Boxes etc.

Allan Bell

Question

When I buy A camera or lens or any other item of photographic equipment they mostly come in the manufacturers packing/boxes.

I have kept the boxes for everything I have in case I needed to send the item for repair or for when I might sell the item on. Space is at a premium and have been wondering about disposing of some of the boxes.

Do others keep the boxes for their gear or do they not bother.

Allan

18 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

When I buy A camera or lens or any other item of photographic equipment they mostly come in the manufacturers packing/boxes.

I have kept the boxes for everything I have in case I needed to send the item for repair or for when I might sell the item on. Space is at a premium and have been wondering about disposing of some of the boxes.

Do others keep the boxes for their gear or do they not bother.

Allan

I keep all my boxes - very useful for selling used gear. I keep them all in a... box under the stairs.

Steve

I keep them while I have the items, but then I have very little equipment, usually only one set at a time. A body and two lenses.

You always think you're going to need them, but some of the boxes are far too big and might cost you extra to post. Last time I sold on a Sony Alpha body I just wrapped it in 2" of bubble wrap and put it in a smaller box. But that was sold for spares. I've never sold on a working camera, just a kit lens or two.

Yes those boxes do pile up. Fortunately, or not, we have a large Edwardian garage with a ten-foot ceiling and a loft. A tip- fold up the supporting bits of card and put boxes in boxes.

For the last few weeks I've been using a lens that probably hasn't been in a box since the 1960s until my brother bought it at Boston market. In a vegetable box.

Edited by spacecadet

There is definitely something quite reassuring about buying something with a box and items such as cameras, lenses, Iphones etc. do tend to go for slightly higher prices, even the boxes on their own sell. It also generally makes them easier to post safely if you can box up the original box. Rightly or wrongly it gives the impression of someone reasonably fastidious who takes care of their gear, like yourself obviously! Also, as a generalisation, items are not generally stolen with their boxes.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

Thank you for your useful comments and tips on storage. It looks like I am going to have to find space.

Allan

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Garage? Not Edwardian I assume.

Double garage but it is full of stuff that I am having to home properly then I will see what space it left. May add a small storage space in the rafters.

Allan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

Double garage but it is full of stuff that I am having to home properly then I will see what space it left. May add a small storage space in the rafters.

Allan

Not got to put a car in it then. Unusually that's what's in ours and for the first time in years it's one that can actually get in and out on its own.

5 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Not got to put a car in it then. Unusually that's what's in ours and for the first time in years it's one that can actually get in and out on its own.

Yes there is a car in the garage which is used on a regular basis and keeping it in a locked garage reduces the insurance cost.

Allan

33 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I keep all boxes from photographic or electronic equipment. They live in the loft while I still have their contents,

That's a thought. I haven't had time to get up into the loft yet.

Allan

24 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

That's a thought. I haven't had time to get up into the loft yet.

Allan

Could you flatten/unfold some of the boxes? Not all have intricate protective stuff inside.

Some boxes fit in other boxes too.

wim

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

I keep all boxes from photographic or electronic equipment. They live in the loft while I still have their contents,

Same here.

John.

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Could you flatten/unfold some of the boxes? Not all have intricate protective stuff inside.

Some boxes fit in other boxes too.

wim

Thanks wim. I have been looking into packing boxes in boxes unfortunately there are not many of the boxes I have which will go into others. I would probably lose track of some boxes if they were in other boxes too.

Unfortunately the boxes I have are all intricately designed.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

I keep boxes mainly because they help when selling gear later on. Buyers of used equipment seem to like getting a lens or camera body in the original box. It's a psychological thing I guess. I'm the same way. These days, though, I tend to buy most of my equipment secondhand, so I don't usually have any boxes to keep. Hmmm... I seem to be talking myself into a box here. 😉

public-soapbox-on-the-sidewalk-in-downto

Edited by John Mitchell

I was keeping them, but threw a number of boxes out recently for things like smaller Godox lights.  I tend to use gear until something goes wrong.  Shipping gear out of Nicaragua would be painfully complex, and selling locally -- mheh, I suspect copies of my invoices would be more useful, along with customs paperwork.