Songs for our times.

Just now, spacecadet said:

Not a dry cough, then. That's OK.

🙂 you might think it's okay but I was enjoying that coffee 🙂

DD

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Weird and wonderful (unless you hate it).  

Not bad. Interesting!

While I'm listening to my 40 odd versions of Bach's Matthäus Passion I can see where that's coming from. My personal favorite in that field is this young Dutch/NZ band, My Baby:

They have played Glastonbury a couple of times. There's an introduction video here. The best part is towards the end where they're showing how they achieve their sound.

I was introduced to them by this photographer/guitarist friend of mine who died last year. Months before corona. He was 70 years old.

So I'm not the only old geezer who likes this band and can't sit still.

OK back to Bach now. - It's that time of year again.

wim

• Love 1

10 hours ago, NYCat said:

Recommended by David Brommer of B&H,,,

That's very intriguing Paulette, I like it.  Thanks for posting.

Maria

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I take it you’re not a fan. 😄

🙂 . . . it's not CD herself, just the songs she sometimes chooses. Sometimes I do find it hard reconciling a particular artist with a particular song. . . and to be fair, CD's version of this is nowhere as cringworthy as her version of "you shook me all night long" . . . 🙂 🙂 🙂 . . .

DD

6 hours ago, dustydingo said:

🙂 . . . it's not CD herself, just the songs she sometimes chooses. Sometimes I do find it hard reconciling a particular artist with a particular song. . . and to be fair, CD's version of this is nowhere as cringworthy as her version of "you shook me all night long" . . . 🙂 🙂 🙂 . . .

DD

Yes, me too. I usually try to find the original artist that made a song a hit. And sometimes I really resent it when a newer artist sings it and changes it a lot. Sometimes I have a hard time recognizing it.

There is a reason the original became a big hit. Melody...style....

• 5 weeks later...
On 27/03/2020 at 20:50, NYCat said:

Recommended by David Brommer of B&H,,,

<VIDEO>

Fascinating.  I was right with it until the English vocals kicked in (just using that as a reference point; nothing to do with the use of English!), then it got a little too 'bad-trippy' for me!

On 28/03/2020 at 01:44, wiskerke said:

Not bad. Interesting!

While I'm listening to my 40 odd versions of Bach's Matthäus Passion I can see where that's coming from. My personal favorite in that field is this young Dutch/NZ band, My Baby:

<VIDEO>

They have played Glastonbury a couple of times. There's an introduction video here. The best part is towards the end where they're showing how they achieve their sound.

I was introduced to them by this photographer/guitarist friend of mine who died last year. Months before corona. He was 70 years old.

So I'm not the only old geezer who likes this band and can't sit still.

OK back to Bach now. - It's that time of year again.

wim

New band to follow (thanks!) - loved both of those 'My Baby' videos.  Really good to see musicians who are so open-minded and 'open-eared' (!): Delta Blues meets Trance 🤯! Guitarist obviously has a solid blues background (so great to my ears); add Sly & the Family Stone to the mix and there's a really great basis for a party. :) 

I could add to this list all night, but I'll go with some straight blues from an incredibly talented and original blues guitarist, Roy Buchanan.  Saw him live in 1980 (somewhere in Austin, TX, I think)? Past his best then, but glad really glad I saw him.

Gone off on a blues tack now - got Stevie Ray Vaughan thundering through the headphones - be a couple of hours before I investigate Bach!

EDIT: BTW, I only just latched on to this thread on the last page, so missed the whole basis for it - doh! Sorry - figured it was just for what one is currently listening to.  Anyhow, bit late now! 😂

Edited by losdemas

11 minutes ago, losdemas said:

<> be a couple of hours before I investigate Bach!

You have till Easter next year 🤣

@ Roy Buchanan: while my guitar gently weeheeeheeeheeeheeeheeeeeeeps!

These ones also from Austin, but 1976.

Never knew he died the way he did. Apparently very few people actually do. I know where that jail is. He seems to have lived nearby.

Wow, that Austin 76 show is on youtube.

wim

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

You have till Easter next year 🤣

@ Roy Buchanan: while my guitar gently weeheeeheeeheeeheeeheeeeeeeps!

These ones also from Austin, but 1976.

Never knew he died the way he did. Apparently very few people actually do. I know where that jail is. He seems to have lived nearby.

Wow, that Austin 76 show is on youtube.

wim

I knew of his problems with alcohol, but no, I was never aware of his tragic end till now. Very sad. He had gotten quite into Christianity when I saw him - I remember him playing a few low-key religious songs, which he was clearly into, but the audience had come to hear him play the blues.

Wow! That YouTube video is a masterclass. Effortless string bends and so inventive.

eye of the tiger, Survivor.

some lyrics

It's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all with the eye of the tiger
Face to face, out in the heat
Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry
They stack the odds 'til we take to the street
For the kill with the skill to survive

Now I remember the 70s TV series Survivors about a pandemic

3 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

Now I remember the 70s TV series Survivors about a pandemic

Ah, I remember it well! I imagine that it would appear very dated now, but the first series (by the marvellous Terry Nation - he of the Daleks) was excellent; quickly went downhill after that.

• Love 1

On 22/03/2020 at 07:24, John Morrison said:

I'm making up a mix-tape of songs, suitable for a time of 'self-isolating' and 'social distancing'. So far I've got All by myself, by Eric Carmen and Don’t stand so close to me, by the Police. More suggestions, please... How about this catchy little number????

Edited by Shergar