Uploading as much content as possible during full lockdown, but ...

Cristine

Question

OK, I don't expect miracles with regard to sales! I began uploading in late September 2020 and, by the first week in November 2020, had over 100 photos on Alamy. I also had 11 zooms and 2 sales. I now have over 1300 photos ... and 11 zooms and 2 sales.

I try to upload the best quality I can. As soon as I'm able to, I'll be shooting with more people.

Can someone explain to me why things have stopped DEAD? No zooms. No sales.

19 answers to this question

Hi Cristine,

Ditto comments above on similars. No, not random snapshots. Re. Covid and having to stay in your local area, you can even do a lot of shots at home that sell.

Alamy is primarily an editorial agency. Have you had a look in books, magazines, newspapers, online newspapers (every article has an image at the top and it's normally a stock photo), websites for stock photos??? You can tell if they're stock photos if you look at the image credits. There are stock photos everywhere you look and these have been successful - i.e. they've sold. How do your images compare to these successful images? Are you producing what clients want?

You've got some very nice images, but I can't see a lot of them being published - for example, the water 'plunge' shots are nice, but a lot of them are very dark; you may want to review your lighting / editing. I think the composition, lighting and subject of these plunge pictures need to be near perfect to have a chance of selling. And even then, how often do you see these published? I can't remember seeing them outside of photography magazines (although they may be out there, I wasn't looking for them!)

edit. just had a look at some of your older photos. You've got a lot of pictures with the model looking at the camera. You never ever see pictures like this in the marketplace, apart from professional models used for e.g. perfume advertising. 'Lifestyle' (whatever that is 😆) pictures are all the rage, you need to be showing people doing activities that look like you just got a snapshot without them being aware, even if you spent an hour setting up the shot. Pictures of models looking at the camera and doing something are a cliche for being bad stock photos as it looks fake and set up (try Googling "bad stock photos"). Yes, I know that all shots like this are normally set-up, you just need to make it look like they're not.

Steve

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cristine said:

So what should I be uploading - random snapshots and farm animals (of which there are loads nearby).

Add a variety of subjects. ( as stated above you have many similars).

Some of your images look under exposed they need re-processing so they pop.

Craig.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cristine said:

So what should I be uploading - random snapshots and farm animals (of which there are loads nearby).

maybe more different approach portrait?  Your elderly man in 70s series, and he is a great subject, seems highly repetitive.  I would have tried to illustrate more current issues being faced by seniors nowadays- loneliness, mastering digital world, confusion, etc,  

I actually think some of your images actually do these, but due to lack of KW will never be found- him sitting alone in the attic could easily be usable for loneliness . 

On other hand though the Monk outfit may be interesting, not sure what is the usage of the 20 odd different shots.  One or two would have filled to niche, and actually you would have made potential buyers' life easier by telling them which is the best.

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cristine said:

How about images illustrating Brexit-related difficulties around the Welsh ports  You seem to be close to Pembroke.  A lot of the focus has been in Dover but the link above highlights serious problems for the Welsh ports and local businesses. 

Edited by MDM

8 minutes ago, Cristine said:

We are in lockdown  here. I can't travel to Pembroke just for 'exercise' nor can I shoot people (I have one other person living with me) who are not in my household.

Anyway, thanks for the replies ...

A lot of my recent sales are pictures I've produced at home during lockdown...

18 minutes ago, Cristine said:

We are in lockdown  here. I can't travel to Pembroke just for 'exercise' nor can I shoot people (I have one other person living with me) who are not in my household.

Anyway, thanks for the replies ...

OK I wasn’t advocating breaking lockdown regulations which seem to be stricter or at least more precise in Wales as to what is and is not permitted. I know some contributors here would argue that they are working when out shooting stock but that might not hold up too well if confronted by the police unless one is regularly shooting news professionally  -a bit of a grey area it seems. 

Anyway I think this situation with the Welsh ports might be an ongoing one though so might be worth keeping in mind when lockdown ends. 

In relation to your original post, you were probably very lucky to sell a couple of pics in your first few months on Alamy. It may have led to false hope of regular sakes which is not a given at all. 

• Like 1

The water splash photos look like the sorts of things people photograph when they're learning how to do this sort of short flash shot.   For someone to license these, I'd think you'd need to a reason to expect that item to be splashing into water.  Or water or wine to be splashing into a glass.   Does this happen in real life?

• Love 1

You asked for help, so here is my take and some suggestions. 

First, remember that stock photos need to illustrate something - Most images need a concept, e.g. lockdown, senior issues, etc, so a mask or a person wearing one illustrates that concept, but what concept do all those cool water images illustrate? You need to think, would a website, newspaper or magazine use this to illustrate a story or would a small business use this to help them sell something? 

Travel images need to show why someone would want to visit a place. That's a niche where Alamy shines, for me at least, most images they license of mine are travel related. Do you live in a beautiful area of Wales (my understanding is it is a simply gorgeous country) - go out and show your neighborhood. Especially if there are well known hiking trails, pubs, beaches, whatever - travel will return and while they like images of people doing things, those empty beaches etc also sell and when can you find things so empty? Empty streets, etc also indicate lockdown, a repeating theme. A dear departed forum friend made a small bundle with lovely Wales beach sunsets. Weather anywhere in the UK might also sell as a "photo of the day" if it's striking. 

Your idea of dressing your husband up like a farmer, a painter a monk, etc. is on the right track but have him do something, dig in the dirt to plant something, actually paint something and show him painting, that makes it salable. And remember, Images of people should show them doing things & look natural (even when actually posed). It should look like a very lucky snapshot - not a snapshot at all but with that unposed feel.

Good luck. You have the technical skills but study the best sellers here (look in your local paper), study the best sellers on the micros too, they are different than what sells here, but not that different. 

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 4
  • Like 3

You've been given lots of good advice here.

If it's any consolation I've seen a marked increase in my views and zooms since the start of the year but, following a couple of sales in January, nothing so far for February. Seems I may be heading for a "duck" this month.

Wishing you good luck going forward.

You may want to look at the work and blogs of the late Keith Morris.  He was one of Alamy’s highest earners and took the vast majority within Aberystwyth, his home town.  Putting aside the issues around his death, his advice and photographic practice is about the best there is for Alamy stock shooters.

• Like 1

I agree with all of the above. Why so many things being dropped into water? Not sure I get what they are for. And captions need some work eg this one wont turn up in any kind of search that I can think of apart from 'elderly man' "Elderly man in bib overalls. Post-processed for added drama."

Edited by Sally
  • Love 1