Need a new iMac

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I think even dunderhead here suggested MA and was knock down.

Allan

I think that is a slightly twisted version of what happened Allan. If you go back to Page 10 you will see that you said "I don't know if it was mentioned earlier but I wonder if Betty has thought of using Apples Migration Assistant on her machines."  when that had been a main subject of discussion earlier in the thread as I pointed out in the next comment. I wasn't knocking you intentionally but the comment did seem a bit out of place given the previous discussion.

Anyway I changed my mind about the MA in the light of ongoing discussion, as it became clear that what I was suggesting would probably be too complex for Betty. The freedom to change course and to simply admit when one is wrong is something I value in myself and others. In this case there are grey areas but in hindsight I would have definitely advocated the MA from the beginning. 

Finally, if I correct or argue against something you or somebody has said, there is no intention of being nasty. It is purely academic argument to me. So to be clear I am not knocking you when I correct or contradict you. 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I think that is a slightly twisted version of what happened Allan. If you go back to Page 10 you will see that you said "I don't know if it was mentioned earlier but I wonder if Betty has thought of using Apples Migration Assistant on her machines."  when that had been a main subject of discussion earlier in the thread as I pointed out in the next comment. I wasn't knocking you intentionally but the comment did seem a bit out of place given the previous discussion.

Anyway I changed my mind about the MA in the light of ongoing discussion, as it became clear that what I was suggesting would probably be too complex for Betty. The freedom to change course and to simply admit when one is wrong is something I value in myself and others. In this case there are grey areas but in hindsight I would have definitely advocated the MA from the beginning. 

Finally, if I correct or argue against something you or somebody has said, there is no intention of being nasty. It is purely academic argument to me. So to be clear I am not knocking you when I correct or contradict you. 

You are quite right Mick and I am sorry it was put that way. I am not really saying that you were knocking me back.

I understand fully what you are saying and I do know you are not being nasty. In fact I have never known you to be nasty.

The trouble with posting comments which some think may be contentious is they cannot see your eyes and see the interest in the subject being discussed and the little twinkle around the edges.

Allan

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

You are quite right Mick and I am sorry it was put that way. I am not really saying that you were knocking me back.

I understand fully what you are saying and I do know you are not being nasty. In fact I have never known you to be nasty.

The trouble with posting comments which some think may be contentious is they cannot see your eyes and see the interest in the subject being discussed and the little twinkle around the edges.

Allan

No worries Allan 😀.  It is very easy to be misunderstood online as you say. I do enjoy a good rational argument/debate/discussion - it's one of the main ways I learn. Anyway let's move on. Take care.

@Betty LaRue

(I've been corrected below so ignore - apparently iMacs have very different ports than Macbooks)

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I haven't seen any discussion of the various adapters you'll need. The only ports the new Macs have are Thunderbolt 3, so you'll need various adapters or, alternatively, a hub with the various connections. So, while you are waiting for your SIL to com by, make sure you have the cords & adapters you need. Don't fret, it's pretty simple.

What I believe you will need, if you haven't ordered already:

1.  A T3 to T3 cord (if it doesn't come with your iMac or if you haven't bought a new T3 backup drive) T=Thunderbolt

2.  A T1/2 to T3 adapter

3.  A usb to T3 adapter

4.  A card reader (if you don't already have one)

Why you need these:

1 & 2. To migrate one computer to the other, you will need a T3 to T3 cord as well as thunderbolt 1/2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter, a setup you'll also need to connect any older thunderbolt backup HDs to the new computer. To use Migration Assistant, you use this setup to connect the two computers together (the adapter on one end of the cord into the old computer and the T3 end into the new computer). Migration Assistant won't replace the the newer software/OS but just what is needed. If you are cleaning up the old computer, you'll have a nice install with everything you need. I assume you have some T2 desktop backup drives so you need the cord and adapter. If you've purchased a new T3 backup drive, it will come with a T3 to T3 cord. 

