Jump to content
  • 0

Where are they now, what happened to?


Question

Some of us on this forum have been discussing, arguing, helping, bickering, etc etc for maybe 15 years on various forums. Friendships and not, allies and adversaries at times, but all passionate and really and truly on the same side. 

 

I'm thinking about people I haven't heard about or from for a while.

 

Bob Croxford

 

Chris Elsdale

 

Bob Ginn

 

Geoff Kidd

 

I'm sure other names will come back.

 

Hope that all are well.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted (edited)
On 05/05/2020 at 04:29, geogphotos said:

How about Jacque Jangoux (sp?) a botanist in Brazil?

 

I visited Jacques Jangoux at his home in Belem in Brazil a long time ago. He hasn't bothered with Alamy for a long time.

 

Richard Wareham dropped out of Alamy altogether after the commission cut.

 

Philippe Clement (Arterra) is still doing well.

Edited by gvallee
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I remember that very first, rather clunky, Alamy forum where threads looked like the ‘Mouses Tale’ in Alice in Wonderland!

What was that called? Before the Yahoo forums.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

To answer my own question. I suppose the simple answer is that they are no longer doing stock photography for one reason or another ( or no longer actively producing new images).

 

I see Bob Croxford's business Atmosphere Publishing is still going strong ( apart from the pandemic) selling postcards, books, and all sorts of other products.

 

An object lesson in making the absolute maximum use of a relatively small number of truly high quality images, building one's own unique market and brand, and not joining in the 'race to the bottom'.

 

https://www.atmosphere.co.uk

 

I also see Chris E listed at Companies House as an active director of their photography business and a Google search for 'Bob Elsdale' brings up many of the images that I remember, presumably, still going strong. 

 

Sad, to learn, if true, that Bob G has died. He always sounded a bit like stock's Hemingway in tone and I recall a major spat between him and Chris E at one time. Which was funny if not directly involved. Can't recall the details now,

 

Good to know that Geoff is still busy with CGI, come to think of it I did have an email from him a while back.

 

It's just that these people all used to be so active on stock Internet forums.

Edited by geogphotos
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, gvallee said:

 

I visited Jacques Jangoux at his home in Belem in Brazil a long time ago. He hasn't bothered with Alamy for a long time.

 

Richard Wareham dropped out of Alamy altogether after the commission cut.

 

Philippe Clement (Arterra) is still doing well.

 

 

Yes, I am in some contact with Philippe and Richard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

 

 

Yes, I am in some contact with Philippe and Richard.

 

I often have a joke with, and sometimes a pop at, Phillipe on FB. Of course he always gets one back at me. All in good fun.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Richard Wareham can very easily be found using Google. The first entries are his site on PhotoDeck and his LinkedIn presence.

There are however other Richards Wareham. Like the one on GitHub and the one playing rugby. Who may be the same person, but I doubt it.

Funky (his pseudo here) did a long walkabout down under before Corona. He came home on the last flight out.

He sort of blogs on LinkedIn. Images from his last trip can be accessed through there as well.

(I'm guessing he will not mind me posting this.)

 

wim

 

edit: he didn't 😎

Edited by wiskerke
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

 Sheila Smart. You better have a license if you use her photos, she will track you to the ends of the earth. Great lady and tough as nails.

Edited by Shergar
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 04/05/2020 at 11:44, Brian Yarvin said:

.

 

Mike Karlsson and Chuck Goodenough, two guys who were very active on the various stock photo discussion boards, have both passed away. To my deep regret, I was unable to attend the memorial for Mike, something I still deeply regret all these years later.

 

Are you referring to Mikael Karlsson who used to work with the late Ron Engh at Photosource International?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 04/05/2020 at 19:44, Brian Yarvin said:

Geoff Kidd is still very active on some photography and CGI boards. I last saw a post from him yesterday.

 

Mike Karlsson and Chuck Goodenough, two guys who were very active on the various stock photo discussion boards, have both passed away. To my deep regret, I was unable to attend the memorial for Mike, something I still deeply regret all these years later.

 

Brian...active me....not so much.

 

Ian, like others mentioned,I have pretty much given up on stock production. I try to stay away from the boards - regret the rancour but have met some lovely people (Chuck was a great example).

 

Left Alamy but eventually thought better as other places closed - it's now just occasional fun/therapy to produce work.

 

A number of the people mentioned are on FB but rarely doing much with new photography.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

John, yes I am. Some of you will remember that even though his formal first name was spelled in Swedish, he went by the American nickname "Mike" while he was living in the States.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brian Yarvin said:

John, yes I am. Some of you will remember that even though his formal first name was spelled in Swedish, he went by the American nickname "Mike" while he was living in the States.

