Jump to content
  • 0
geogphotos

Where are they now, what happened to?

Question

Some of us on this forum have been discussing, arguing, helping, bickering, etc etc for maybe 15 years on various forums. Friendships and not, allies and adversaries at times, but all passionate and really and truly on the same side. 

 

I'm thinking about people I haven't heard about or from for a while.

 

Bob Croxford

 

Chris Elsdale

 

Bob Ginn

 

Geoff Kidd

 

I'm sure other names will come back.

 

Hope that all are well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

There’s a simple mnemonic: divorced, beheaded, died; divorced, beheaded, survived. Happy to help...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
25 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

There’s a simple mnemonic: divorced, beheaded, died; divorced, beheaded, survived. Happy to help...

 

 

I am not trying to remember what happened. 

 

Surely you know what mnemonic means?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

...the likely lads?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Steve F said:

...the likely lads?

 

 

Feel free to introduce others.

 

Chris Elsdale is female. Her husband Bob did amazing creative images - elephants dancing - which actually involved elephants not just Photoshop.

 

 

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Ian, we must forgive those folks out there that don't share our memories.

 

I last saw Bob Croxford in NYC around 2006 or so. He sold his business sometime during the past decade and was retiring to his beautiful home in Cornwall.

 

Bob Ginn, was very ill the last I heard and was not as interested in conversation as he was before. I suspect he may no longer be with us.

 

Geoff Kidd is still very active on some photography and CGI boards. I last saw a post from him yesterday.

 

Mike Karlsson and Chuck Goodenough, two guys who were very active on the various stock photo discussion boards, have both passed away. To my deep regret, I was unable to attend the memorial for Mike, something I still deeply regret all these years later.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Ian, we must forgive those folks out there that don't share our memories.

 

I last saw Bob Croxford in NYC around 2006 or so. He sold his business sometime during the past decade and was retiring to his beautiful home in Cornwall.

 

Bob Ginn, was very ill the last I heard and was not as interested in conversation as he was before. I suspect he may no longer be with us.

 

Geoff Kidd is still very active on some photography and CGI boards. I last saw a post from him yesterday.

 

Mike Karlsson and Chuck Goodenough, two guys who were very active on the various stock photo discussion boards, have both passed away. To my deep regret, I was unable to attend the memorial for Mike, something I still deeply regret all these years later.

 

Dennis MacDonald?

 

Denise MacDonald - still around?

 

David Sanger - I heard the story that he had some system on his phone that would alert him to every sale he made at Alamy, and at some meetings the phone would just never stop making noise.

 

I remember Chuck Goodenough's name.

 

How about Jacque Jangoux (sp?) a botanist in Brazil?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I chatted with Dennis last year and have seen posts from him during the past few weeks. I believe that he would be the oldest of everybody you've named. He and his wife still travel North America by RV (caravan to some of you) and he's promised to stop by the next time they're in the area.

 

David Sanger is tough to keep up with because he has the same name as a famous journalist. (who looks and sounds nothing like him)

 

I haven't exchanged messages with Jacques Jangoux in years, but he's posted on Facebook during the past hour, I just checked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Dennis Hallinan?

 

I used to think of him as my favourite Alamy photographer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Have you tried searching on Facebook?

 

wim

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Wim, I only did if I had friended them in the past. That's how I found Jacques. I had completely forgotten that I had David Sanger as a Facebook friend too. He has posted in the past few weeks, but somehow, it didn't show up on my wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

And what about Jeff G? Did he pack up and leave?  I only see 294 photos of his when searching his name on Alamy.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

And what about Jeff G? Did he pack up and leave?  I only see 294 photos of his when searching his name on Alamy.

 

Last I heard he's living a life of luxury on a private yacht moored in The Bahamas.

 

Just kidding, of course, but you never know... 🤑

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I get 38,738 images of Miami for Greenberg.

My guess is that the rest is there too.

He posts at quite a few places. Even at Dpreview.

