Need a new iMac

FedEx here will often claim a "delivery exception" when they have obviously NOT attempted delivery. It usually does show up the next day but I had one that was delivered elsewhere and the store took care of the problem. i am not fond of FedEx ..though I have sometimes had nice delivery guys. Many problems with them.

Paulette

16 hours ago, MDM said:

OK here is a really good tip in case you get locked out of your computer again. It applies to Betty or any other Mac users as well. 

Open System Preferences - Users and Groups. Click the lock and type in your login password. On the right hand side is a box saying Allow user to reset password using Apple ID. Make sure that box is ticked as well as the Allow user to administer this computer which it should be if you are the only user. If you ever get locked out, after 3 or 4 failed attempts, then you should be offered the chance to reset the password using your Apple ID. Needless to say, you will need to know your Apple iD password or be able to get it from another device (computer, iPhone, iPad). This may already be set by default but it really is worth knowing and may have saved Ed a lot of trouble when he was locked out.

Interestingly that option is missing for me. Seems I'm not the only one https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6839912, (I recall you mentioned that you had to set it up when creating the user account as well). I do have an AppleID associated with my MacOS account and I'm signed in. But I know that when I first setup my Mac I declined this option, and I think I also did the same when enabling File Vault disk encryption. So maybe I'm now locked out of re-enabling this option? Nevermind, I won't forget my passwords 🙂

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Interestingly that option is missing for me. Seems I'm not the only one https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6839912, (I recall you mentioned that you had to set it up when creating the user account as well). I do have an AppleID associated with my MacOS account and I'm signed in. But I know that when I first setup my Mac I declined this option, and I think I also did the same when enabling File Vault disk encryption. So maybe I'm now locked out of re-enabling this option? Nevermind, I won't forget my passwords 🙂

Mark

That link is to an old thread - ancient in the Apple Universe. I can't remember but I think I declined it as well but maybe opted in after a system update (or not). I wonder if it is now the default. Next time I install macOS (note the new spelling for system 11 - lower case m) I will see what happens. I like to have an OS on an external SSD for emergencies. 

9 hours ago, MDM said:

That link is to an old thread

Indeed, but it's potentially relevant. When I declined to enable using my Apple ID to unlock it was when I setup my first Mac with Yosemite. Since then, my upgrades to El Capitan>Sierra>High Sierra>Mojave have all been done by in place upgrades, and even swapping to a newer Macs has been done with migration assistant. All done without any problems. On the one hand it's a testament to how well MacOS handles updates. But on the other hand there will be debris on my system that could do with clearing out by a "bare metal" install. But, the complexity of my installation (almost 100 apps, 5 email accounts, several virtual machines, 450GB of data and a complex "family" iCloud synch setup) means that it wouldn't be a quick task, so it gets put off...

Anyway, back to the unlocking using AppleID, it seems possible that something in my user account profile has carried forward from those Yosemite days when I declined to enable the AppleID unlocking feature, and it's now stuck there. Or it's to do with the system disk encryption being enabled too.

I've got a clean install of Mojave on my iMac's internal SSD (same as you, I keep it for emergency/recovery purposes) maybe I'll boot that up and see what options I have there.

Mark

28 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Indeed, but it's potentially relevant. When I declined to enable using my Apple ID to unlock it was when I setup my first Mac with Yosemite. Since then, my upgrades to El Capitan>Sierra>High Sierra>Mojave have all been done by in place upgrades, and even swapping to a newer Macs has been done with migration assistant. All done without any problems. On the one hand it's a testament to how well MacOS handles updates. But on the other hand there will be debris on my system that could do with clearing out by a "bare metal" install. But, the complexity of my installation (almost 100 apps, 5 email accounts, several virtual machines, 450GB of data and a complex "family" iCloud synch setup) means that it wouldn't be a quick task, so it gets put off...

Anyway, back to the unlocking using AppleID, it seems possible that something in my user account profile has carried forward from those Yosemite days when I declined to enable the AppleID unlocking feature, and it's now stuck there. Or it's to do with the system disk encryption being enabled too.

I've got a clean install of Mojave on my iMac's internal SSD (same as you, I keep it for emergency/recovery purposes) maybe I'll boot that up and see what options I have there.