 

Very sorry to hear that. I corresponded with Mike K. numerous times when he was at Photosource International, and he was always very helpful. I used to subscribe to PSI's photo-request newsletters and even set up a photo website with them when things went digital. As I remember, early online sales were few and far between, but it was a very good learning experience. I still have my copy of Ron Engh's book Sell & Resell Your Photos on my bookshelf.

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

John, that's the guy. In fact, Mike was the ghostwriter of most of those books. Rohn wrote only the first few editions. 

 

While their marketing ideas are as obsolete as rotary phones, their basic premise of having a specialty that you cover in a very narrow and deep way is more important than ever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

John, that's the guy. In fact, Mike was the ghostwriter of most of those books. Rohn wrote only the first few editions. 

 

While their marketing ideas are as obsolete as rotary phones, their basic premise of having a specialty that you cover in a very narrow and deep way is more important than ever.

 

They certainly were a big help to me when I started licensing my Latin America photos on my own during the mid 90's. I did get the feeling that Ron Engh was more in the background in his later years.

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Rohn's later years were his nineties!

 

Long, long ago, Rohn wrote books, published newsletters, and gave workshops. Before that, he himself has something of a career as a photographer/writer. Fifteen years or so ago when I was teaching classes in stock and specialist photography, Rohn and Mike sent me great teaching materials.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
23 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Rohn's later years were his nineties!

 

Long, long ago, Rohn wrote books, published newsletters, and gave workshops. Before that, he himself has something of a career as a photographer/writer. Fifteen years or so ago when I was teaching classes in stock and specialist photography, Rohn and Mike sent me great teaching materials.

 

I guess he deserved to sit back and relax at that point. 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Sort of ... I believe that he sold more than 100,000 of those books and who knows how many newsletters and workshops. It should be noted that his wife closed the business down within weeks of his passing. At that point, there were no assets and no real book value. There's actually a really sad backstory, but I'll save that for another thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Sort of ... I believe that he sold more than 100,000 of those books and who knows how many newsletters and workshops. It should be noted that his wife closed the business down within weeks of his passing. At that point, there were no assets and no real book value. There's actually a really sad backstory, but I'll save that for another thread.

 

I seem to remember reading that sad story somewhere but don't recall the details. Did you contribute to MYLOUPE based in Chicago? It was one of the first online stock agencies (that I knew of). They developed a really good website -- as good as if not better than anything around today IMO -- but had trouble marketing it. Nonetheless, I made some decent sales through MYLOUPE in the beginning. The owner Brian Heston eventually gave up and the agency was acquired by UIG as I remember.

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I did have some photos on myloupe, but quickly moved over to Corbis and Alamy as the 21st Century opened things up.

 

One of the biggest reasons we've lost touch with so many people we once knew well is that there was a great battle that stretched from the late nineties to about 2004 or 5. (although there are still a few holdouts). People formed into two camps; RM and RF and fought to the bitter end. Lots of them were really hurt!  Many never attended conferences after that and many more stayed away from our online groups.

 

As recently as 2018, I kept my eyes open at photographer's conferences in order to see if there was anybody I could reconcile with. I saw a few and was stunned to see how old we all look!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Very sorry to hear that. I corresponded with Mike K. numerous times when he was at Photosource International, and he was always very helpful. I used to subscribe to PSI's photo-request newsletters and even set up a photo website with them when things went digital. As I remember, early online sales were few and far between, but it was a very good learning experience. I still have my copy of Ron Engh's book Sell & Resell Your Photos on my bookshelf.008

 

That's the book I first read when I learned about stock circa 2008 - still on my bookshelf. Incredibly helpful. 

 

Scary how fast any one of us could disappear these days. Glad all here are well. Sorry for those who've been lost since this forum began. 

Edited by Marianne
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Brian Seed - who was part of the attempt to set up as a photographers' co-operative called Picaid back in 2005/6?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

For those of us who have been around for some time and used the old forum ... who could ever forget the infamous Scroogle and his many aliases !!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
25 minutes ago, Martyn said:

For those of us who have been around for some time and used the old forum ... who could ever forget the infamous Scroogle and his many aliases !!

 

Oh yes, I had forgotten him. Trying to expose his new alias through his punctuation. LOL!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
41 minutes ago, Martyn said:

who could ever forget the infamous Scroogle and his many aliases !!

 

Ah... the good old days...

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Brian Seed - who was part of the attempt to set up as a photographers' co-operative called Picaid back in 2005/6?

 

Brian Seed was British, lived in Chicago during the nineties, and published a newsletter for stock photo agencies. Apparently, he was a photographer too, but long before. I met him a few times during the heyday of those stock photo meetings and conferences. I never subscribed to his newsletters and regret that now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.