Inspiration from Jay Maisel

NYCat

23 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

"It's so much easier to take pictures if you have your camera with you."

😂

wim

Oh I dunno......if you have a biro you can do a quick sketch on your palm.......or if you can catch one, one of those little birds off the Flintstones will engrave you a quick snap with its beak.

And I haven't even broached the claret yet!

6 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks, Paulette. There's a lot to ponder there, even when it comes to stock photography.

I liked the idea of just going out without an assignment - seems to go against what a lot of stock 'experts' say - wandering and see what presents itself rather than agonising that the light is in the wrong place...

Also the comment about doing what you love - even if you don't ever become much of a success story you are still a winner compared to spending your life doing what you don't much like.

• Love 3

18 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I liked the idea of just going out without an assignment - seems to go against what a lot of stock 'experts' say - wandering and see what presents itself rather than agonising that the light is in the wrong place...

Also the comment about doing what you love - even if you don't ever become much of a success story you are still a winner compared to spending your life doing what you don't much like.

Yes, for sure. I'm always happiest when just walking about with my camera under no pressure and with nothing particular in mind. This approach doesn't always work for stock photography, though, which often requires some planning, although I think it's possible to combine the two attitudes to some extent. I suppose that if I didn't need the extra money (such as it is these days), I wouldn't bother with stock photography any longer. However, stock can be fun and satisfying from a practical POV -- i.e. when someone finds one of your photos useful even if it isn't exactly an earth-shaking image.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

Yes, thanks for posting this, I don't recall coming across Jay Maisel before and it seems from the books on sale that his name hasn't spread over to the UK so much. Many of his pictures are reminiscent to me of those of Saul Leiter who was about ten years older and passed away in 2013.

I was struck by "shooting with nothing to say is worse than talking when you have nothing to say, because at least with talking it's over, with shooting you still have to edit them". 

• Love 1

17 hours ago, NYCat said:

Here you go.... I love it and mentioned it before in the thread about films.....

Paulette

Thanks, Paulette. He sounds like quite a character. The film looks really good. I might try to rent it.

And I thought that I had a clutter problem... 😄

I've seen many of Jay's large dye-transfer prints that he had on his walls at the bank on the Bowery, about two blocks from me on Mulberry. But I had not seen most of the images in that video. When Jay moved to his townhouse in Brooklyn, that was just two blocks from where I grew up on Congress Street in Brooklyn. 

Thanks, Paulette.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

Paulette,

Thank you for the video link.

I really enjoy workshops and critiques and I had plans on attending a workshop at the Santa Fe Workshops this year.... I did a workshop at SFW a couple years ago and one back in the mid 90's. It is hard to find photography workshops tailored for the working professional photographer but they have them, plus Santa Fe is an amazing location.

As Stephen Covey says, You have to sharpen your saw...

I will not go into details, but Jay in my opinion is one of the last "really great" American photographers.

From my personal experience with him, we never met in person, was "mind blowing"  a great man, I

will cherish the small interaction, on the telephone, that we had forever.

Jay is and was always a perfect gentleman and a truly a great photographer.

Chuck

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/08/2020 at 11:39, John Mitchell said:

I've never seen this film about Jay Maisel, but it sounds intriguing.

I got this film out of the library and watched it this weekend.  Very interesting and inspiring.   Thanks for posting about it.  And thanks Paulette for posting the original video.

Maria

I saw it at the Film Forum... the only movie house in NYC that doesn't blast me with cold air and too-loud sound. I went with a friend who is not a photographer but is a potter and tile artist. She also enjoyed it enormously. It is good for anyone who wants to enhance their "looking and seeing" I think.

Paulette