Mark

OK. I have left all that behind. I am fully 64 bit on Big Sur now. I had an El Capitan partition to run just FileMaker Pro but I gave up on that. I just use spreadsheets now as I don’t need a database really. I use 9 or 10 apps max. A simple life for me. A system reinstall from scratch is not a big deal for me but your installation is several orders of magnitude more complex. 

35 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Betty, any further word on either your medical issues or on what B&H reported on the missing shipment (they will be closed from sundown today NYC time to sundown on Saturday).

I was just thinking of writing the same thing! Hope you are okay Betty and that you were able to sort of the FedEx Delivery.

The tests went fine, no need for morphine. The tech said only 10% of patients  need it, so that was comforting. The test was with contrast injected and lying on my back for 2 hours while pictures were being taken. Not a CT scan, but a HIDA scan. To see if ducts...liver, pancreas, gall bladder are open. If one had been blocked, that would have caused the pain/need for morphine.

One hour in, I had to drink Ensure, the one with the most fat, to track it through my gall bladder.

I won’t have results until next week.

This test didn’t address what was seen at the connection of my stomach /small intestine on the CT scan, which could be as simple as a duodenal ulcer or just an irritated place. If that’s the case, I’m blaming it on the computer problem! 😜 I’ll get scoped mid-may for that.
All of this because of pain to my upper right side under my ribs and the investigation of it. It’s no big deal. I was told 17 years ago by my radiologist who radiated me for my breast cancer, that if I lived long enough, (vague statement, what’s long enough?) that it was likely I’d get another cancer somewhere from radiation exposure. I put that to the back of my mind, but simply told myself to never ignore new symptoms. I mentioned the mild-ish pain to my doctor and he ran with it.  Chances are good that I’m fine. Just checking a few bits and pieces.

I did not get the promised email from B&H in 24 hours. I called them at 2 pm this afternoon, and got a recorded message saying they closed at 2pm eastern time. My 2pm central time was their 4pm eastern time, so I missed the boat by 2 hours on that. Who knew, I didn’t. They really have screwy hours and work days. I know the business celebrates Sabbath on Saturday, maybe they shut down early on Fridays in relation to that. I’m not Jewish, so I don’t know.

I’ll just have to try not to obsess about it until Sunday. I think they’re open on Sunday? W-h-a-t-e-v-e-r. 😊 I’ll survive. Tomorrow I’ll work on taxes.

I shopped for potting soil, a huge pot, and tomato plants today, among plant additives. My son called and talked for two hours this morning and another hour or more this afternoon the second I got back from shopping.  He’s on the road and bored while driving. I’m his stay-awake caffeine replacement. We solve the problems of the family and world during these conversations. I failed to mention the delivery snafu or he would have gone through the roof of his car. Not good.

The Jewish Sabbath is from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday (Sabado in Spanish).  They're open Sunday.  (Had Jewish friends in NYC and NC).   They may close early on Friday to give a complete two day weekend.  

12 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

The tests went fine, no need for morphine. The tech said only 10% of patients  need it, so that was comforting. The test was with contrast injected and lying on my back for 2 hours while pictures were being taken. Not a CT scan, but a HIDA scan. To see if ducts...liver, pancreas, gall bladder are open. If one had been blocked, that would have caused the pain/need for morphine.

One hour in, I had to drink Ensure, the one with the most fat, to track it through my gall bladder.

I won’t have results until next week.

This test didn’t address what was seen at the connection of my stomach /small intestine on the CT scan, which could be as simple as a duodenal ulcer or just an irritated place. If that’s the case, I’m blaming it on the computer problem! 😜 I’ll get scoped mid-may for that.
All of this because of pain to my upper right side under my ribs and the investigation of it. It’s no big deal. I was told 17 years ago by my radiologist who radiated me for my breast cancer, that if I lived long enough, (vague statement, what’s long enough?) that it was likely I’d get another cancer somewhere from radiation exposure. I put that to the back of my mind, but simply told myself to never ignore new symptoms. I mentioned the mild-ish pain to my doctor and he ran with it.  Chances are good that I’m fine. Just checking a few bits and pieces.

I did not get the promised email from B&H in 24 hours. I called them at 2 pm this afternoon, and got a recorded message saying they closed at 2pm eastern time. My 2pm central time was their 4pm eastern time, so I missed the boat by 2 hours on that. Who knew, I didn’t. They really have screwy hours and work days. I know the business celebrates Sabbath on Saturday, maybe they shut down early on Fridays in relation to that. I’m not Jewish, so I don’t know.

