Experienced stocker photographers explain what I did wrong?

Good day! Happy New Year!
Not that I'm so greedy, but I want to find out the truth. It often happens that people come directly to me and ask, so to speak, to give them a from one of my photos. The reasons are very different - but mostly financial. Since I myself am not very rich, as a rule, I go to meet the requestor. 
But recently an interesting incident happened to me. A few weeks ago I have sale one of the photos

the-kit-an-environmentally-friendly-wood

(Country: Worldwide Usage: Personal use, Impresiones, tarjetas y regalos personales o referencias para artistas. Solo para un uso no comercial; no se permite la reventa. "Translation of Spanish text - Prints, cards and personal gifts or references for artists. For non-commercial use only; Resale is not allowed.''
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
46 MB
4927 x 3263 pixels
658KB compressed
Start: 03 December 2019
End: 03 December 2024).
And the next day she was returned (04 December 2019) Sale refunded - Original sale date (03 December 2019).
But why not an explanation for the reason for the return?
I think this is a certain element of fraud, IMHO.
What do you think about this, gentlemen, experienced stockers who have been working with Alamy for a long time?

Edited by Alla Bama

I've had a couple of refunds - but the sale normally goes through again the next day - sometimes at a slightly different price! (maybe a change in licence type pr exchange rate?)

You could set up a Google reverse image search, or use one of the image tracking websites to see if it gets used - That will see it if its on the web, but not used on a presentation of personal project.

You could ask customer support what happened - they are normally quite helpful.

Regards

Jools

Apparently some people think they are buying the actual product ! I am not sure how, maybe they search google for the product, end up directed to Alamy and don't realise its a stock photo agency ? I have just had one too. Then I guess once they get a 'file' with the image they ask for the refund. It seems to happen a lot, hopefully Alamy will find a way around this happening, especially as obviously the 'file' can't be returned unused!! 

At the moment its just a part of the game I'm afraid. Personal Use abuse is easy and will continue to be so while Alamy insist on giving buyers the full resolution image. The idea that the buyer thinks that they are buying the actual physical product is probably true in some cases (it could be with your image of the brush) but I , and many others, have had photos of shops, and industrial subjects sold as personal use. With a no-arguments image refund policy and a full resolution file, Alamy are rolling out the red carpet to infringers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, george said:

Apparently some people think they are buying the actual product ! I am not sure how, maybe they search google for the product, end up directed to Alamy and don't realise its a stock photo agency ? I have just had one too. Then I guess once they get a 'file' with the image they ask for the refund. It seems to happen a lot, hopefully Alamy will find a way around this happening, especially as obviously the 'file' can't be returned unused!! 

On contrary, I think buyers understand everything perfectly. In vain you make white lambs of them.
Alas, I see no good reason for Alami to take this seriously. After all, they are neither cold nor hot from this.

1 hour ago, Colin Woods said:

At the moment its just a part of the game I'm afraid. Personal Use abuse is easy and will continue to be so while Alamy insist on giving buyers the full resolution image. The idea that the buyer thinks that they are buying the actual physical product is probably true in some cases (it could be with your image of the brush) but I , and many others, have had photos of shops, and industrial subjects sold as personal use. With a no-arguments image refund policy and a full resolution file, Alamy are rolling out the red carpet to infringers.

I totally agree with you!

1 hour ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Probably because they found it on Shutterstock for $0.33 cents 🙄

I don’t think so!
To buy at Shutterstock for $ 0.33 cents - you need to buy a subscription for at least $ 250. And in Alamy this can be done absolutely free. They reimbursed everything - penny for penny.

3 hours ago, Jools Devon said:

I've had a couple of refunds - but the sale normally goes through again the next day - sometimes at a slightly different price! (maybe a change in licence type pr exchange rate?)

You could set up a Google reverse image search, or use one of the image tracking websites to see if it gets used - That will see it if its on the web, but not used on a presentation of personal project.

You could ask customer support what happened - they are normally quite helpful.

Regards

Jools

Of course, I will do so - but there is little sense in this. Until Alamy himself understands that he is digging a hole for himself. And that a digital product is like underwear - it cannot be returned and exchanged.

• Love 1

As others have said, there have been numerous instances of people thinking they are buying the actual product so I would not rule that out in this case, particularly as the image is very good and looks very much like a product ad shot. Something may have been lost in translation as well. 

26 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

This is why, since a few months ago, I am no longer allowing my images to be licensed

for "Personal Use."

Chuck

I had a file, refunded the same day it was invoiced (and not repurchased), for a packet of medicine - but it was sold as a presentation or newsletter use.

4 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Probably because they found it on Shutterstock for $0.33 cents 🙄

Assuming that's what I see for 28p, that would only be if they had a subscription for 350 images a month for £99 month. Not all buyers need/want that many images or to spend £99/mo.

It's not as simple as you made out.

I get refunds of exclusive images here.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, george said:

It may be that the file is never downloaded. If someone thought they were buying a product, they probably wouldn't download a photo of the product. Presumably Alamy can see if that was the case (that it wasn't downloaded).

2 hours ago, Alla Bama said:

On contrary, I think buyers understand everything perfectly. In vain you make white lambs of them.
Alas, I see no good reason for Alami to take this seriously. After all, they are neither cold nor hot from this.

Alamy lose the same or more money than we do on refunds.

Do you never return a product to a shop or which you bought online?

Note: I'm not happy when I get refunds, and there were three last year which were very strange indeed. You may have prompted me to follow them up with Alamy!

Edited by Cryptoprocta

1 hour ago, MDM said:

As others have said, there have been numerous instances of people thinking they are buying the actual product so I would not rule that out in this case, particularly as the image is very good and looks very much like a product ad shot. Something may have been lost in translation as well. 

and is the first image for a Google search of   "environmentally friendly kit brush"

(which is a thing Alamy seem to do well....  so hopefully we gain more than we lose when someone is actually looking for the image)

Edited by meanderingemu

7 hours ago, Alla Bama said:

Of course, I will do so - but there is little sense in this. Until Alamy himself understands that he is digging a hole for himself. And that a digital product is like underwear - it cannot be returned and exchanged.

Actually, it's the use of the digital file, not the file itself that is being returned. That said, refunding personal use licenses makes it much too easy for people to get high resolution files for free. Unfortunately, Alamy doesn't seem concerned about this. I've yet to have a PU or presentation sale refunded, but it sounds as if I've been lucky.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alla Bama said:

Until Alamy himself understands that he is digging a hole for himself. And that a digital product is like underwear - it cannot be returned and exchanged.

But as refunds are pretty much standard in the industry, (apart from tiny value sales from e.g. SS, which can't be refunded), it would be uncompetitive not to allow them.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Note: I'm not happy when I get refunds, and there were three last year which were very strange indeed. You may have prompted me to follow them up with Alamy!

And what prevents Alamy from stopping this, how did everyone do it? Moreover, this is done elementarily.

No, I never return a purchase. Because I relate to purchases thoroughly and unhurriedly. Online goods (real), too, do not return - because I do not buy them. What for? It's not hard for me to tear my ass off the couch and go to the store. Once bought online and sworn for a lifetime.

I am flattered that I am at least prompted you to do something.

19 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

There are no refunds for digital products like software bought online... a hi-res image download should be the same, non refundable, but also, as has been suggested many times, not available as hi-res for certain uses.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alla Bama said:

And what prevents Alamy from stopping this, how did everyone do it?

I don't know any other crowd-sourced agency which doesn't allow refunds except for the very low sub-type sales. Therefore it would be a serious competitive disadvantage for Alamy not to allow refunds.

• Love 1