I don't use Twitter, FB or Insta, but isn't that where most people hang out nowadays?

 

wim

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Last I heard he's living a life of luxury on a private yacht moored in The Bahamas.

 

Just kidding, of course, but you never know... 🤑

 

Only 179 images for Bahamas and Greenberg. 😎

 

wim

edit: wow emojis can be italic

Edited by wiskerke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
18 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

I don't use Twitter, FB or Insta, but isn't that where most people hang out nowadays?

 

Wim, these are all useful if you have business besides stock photography. For me, Facebook is a place to sell books and Instagram is a great introduction to editors and buyers. Twitter is especially good for those who teach and conduct workshops. (which I no longer do)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

 

Only 179 images for Bahamas and Greenberg. 😎

 

wim

edit: wow emojis can be italic

 

Rumour has it that his yacht goes very, very fast... 😉

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

 

Wim, these are all useful if you have business besides stock photography. For me, Facebook is a place to sell books and Instagram is a great introduction to editors and buyers. Twitter is especially good for those who teach and conduct workshops. (which I no longer do)

 

Yes I know, and I am perfectly content with someone else in our household (2) doing all these things. 😁

The point is: if you're looking for people these are the places to start. Plus LinkedIn of course.

And: you/I/we may have lost connection to some people because you/I/we are not active (or not enough) on these social media.

Then again these are trying times and someone who reports having a cough or a sneeze one day, nothing to worry about, can be on a ventilator the next. As we (Brian and me) have just witnessed in some other place.

 

wim

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Yes we have Wim.  But it's happened before too. We as a planet are collectively very sick right now, however, when you think about it, we've been sick for a long while. The funerals of several of our fellow stock photographers came about very suddenly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

IME people that you know only in the ephemeral online world can "disappear" very quickly. I've known people's Linkedin, FB, etc. accounts to sit idle for years. E-mails go unanswered, and you never hear from them again. All that's left are their avatars and a lot of outdated info. From dust to digital.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

John, these days, I'm pretty much seeing what you've described, but in the early days of the internet, most stock photography discussion was between people I'd known already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
18 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

John, these days, I'm pretty much seeing what you've described, but in the early days of the internet, most stock photography discussion was between people I'd known already. 

 

Yes, the Web is now populated with countless cyber-ghosts. I'm one of them actually. I have a Twitter account that I haven't used for years, a Linkedin one gathering serious dust, abandoned blogs and buried websites, orphan images floating around in the digital ether, etc.  BOO! 👻

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

IME people that you know only in the ephemeral online world can "disappear" very quickly. I've known people's Linkedin, FB, etc. accounts to sit idle for years. E-mails go unanswered, and you never hear from them again. All that's left are their avatars and a lot of outdated info. From dust to digital.

 

My sister passed away 7 years ago and her facebook account is still there. No one knew her passwords and she didn't leave them anywhere, so her social media accounts just sit inactive but live.  Can't bring myself to remove her from my friends list.  I have given my hubby all my passwords to bank, social media and others (including this one).  I don't want to linger online.

 

Jill

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

And what about Jeff G? Did he pack up and leave?  I only see 294 photos of his when searching his name on Alamy.

 

Could Jeff G, possibly be Jeffrey Isaac G?  If it is then over 100K images on here. Still around, just not on the forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
34 minutes ago, hsessions said:

 

Could Jeff G, possibly be Jeffrey Isaac G?  If it is then over 100K images on here. Still around, just not on the forums.


He has a lot of Pseudonyms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

 

My sister passed away 7 years ago and her facebook account is still there. No one knew her passwords and she didn't leave them anywhere, so her social media accounts just sit inactive but live.  Can't bring myself to remove her from my friends list.  I have given my hubby all my passwords to bank, social media and others (including this one).  I don't want to linger online.

 

Jill

 

 

 

I'm very sorry to hear that. Good advice regarding passing along passwords before passing away. This is something we all need to do these days (note to myself).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.