I’ll just have to try not to obsess about it until Sunday. I think they’re open on Sunday? W-h-a-t-e-v-e-r. 😊 I’ll survive. Tomorrow I’ll work on taxes.

I shopped for potting soil, a huge pot, and tomato plants today, among plant additives. My son called and talked for two hours this morning and another hour or more this afternoon the second I got back from shopping.  He’s on the road and bored while driving. I’m his stay-awake caffeine replacement. We solve the problems of the family and world during these conversations. I failed to mention the delivery snafu or he would have gone through the roof of his car. Not good.

Well I suppose that mostly good news.  Sorry about missing the B&H window.  Yes, the Sabbath starts at sundown on Fridays (but usually observe from 2pm on) and goes thru Saturday.  Not Jewish myself but grew up with many Jewish friends.  These were not deeply religious Jews but I learned enough to pick up on some of the traditions.  B&H will be open on Sunday like a regular workday.

In the Fall you have to check the B&H site for holiday schedules because it seems like one holiday after another and some of them are many days. I was always the expert in my book group on Jewish holidays because I kept track of B&H hours.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

The 2pm closing time on Fridays is to allow everyone to get home before sundown... Lots of things not allowed... https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/95907/jewish/The-Shabbat-Laws.htm  Interesting article about the Shabbos elevators in many buildings in the Jewish neighborhoods.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat_elevator  After I had lived in New York City for a few years I felt like I was more Jewish than my Jewish friends in California. I'm always interested in the traditions in different cultures. I had a friend who worked in the garment business and his boss's sister was marrying a religious Jew so my friend was invited to the wedding. He asked me to come with him because it would be fun and a good time for us to catch up. He had totally forgotten that the men and women would be separated. I enjoyed it all ...though the wives of my friend's co-workers were not such religious Jews and were having a hard time about the whole thing--telling me all the time that "It's not usually like this.". Fortunately, I knew I was going to have to wear a dress and I did happen to choose one with long sleeves. Bare arms would have been a problem. Even though I could not bear to be as restricted in my life I don't feel personally insulted by those limitations on women. There was a lot of dancing at the wedding ... men and women separate. I "peeked" on the other side of the curtain to watch the men. Some pretty wild moves. Lots of fun.

Paulette

• Love 2

I just spoke with B&H. This lady said it wasn’t delivered to the wrong address. The other lady on Thursday said it was. This lady said it was a wrong tracking #. ?? If that is true, I was tracking someone else’s delivery. Ye Gads!

She said it is due to be delivered tomorrow. I wonder if I need to occupy my front porch from 8am to 10pm. Sorry for the sarcasm, but I’m just about worn slick over this.

I told the lady how much stress this had caused me and she said sorry, she gets stressed out easily, too. So I got sympathy, if nothing else! 😂

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I just spoke with B&H. This lady said it wasn’t delivered to the wrong address. The other lady on Thursday said it was. This lady said it was a wrong tracking #. ?? If that is true, I was tracking someone else’s delivery. Ye Gads!

She said it is due to be delivered tomorrow. I wonder if I need to occupy my front porch from 8am to 10pm. Sorry for the sarcasm, but I’m just about worn slick over this.

I told the lady how much stress this had caused me and she said sorry, she gets stressed out easily, too. So I got sympathy, if nothing else! 😂

I think I've had one with that problem, but it was not particularly memorable compared to the Godox AD200 flash made in China that went to every other continent on the planet except South America, Australia, and Antarctica (and got bounced around in Europe between two airports as it had lithium batteries and had to fly cargo only for the flight across the Atlantic to Miami just ahead of a hurricane).   If I could afford it, I'd take the flash to the three continents it missed, just because.  Some things are so stressful and messed up that they end up becoming funny.

But yeah, you might want to sit on your porch all day :). 

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

I think I've had one with that problem, but it was not particularly memorable compared to the Godox AD200 flash made in China that went to every other continent on the planet except South America, Australia, and Antarctica (and got bounced around in Europe between two airports as it had lithium batteries and had to fly cargo only for the flight across the Atlantic to Miami just ahead of a hurricane).   If I could afford it, I'd take the flash to the three continents it missed, just because.  Some things are so stressful and messed up that they end up becoming funny.

