close out programs, when I had nothing open but reading problem-solving forums.

Edited by Betty LaRue

One thing to do would be try one stick of the OEM with the Apple stick and see if you have one bad stick.   If you've tried that, okay.   If you have one bad memory stick, send it back to B&H.  Other thing to do would be try them in your older iMac if it takes the same kind of memory (don't if not). 

Other thing is that with new memory, it might take some time before booting (30 seconds).   Resetting the PRAM is also fairly simple.   Look up which keys to hold down.  https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-2020-ram-install-wont-boot.2251504/   for more information if you haven't already been there.

If you can,  set this up where you don't have to lug the iMac back and forth.  You don't need internet connection for the testing.  Use a beach towel or blanket to protect the monitor, and make sure to go slow.  Machine has to test the memory before booting up.

I've had a bad memory chip in my first Mac (old pre-Intel model bought used). 

Edited by MizBrown
More info

14 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

One thing to do would be try one stick of the OEM with the Apple stick and see if you have one bad stick.   If you've tried that, okay.   If you have one bad memory stick, send it back to B&H.  Other thing to do would be try them in your older iMac if it takes the same kind of memory (don't if not). 

Other thing is that with new memory, it might take some time before booting (30 seconds).   Resetting the PRAM is also fairly simple.   Look up which keys to hold down.  https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-2020-ram-install-wont-boot.2251504/   for more information if you haven't already been there.

If you can,  set this up where you don't have to lug the iMac back and forth.  You don't need internet connection for the testing.  Use a beach towel or blanket to protect the monitor, and make sure to go slow.  Machine has to test the memory before booting up.

I've had a bad memory chip in my first Mac (old pre-Intel model bought used). 

You are not supposed to mix unmatched pairs like 4-16 alone. I am not sure if it would be harmful but I wouldn't do it.

I wonder if it is actually the correct memory for the machine. You might want to check on the OWC website or get in touch with them rather than B&H. OWC have a lifetime guarantee anyway. My wife's iMac had an OWC stick fail, I just sent back both sticks and they were replaced without question because of that warranty.

That’s one configuration we didn’t try. One of each. I can do that on my own.

Resetting the PRAM I did read about and that’s what I alluded to in my post. Seems over my head and scary. I’ve always thought “fools rush in where angels fear to tread”. Not that I’m an angel by any means, but I do try not to be a fool. I’ll revisit that posting and see if I can absorb it better.

You realize, if I read something about the medical field, art, and a few other subjects, I’m all over it without coming up for air. When I see something about the inner workings of computers, my brain recoils. I think that’s why it’s hard for me to logically figure it out.

You have no idea how getting into the Terminal thing scared me. I got by with it without my Mac jumping off the desk screaming, “get away from me!” That doesn’t mean doing something similar again isn’t scary.

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

You are not supposed to mix unmatched pairs like 4-16 alone. I am not sure if it would be harmful but I wouldn't do it.

I wonder if it is actually the correct memory for the machine. You might want to check on the OWC website or get in touch with them rather than B&H. OWC have a lifetime guarantee anyway. My wife's iMac had an OWC stick fail, I just sent back both sticks and they were replaced without question because of that warranty.

Okay, but then I'd try the sticks one more time in the recommended pairings and wait for 30 seconds after pushing the power button (don't hold it seems to be the advice).  If nothing then, go with returning them to B&H and getting OWC memory for your machine (that's what I've used in the past).

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

The terminal line was pretty confusing for me. What I saw already there didn’t match either video, because what I saw was secular to me. I was watching the video on my iPad and trying to do it on my computer. Neither video allowed full screen, and I couldn’t read what was there in the terminal box.  Print too tiny for my eyes, anyway.

I did quite a bit of this and that, nothing working. For one thing, the first guy put the line to use across the screen large and in caps! Wrong! Once I went to goofball, I saw what was in caps and what wasn’t. Finally ran the videos on my iMac where I could see better on the large screen and took notes. I will admit it was scary for me, for fear I’d screw up the works.

Again, thanks for being patient and helpful. You spread oil on troubled waters.

OK, for future reference on YouTube, there is often information under the video. In this case, right underneath the second guy video, he has posted a text version of the line. I just copied and pasted that into Terminal, hit return and that was it. The installation then worked when I tried it. 

I hope you sort out the memory problem. See my post above.

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

Thank you, Michael. Before choosing that memory, I did a search for “BEST RAM UPGRADE FOR IMAC 2020” and that’s what came up. Several links recommended those. But I will do further inquiries. 

2 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Okay, but then I'd try the sticks one more time in the recommended pairings and wait for 30 seconds after pushing the power button (don't hold it seems to be the advice).  If nothing then, go with returning them to B&H and getting OWC memory for your machine (that's what I've used in the past).

OWC memory is what I ordered. 2x16 OWC memory sticks. It was the highest recommended of all the brands. Even so, doesn’t mean one couldn’t be bad. The first time it didn’t boot, I had not read about waiting 30 seconds for them to initialize. I immediately began problem searching, saw that, and did wait over 30 seconds the other times. So that’s not it.

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you, Michael. Before choosing that memory, I did a search for “BEST RAM UPGRADE FOR IMAC 2020” and that’s what came up. Several links recommended those. But I will do further inquiries. 

The OWC memory should be 2666MHz DDR4 PC4-21300 for your iMac according to their website. If you check the packet or the sticks themselves then it should say that. You can go directly onto their website. Again don't worry it may be that one or both of the sticks is bad and they do have a lifetime warranty so you won't lose.