2020 March Favourite Uploads

gvallee

Colourful layers of mudstone and siltstone at Ochre Pits, West MacDonnell Ranges, Northern Territory, Australia

Aboriginal people have extracted ochre from this cliff for thousand of years for ceremonial purposes.

Yellow ochre is caused by a mixture of clay and iron oxide.
The white colour comes from kaolin and white clay.

2B29J48.jpg

2B29J3D.jpg

• Love 1

Rainbow Valley, near Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia, is an iconic sandstone outcrop surrounded by a claypan.

2B2EABJ.jpg

2B2EAD2.jpg

2B2EACY.jpg

View from the deck of a BC ferry last month as it heads towards the Sunshine Coast. 2B2FE0Y  

I don't ride the ferries that often and I absolutely love the views.  This isn't that far away from the city, and we really lucked out with the weather.

View from a BC Ferry traveling to the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia in the Winter.  Beautiful water and mountain views on a BC ferry deck. Stock Photo

Edited by MariaJ

9 hours ago, MariaJ said:

View from the deck of a BC ferry last month as it heads towards the Sunshine Coast. 2B2FE0Y  

I don't ride the ferries that often and I absolutely love the views.  This isn't that far away from the city, and we really lucked out with the weather.

View from a BC Ferry traveling to the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia in the Winter.  Beautiful water and mountain views on a BC ferry deck. Stock Photo

Were you just sailing out to Nanaimo from Horseshoe Bay?  That is Anvil Island just left of the head of man with hoodie, and to its left snowy dome of Mt. Wrottesley (1625m), very infrequently ascended as you must either hire water taxi to get you across Howe Sound, or paddle from Porteau Cove.  Here is one trip report:  https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/23164-mount-wrottesley-potlatch-1027-a.html

6 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Were you just sailing out to Nanaimo from Horseshoe Bay?  That is Anvil Island just left of the head of man with hoodie, and to its left snowy dome of Mt. Wrottesley (1625m), very infrequently ascended as you must either hire water taxi to get you across Howe Sound, or paddle from Porteau Cove.  Here is one trip report:  https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/23164-mount-wrottesley-potlatch-1027-a.html

We were sailing from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale.  Thanks for pointing out the islands and mountains.  I haven't travelled to them myself.

One of most overshot scenes globally -- tens of thousands of images on just about every stock agency around.  So it has 0 chances of getting sold;  in fact certain micro even rejected it with "This image has already been submitted" --- which I saw for the first time!   But it is beautiful place, really and I liked my 2 hour stay very much:  Famous White Temple in Northern Thailand:

white-temple-exterior-and-natural-park-i

Nearby is golden temple, which is not so badly overshot although I have strong doubts this one will get sold either.  But it is really impressive & if you are visiting White Temple, it is worth walking a bit around the pond (if nothing to escape tourist hordes!)  for this view;  image is vertical stitch of 4 frames:

gold-yellow-temple-exterior-vertical-pan

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

The sign seems a bit Health and Safety gone bonkers 😐 No offence to wheelchair users.

Wheelchairs have handbrakes now?

Disc or drum? ABS?😀

Edited by spacecadet

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Wheelchairs have handbrakes now?

Yes, they actually do.  They are little levers that you set that prevent the chair from rolling.  My father used a wheelchair towards the end of his life and it really helped when moving him from the chair to a car or bed etc... 

Ta Prohm Khmer Temple in Angkor Wat, Cambodia with that famous tree roots growing out of ancient ruins;   filming site of Lara Croft the Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie:

massive-tree-roots-growing-from-ancient-

There are tons of photos of this place already,  and most better than mine.  It was mid-day with probably worst light.  Then tons of people;  I wanted clean shot with nobody, but this is literally impossible so I had to make do with this close-up that does NOT reveal the dramatic, surreal feeling you have when you see this.  But despite all this, it is my memory on this day in early Feb '20 and opportunity to enjoy yet another Wonder of the World;  thus it is favorite upload!

Had some interest in Gaia this month, but image was a tight in crop on the flower world globe. So decided to put world in space leaving lots of room for type.

Three versions collectively showing entire world, as Alamy is an international agency.

AustralAsia version

concept-illustration-of-james-lovelocks-