But yeah, you might want to sit on your porch all day :). 

A year from now, I might think it’s funny. But I doubt it! 😊

I think the worst thing about this is that they didn't get back to you and effectively left you for a couple of days in the dark. I would be pretty angry if that happened to me with such an expensive item. A mistake in the tracking number is perhaps understandable but leaving you in the dark for so long on such an expensive item is not acceptable when you were told you would hear within 24 hours.

Edited by MDM

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

So sorry this has happened to you.  Stressful for sure!  B&H has always been great so I am saddened to hear this.  I hope it arrives in good order tomorrow!

13 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

So sorry this has happened to you.  Stressful for sure!  B&H has always been great so I am saddened to hear this.  I hope it arrives in good order tomorrow!

My computer was delivered at 9:15 this morning. The FedEx guy actually rang the doorbell which is getting to be a rare thing anymore. I was at the door almost immediately, hoping to ask him to put it just inside the door since it is heavy. He practically was running and stepping into the truck by the time I opened the door, so I spent a few minutes wrestling it over the door sill.

It’s here, that's all that counts. I won’t be unboxing it because I have to get my taxes done first. Then I’ll need to get my son-in-law over to bring it into my office and lift it up on the desk for me.

The 2X16 RAM isn’t here yet. I’m wondering if the chip shortage is affecting that. I would prefer it to be here at the unboxing, so my son-in-law can flip the iMac onto my bed for me, help with adding the RAM, then lifting it onto the desk.

I’ll get it figured out, but may be a few days.

As far as B&H goes, I’ve ordered from them off and on for 17 years. This is the first snafu, so I’ll give them a pass. It’s a shame it had to be with the most expensive item I’ve ever ordered from them.

• Love 1

So glad you received it. Very surprised that the guy didn't have to wait and have you sign for it. Here the different drivers are kind of in business for themselves and some are better than others. I had a great regular UPS guy for a long time. He was very helpful and I was helpful to him by buzzing him in so he could leave a package for a neighbor. We've had trouble here off and on with packages stolen from our hallway and some delivery people won't leave packages by our mailboxes. It means they have to climb stairs to leave them by our doors.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat

30 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

He practically was running and stepping into the truck by the time I opened the door,

When I was a very young boy in the north of the country we had a game called "Knocky Nine Doors" were we knock on someones door and run and hide.

They call it "Parcel Force" these days.

Allan

34 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

My computer was delivered at 9:15 this morning. The FedEx guy actually rang the doorbell which is getting to be a rare thing anymore. I was at the door almost immediately, hoping to ask him to put it just inside the door since it is heavy. He practically was running and stepping into the truck by the time I opened the door, so I spent a few minutes wrestling it over the door sill.

It’s here, that's all that counts. I won’t be unboxing it because I have to get my taxes done first. Then I’ll need to get my son-in-law over to bring it into my office and lift it up on the desk for me.

The 2X16 RAM isn’t here yet. I’m wondering if the chip shortage is affecting that. I would prefer it to be here at the unboxing, so my son-in-law can flip the iMac onto my bed for me, help with adding the RAM, then lifting it onto the desk.

I’ll get it figured out, but may be a few days.

As far as B&H goes, I’ve ordered from them off and on for 17 years. This is the first snafu, so I’ll give them a pass. It’s a shame it had to be with the most expensive item I’ve ever ordered from them.

Happy you got it okay and like Paulette said, I am surprised that they didn't need an adult signature for such an expensive item.  But at least that hurtle is over and now to the set-up...after tax prep.  Tax prep is my least fave thing to do every year.  This year, I had to get it done early in order to buy my house....the lender wanted my most current tax return info.  Felt good to get it done early....first time I have ever done that.

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

When I was a very young boy in the north of the country we had a game called "Knocky Nine Doors" were we knock on someones door and run and hide.

They call it "Parcel Force" these days.

Allan

We called it "Ring and Run" for ringing the doorbell.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Michael Ventura said:

Tax prep is my least fave thing to do every year. 

I love doing my tax return (Self assessment) on line.  Had tax refunds every year so far.

Allan

1 minute ago, Michael Ventura said:

We called it "Ring and Run" for ringing the doorbell.

Could not afford door bells in those days.

Allan