New payout level comes at a cost !!?

Alamy is a UK company and much of its business is in the US so why should it bear the cost of paying into euro accounts?

Another thing, it's rather bad form to run down your agent on a public forum. Alamy is not our employer and we don't have to use it. If we do, we abide by the contract.

Before I come to a firm opinion on this, may I ask: what's Skrill?!!!  I had never heard of them, but it basically seems to be an alternative version of Paypal, viz: a method of transferring/receiving funds.  Is this not a viable option for those with Euro (or other non-£ or US$) bank accounts?  Is Skrill not free for individuals to join and use it's services?

Sorry if this isn't clear. Alamy aren't charging you here. The charge is a PayPal charge, which goes to PayPal. You can receive a free bank transfer in the UK or US, and if you're based outside you can get a free payment from Skrill. 

Sorry if this isn't clear. Alamy aren't charging you here. The charge is a PayPal charge, which goes to PayPal. You can receive a free bank transfer in the UK or US, and if you're based outside you can get a free payment from Skrill. 

Ah - there you go: Alamy have answered my question.  I'm now opinionated - I don't see any problem!  You just use Skrill instead of Paypal - or am I missing something still?!

Normally I would not receive other than small amounts via PayPal or Skrill - as they charge heavily on the r.o.e.

So, a US$ ( or €) bank transfer to European banks would cost - how much???

Alamy is a UK company and much of its business is in the US so why should it bear the cost of paying into euro accounts?

Another thing, it's rather bad form to run down your agent on a public forum. Alamy is not our employer and we don't have to use it. If we do, we abide by the contract.

Pfff..... i tought i was the only one here that things this way. Everything can be discussed and i dont think that Alamy want to punish the photographers. I would never send images here to Alamy if i dont like "their way". Business is business and nothing is a gift. To have more at the end we need all to participate. Nothing dramantic happend i think.  But maybe it is better to not add oppinion anymore in this topic :). I respect anyones oppinion here.

I give spacecadet with pleasure a +1.

First, If this is how you feel why haven't you come to the forums asking alamy to charge a fee to the Euros before today since you're so favourable to the the idea of us being punished?

Second, this forum is managed by alamy, and if it's public it's because alamy decided this way. Contributors have the right to express their opinions, and if alamy provides a space where we can do it, actually benefiting the agency by the input (although not always positive) we give them, we have the right to do it.

I don't think alamy mandated you as moderator or master-censor. When alamy feels a discussion is not of interest it blocks it as it has happen numerous times, and down the road may even make the forum visible only to contributing photographers.

Until then, censor your own opinions when you see fit and let other make those decisions for themselves.

Hardly free Alamy

This from their website:

Do you apply any foreign exchange fees?

For transactions involving currency conversion Skrill adds a fee to our wholesale exchange rates. This competitive FX fee varies between 2.99% and 4.99%. This charge helps protect both parties from the volatility and risk associated with FX markets. It may vary according to your account status. 

Apart from our annual fee (€10), we only charge for ATM usage (€1.80) and foreign exchange. The fees stay the same whether you are at home or abroad.

• Skrill card ATM withdrawals cost €1.80
  • Bank wire withdrawals to primary bank accounts cost €2.95
  • Bank wire withdrawals to secondary bank accounts may cost up to €3.50
  • Credit/debit card withdrawals cost €2.95.
  •  

i meaned to say that i am happy that we can have a extra office. And about the fee i guess it is something withhold by paypal and not Alamy.

Mirco

It's not 'something withhold by paypal'  . Are you high?????

I think you'll find it is (in a fashion). And abusing fellow forum members is really poor form, imo.

dd

i meaned to say that i am happy that we can have a extra office. And about the fee i guess it is something withhold by paypal and not Alamy.

Mirco

I think you'll find it is (in a fashion). And abusing fellow forum members is really poor form, imo.

dd

If I wish to continue receiving Alamy payments into my Euro account then I must pay a fee apparently. This has nothing whatsoever to do with PayPal.

I don't regard 'Are you high?' as abuse.

Regards

Richard

So why don't I get charged by paypal for other american based sites I'm with?

And as everyone keeps asking 'How Much Is This Charge Going To Be?'

If I wish to continue receiving Alamy payments into my Euro account then I must pay a fee apparently. This has nothing whatsoever to do with PayPal.

Mirco

dd

I don't regard 'Are you high?' as abuse.

Regards

Richard

Actually after living 20 years in the Netherlands i could be high. But today not :). I will place my new oppinion on the moment i get high.

Mirco

I'm in the UK so the extra charge won't apply to me - but I think Alamy ought to offer the choice of free payment for $175 or if you opt for the $100 then there might be an extra charge.

I don't know why we can't be paid any outstanding cleared funds at the end of each month in any case.

John.