3. You will need at least one USB to T3 adapter for any old USB drives, card readers, or thumb drives.

4. If you don't have one, I believe you will also need a card reader unless you want to connect your camera to the computer (with a USB to T3 adapter). I believe iMacs no longer have an SD card reader - but double check this. Macbooks haven't had one for a while. If you already have an older USB card reader, you can connect it with the USB to T3 connector. It is just as fast this way since the speed of the card reader is based on the card speed and not the connection. I have 2 very old card readers and with fast SD cards, they are super fast. I keep one USB to T3 adapter permanently attached to it. 

If this is confusing, call Apple support and discuss it with them. I'm also happy to chat with you on the phone if it helps. 

Enjoy your new iMac!

Edited by Marianne

Sorry to be a PITA know-it-all but a lot of that is wrong as Betty's new machine is a a 27' 2020 iMac so has the USB-A ports, an SD card reader and so on. You are talking about the new 24" iMacs. 

Also for clarity, you don't need to connect the Macs physically. It can be done by wifi or she can do a Time Machine backup to a USB-A (normal USB 3 drive in other words) and use the MA from that.

Just deleted Marianne's quoted post in case she wants to modify it. It us very useful info for anyone moving to an M1 Mac, just not relevant to Betty right now.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MDM said:

Sorry to be a PIA know-it-all but a lot of that is wrong as Betty's new machine is a a 27' 2020 iMac so has the USB-A ports, an SD card reader and so on. You are talking about the new 24" iMacs. 

Also for clarity, you don't need to connect the Macs physically. It can be done by wifi or she can do a Time Machine backup to a USB-A (normal USB 3 drive in other words) and use the MA from that.

That's why I qualified what I said, as I was basing my advice on my 2019 Macbook which only has T3 ports, but glad @Betty LaRue doesn't need all that other stuff. It was a pricey PITA. I just pictured her SIL setting up the machine and Betty unable to connect it to the old one or to a backup drive. I opted for a souped up Macbook instead of a new iMac last year because I expected to be traveling a lot - oh well, back in January, who knew what 2020 would be like!

42 minutes ago, Marianne said:

That's why I qualified what I said, as I was basing my advice on my 2019 Macbook which only has T3 ports, but glad @Betty LaRue doesn't need all that other stuff. It was a pricey PITA. I just pictured her SIL setting up the machine and Betty unable to connect it to the old one or to a backup drive. I opted for a souped up Macbook instead of a new iMac last year because I expected to be traveling a lot - oh well, back in January, who knew what 2020 would be like!

Yes and I think there will be a lot of uncertainty for the foreseeable future. If she had been getting a new M1 machine then these Caldigit docks are the business I think.

Incidentally I tried to email you a few nights ago as we had been in email contact a few years ago but I used the form on your website which goes to a me.com email. I'm just wondering if you got it as I found the original email after sending and it was a mac.com address. The email itself is not important by the way. It was just about correcting a mistake I had made that you had quoted. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

+1

Mark

I think I’ll do it with WiFi. I realize it’s slower, but when you consider the time it would take to do a Time Machine backup, it’s probably a wash. But...what do I know, anyway.
I think I might go ahead and unbox. I can slide the box across the floor, down the hall and into my office. Whether I’ll try to lift it up is still the question.

B&H is badgering me to do a review. 😂 Why should that matter? Beats me, but somehow it does.

I did do a review on the ease of order/and to straighten up the delivery mess, and it was a negative review. Considering one associate told me it was sent to the wrong address, then the other, different day, said no, I was simply sent the wrong tracking number. 
I’m not impressed with FedEx, either. He rang the doorbell and I was at the door instantly, just in time to see him run like a gazelle  to his truck. I wanted to ask if he’d put it inside the door, but instead, I had to spend 5 minutes wrestling it in. And there it sits, just inside the door.

All that aside, I’m thrilled to have it, and one of these days I’ll be pecking away adding keywords on it. I need to invent a household mini forklift. That might make me a fortune. There are a lot of bad backs out there. But where would I store it??? Invent an accessory chair seat for the backside and let it be a part of the living room furniture. :D

Edited by Betty LaRue

You should be live-streaming this Betty. The unboxing of Betty LaRue's iMac. We need some dramatic music for starters. The end is nigh 😀.  The suspense is killing me. Just don't damage yourself. The iMac itself weighs about 9kg (20lb). 

