Where are they now, what happened to?

geogphotos

Question

Some of us on this forum have been discussing, arguing, helping, bickering, etc etc for maybe 15 years on various forums. Friendships and not, allies and adversaries at times, but all passionate and really and truly on the same side. 

I'm thinking about people I haven't heard about or from for a while.

Bob Croxford

Chris Elsdale

Bob Ginn

Geoff Kidd

I'm sure other names will come back.

Hope that all are well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

I did have some photos on myloupe, but quickly moved over to Corbis and Alamy as the 21st Century opened things up.

One of the biggest reasons we've lost touch with so many people we once knew well is that there was a great battle that stretched from the late nineties to about 2004 or 5. (although there are still a few holdouts). People formed into two camps; RM and RF and fought to the bitter end. Lots of them were really hurt!  Many never attended conferences after that and many more stayed away from our online groups.

As recently as 2018, I kept my eyes open at photographer's conferences in order to see if there was anybody I could reconcile with. I saw a few and was stunned to see how old we all look!

What I liked about myloupe, apart from the well designed website, was that they had a similar philosophy to Alamy -- i.e. their collection was unedited and you could basically upload whatever you liked. Perhaps they had an influence on Alamy. I'm not sure that there has been a clear winner in the RM/RF wars. Most of us seem to have ended up with a foot in each camp. Mind you, one foot is usually bigger than the other. 😀

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

No-one has missed me then :-( . Just logged onto the forum after a very long time to see if anyone else is reporting a rash of refunds. All my stock collections have gone zombie, not touched keywording since it last changed, not uploading. Even lockdown hasn't inspired me to do anything about the many terabytes of unprocessed images on my hard drive that will never see the light of day. Keeping busy playing with old motorbikes and bicycles. Anyone want to buy a load of previously unseen travel images now that you can't go anywhere to take them yourself?

Tony (long live BHZ)

8 hours ago, Tony Collins said:

No-one has missed me then 😞 . Just logged onto the forum after a very long time to see if anyone else is reporting a rash of refunds. All my stock collections have gone zombie, not touched keywording since it last changed, not uploading. Even lockdown hasn't inspired me to do anything about the many terabytes of unprocessed images on my hard drive that will never see the light of day. Keeping busy playing with old motorbikes and bicycles. Anyone want to buy a load of previously unseen travel images now that you can't go anywhere to take them yourself?

Tony (long live BHZ)

Hi Tony

Good to hear from you.

I mentioned you just the other day - there is a thread about when the last re-rank was. 😀

I suggested that if we played a new game we should call it ZHB .

ATB

Ian

On 04/05/2020 at 18:37, geogphotos said:

Some of us on this forum have been discussing, arguing, helping, bickering, etc etc for maybe 15 years on various forums. Friendships and not, allies and adversaries at times, but all passionate and really and truly on the same side. 

Bob Croxford

Chris Elsdale

Bob Ginn

Geoff Kidd

Hope that all are well.

I’m still here!

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 18:37, geogphotos said:

Bob Croxford

Chris Elsdale

Bob Ginn

Geoff Kidd

Hope that all are well.

Hi Ian,

Am still around, as Brian Yarvin mentioned I am mainly on another forum although not posting a lot these days.  Chris is fairly active on FB as a mother/grandmother now. Not heard from Bob C for a long time (I too thought he retired). Sadly the Ginnster may not be with us any more as he was ill for some time - Dennis McD was in touch so may have some news (I think he is still on the forum).

Met some of the guys here last year at Cambridge meet up - left Alamy but got them to switch back on recently as they kept on sending me money.  Not really been in the stock business for a few years but trying to reignite the blue touch paper recently.

I did post in the thread early on but, as my first post, it took a few days for it to be moderated so kinda got lost.

Regards from very sunny Norfolk.

On 31/05/2020 at 11:06, GeoffK said:

Hi Ian,

Am still around, as Brian Yarvin mentioned I am mainly on another forum although not posting a lot these days.  Chris is fairly active on FB as a mother/grandmother now. Not heard from Bob C for a long time (I too thought he retired). Sadly the Ginnster may not be with us any more as he was ill for some time - Dennis McD was in touch so may have some news (I think he is still on the forum).

Met some of the guys here last year at Cambridge meet up - left Alamy but got them to switch back on recently as they kept on sending me money.  Not really been in the stock business for a few years but trying to reignite the blue touch paper recently.

I did post in the thread early on but, as my first post, it took a few days for it to be moderated so kinda got lost.

Hi, Geoff, good to see you.

On 31/05/2020 at 17:06, GeoffK said:

Hi Ian,

Hi Geoff.

Allan (one of the Cambridge lot)

Now one of the Lincoln lot.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
Moved home.

On 31/05/2020 at 17:06, GeoffK said:

Hi Ian,

Good to hear from you! 😄

I still miss the old StockPhoto group, SAA, even the old AlamyPro... Good discussions on various aspects of stock and not only stock, input from people with different specialities, lots of market and business discussions. And yes, RF/RM wars. Sadly, current Alamy forum seems to be dominated by documenting sites/things one sees during travels and walks, the need to have 1000s of images to start seeing sales, and the "everything sales" ideas.

GI

If you search using the pseudonym RosaIreneBetancourt and a number you will find Jeff's photos.  The numbering is not sequential a little random and there seems to be roughly 9200 images per pseudonym.  I'm thinking there may be other pseudonyms too.  "Florida" is a good search term to start with, numbers 8,9 and 10 worked for me.