WiFi has the advantage that you can read the iMac and the Big Sur books on your iPad while the two computers are talking to each other.  One thing to do is set up the two machines at night and let the things work while you're asleep.   I think you'll get an estimate of the time this will take.   Also, you can take the iMac out of the box and put it on the stand (see if you have anyone who can help with this).   I'd use a big towel on the desk for anything that needs to be done with the monitor facing down.  Install and get the thing up and running first, then after Migration Assistant, check the machine over and install more memory, then check to make sure that's working okay. 

I've skimmed over both books I mentioned and I think you'd find them useful.  The free one has links to expansions of concepts.   My iPad went to the web pages transparently and I could return to the ebook when I was finished reading the web pages.   Also, if you have a new iPad that can use a Apple Pencil, you can use the iPad as a second monitor.  Not really all that useful for people who have 27 inch 5K displays, but might be useful for someone with a smaller lap top (my iPad seventh generation has a 10.2 inch screen; some of the iPad Pros have even bigger screens).

Follow the prompts and have your old machine set up ready to be the source via wifi when you get to the prompt for Migration Assistant.

I would get a Time Machine external drive and use Carbon Copy Cloner for both a bootable backup (this may be fixed for Intel Macs though it requires setting up being able to boot from external drives (a whole different talking you through) and for copying photo drives.   Leave the Time Machine drive attached to the computer.   Its main function is rescuing files if you didn't mean to delete them.    If you get a new machine in the future, you can use Time Machine to do Migration Assistant.

If you have room, keep the inner box and possibly the outer box, and the thin foam cover for the iMac screen and body.  One way to move the machine in the future is to put it in a large roller bag with the screen and body padded.  Another way is to use the inner box and screen slipover cover.   This works for short moves on car seats (how I moved my iMac a couple of block from my second house to this house).   I'm not planning to fly anywhere with my iMac (got a laptop if I leave Nicaragua), but if you ever have to do that, having both the outer and inner boxes would work.  Not sure how much more packaging B&H added, or if their iMacs are packaged the same as mine was in 2016 at a Mac Store.

3 hours ago, MDM said:

You should be live-streaming this Betty. The unboxing of Betty LaRue's iMac. We need some dramatic music for starters. The end is nigh 😀.  The suspense is killing me. Just don't damage yourself. The iMac itself weighs about 9kg (20lb). 

You are a riot! 😆

Actually, I got sidetracked. I went to the grocery, filled my car with fuel, did a couple of more errands. Then got busy burning drainage holes in the bottom of a huge heavy plastic pot. I had a little smoke coming out of my ears while conceiving that plan. Then I put dirt in it and planted the tomato.

There is always tomorrow. There may be a tad of avoidance going on.

20 lbs? I swear, my old one felt like 50. Maybe it’s all of those snippets of bloat that weighs so much. 😉

49 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

WiFi has the advantage that you can read the iMac and the Big Sur books on your iPad while the two computers are talking to each other.  One thing to do is set up the two machines at night and let the things work while you're asleep.   I think you'll get an estimate of the time this will take.   Also, you can take the iMac out of the box and put it on the stand (see if you have anyone who can help with this).   I'd use a big towel on the desk for anything that needs to be done with the monitor facing down.  Install and get the thing up and running first, then after Migration Assistant, check the machine over and install more memory, then check to make sure that's working okay. 

I've skimmed over both books I mentioned and I think you'd find them useful.  The free one has links to expansions of concepts.   My iPad went to the web pages transparently and I could return to the ebook when I was finished reading the web pages.   Also, if you have a new iPad that can use a Apple Pencil, you can use the iPad as a second monitor.  Not really all that useful for people who have 27 inch 5K displays, but might be useful for someone with a smaller lap top (my iPad seventh generation has a 10.2 inch screen; some of the iPad Pros have even bigger screens).

Follow the prompts and have your old machine set up ready to be the source via wifi when you get to the prompt for Migration Assistant.

I would get a Time Machine external drive and use Carbon Copy Cloner for both a bootable backup (this may be fixed for Intel Macs though it requires setting up being able to boot from external drives (a whole different talking you through) and for copying photo drives.   Leave the Time Machine drive attached to the computer.   Its main function is rescuing files if you didn't mean to delete them.    If you get a new machine in the future, you can use Time Machine to do Migration Assistant.

If you have room, keep the inner box and possibly the outer box, and the thin foam cover for the iMac screen and body.  One way to move the machine in the future is to put it in a large roller bag with the screen and body padded.  Another way is to use the inner box and screen slipover cover.   This works for short moves on car seats (how I moved my iMac a couple of block from my second house to this house).   I'm not planning to fly anywhere with my iMac (got a laptop if I leave Nicaragua), but if you ever have to do that, having both the outer and inner boxes would work.  Not sure how much more packaging B&H added, or if their iMacs are packaged the same as mine was in 2016 at a Mac Store.

I still have the box my 2012 Mac came in. That’s how I moved it to be cleaned. No way was I throwing it away when we moved. I have a very nice storage room in my basement. Metal shelves (need more) and an old, sturdy wooden work table. Other boxes are just stacked on a dry concrete floor. I do want more shelving, though.

That work table I bought at an antique store was perfect for my two daughters and I to sit at when we priced a gazillion things for my garage sale last October. And all the mess was confined down there.

I'm not worried about migrating, other than hoping I have the necessary passwords at hand. My luck l’ll not think of one and have to scramble once the process begins.

11 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You are a riot! 😆

Actually, I got sidetracked. I went to the grocery, filled my car with fuel, did a couple of more errands. Then got busy burning drainage holes in the bottom of a huge heavy plastic pot. I had a little smoke coming out of my ears while conceiving that plan. Then I put dirt in it and planted the tomato.

20 lbs? I swear, my old one felt like 50. Maybe it’s all of those snippets of bloat that weighs so much. 😉

Aww. What a disappointment. I stayed up until 2.30 in case you needed help (ok not really- my daily pattern has gone crazy since lockdown). I do find I get stuff done late at night though. Time to put this iPad to sleep now. Goodnight.

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

Aww. What a disappointment. I stayed up until 2.30 in case you needed help (ok not really- my daily pattern has gone crazy since lockdown). I do find I get stuff done late at night though. Time to put this iPad to sleep now. Goodnight.

My iPad says goodnight to your iPad.

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You are a riot! 😆

Hope you had your divers suit on when you got back into the car.🤢

Allan

I lifted the computer onto my desk. 😫

There is no power cord. Is this normal? Do I have to go buy one? To use Migration assistant, both computers need a power cord. I thought one came with my old iMac.

Never mind. I found it in the most unlikely place. Tucked in an underneath hollow of a piece of rigid foam.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Fantastic Betty. I’m around all evening (day to you) if you need any help. I have never used Migration Assistant myself but it should be very straightforward. Just make sure you have your WiFi and Apple ID passwords ( you can get these from the old computer anyway). 

47 minutes ago, MDM said:

Fantastic Betty. I’m around all evening (day to you) if you need any help. I have never used Migration Assistant myself but it should be very straightforward. Just make sure you have your WiFi and Apple ID passwords ( you can get these from the old computer anyway). 

How do I find Apple ID & password? I have 2 written down (I changed it at some point a couple of times). I just ordered a song hoping there was a place to input Apple ID to see if it was the working one, but there was only a option for Touch ID which worked without my seeing it.

When I got my passwords from where you told me, would that be the working one of the two?

Also, should I unplug my desktop HDs since I’m doing Mac to Mac? I’ve deleted the CCC backup but it’s still in the trash folder. It won’t copy trash, will it?

I need to hook up the power cord

Edited by Betty LaRue

4 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

How do I find Apple ID & password? I have 2 written down (I changed it at some point a couple of times). I just ordered a song hoping there was a place to input Apple ID to see if it was the working one, but there was only a option for Touch ID which worked without my seeing it.

When I got my passwords from where you told me, would that be the working one of the two?

It should be the most recent one in Safari prefs as before. You can also get it from your iPad. I will explain if you need that.