Totally agreed, same boat, same thought! Whats up with this, Alamy?! want to increasingly allienate your suppliers as time goes by?

Agree Mark 100%

Alamy says the aim is to allow everyone to receive a free payment option.

I have never heard of Skrill but why don't one of you Paypaler's set up an account and find out what the costs to you would actually be to receive payment that way.

Better still Alamy can you explain how Skrill would work for contributors please?

Regards

Chris E

Most of you wanted to transfer at lower fees, the thing is fees are going to be very small. For example, if I transfer money into any other bank account e.g. Bank x to bank y, I would have to pay a small fee to cover the cost of the trasnfer. ive just been looking at this skrill holding company the fees seem low, even if you do occur, a fee which alamy has assured us it is free. (https://www.skrill.com/en/home/)

Maybe Alamy can reassure those of you who need reassurance on this matter. However, you could always send member services a email asking for further information.

I do wish it was more clear on the fees, I have to say i'm with a few other agencies that are based in Europe, that pay out in Euros and in US with lower payouts than 100 and I never get charged, as a matter of fact I've never gotten charged to get paid from paypal from anywhere at anytime from anything. I truly find this odd and probably nothing I can do but allow the richer get richer. I'm definitely not impressed especially when it's not mentioned how much we actually have to pay to get paid, which sounds absurd to me.  All this time I thought I was working for myself.

While US and UK contributors get their bank transaction fees absorbed, those of us living in Canada must pay $15 for each bank transfer. This is not a small fee, it's an additional 15% for a $100 payment!

To get a lousy $85 (based on a $100 payout), I now must sell $200 or more worth of image licences…at Alamy's ridiculously low licencing prices that have come about recently.

Are sales so bad that contributors need paltry $100 handouts to keep them around?

I was perfectly happy with the original $250 payment threshold I signed onto five years ago, I could absorb the still painful $15 bank transfer charge on that amount. Can I go back to being paid by cheque? No fees were charged on that.

And Skrill is no better (see below)...and I need to carry yet another credit card.

Dave

Hardly free Alamy

Sorry if this isn't clear. Alamy aren't charging you here. The charge is a PayPal charge, which goes to PayPal. You can receive a free bank transfer in the UK or US, and if you're based outside you can get a free payment from Skrill. NOT!

This from their website:

Do you apply any foreign exchange fees?

For transactions involving currency conversion Skrill adds a fee to our wholesale exchange rates. This competitive FX fee varies between 2.99% and 4.99%. This charge helps protect both parties from the volatility and risk associated with FX markets. It may vary according to your account status. 

Apart from our annual fee (€10), we only charge for ATM usage (€1.80) and foreign exchange. The fees stay the same whether you are at home or abroad.

• Skrill card ATM withdrawals cost €1.80
  • Bank wire withdrawals to primary bank accounts cost €2.95
  • Bank wire withdrawals to secondary bank accounts may cost up to €3.50
  • Credit/debit card withdrawals cost €2.95.
  •  

OK, so I'm in the UK, but I have to say well done Alamy. I have waited for payments before that are close to the limit and currently have one $1.31 'short'. With prices these days my small business goes along on a wing and a prayer and anticipated quicker payments will help my cash flow. :)

Jim.

Agree Mark 100%

Alamy says the aim is to allow everyone to receive a free payment option.

I have never heard of Skrill but why don't one of you Paypaler's set up an account and find out what the costs to you would actually be.

Better still Alamy can you explain how Skrill would work for contributors please?

Regards

Chris E

Firstly Alamy bears the cost of payments into UK and US banks and will continue to do so. Alamy has decided that payments into Euro bank accounts will be charged.

Secondly Skrill isn't a 'free' option to Euro account holders as a cursory glance at their website makes plain.

And to spacecadet I would say that I'm well aware of which agencies I may or may not chose to use. Alamy seem to change the 'contract' as and when they require more money. This isn't 'running them down' simply pointing out a few truths about Alamy that seem to be increasing in regularity in past few years.

Regards

Richard

The contract I signed didnt have that on it.

First, If this is how you feel why haven't you come to the forums asking alamy to charge a fee to the Euros before today since you're so favourable to the the idea of us being punished?

Second, this forum is managed by alamy, and if it's public it's because alamy decided this way. Contributors have the right to express their opinions, and if alamy provides a space where we can do it, actually benefiting the agency by the input (although not always positive) we give them, we have the right to do it.

I don't think alamy mandated you as moderator or master-censor. When alamy feels a discussion is not of interest it blocks it as it has happen numerous times, and down the road may even make the forum visible only to contributing photographers.

Until then, censor your own opinions when you see fit and let other make those decisions for themselves.

I'm also entitled to my opinion. I'm censoring no-one. Skrill charge an exchange commission, but so do Citibank currently. I hardly think that bearing a cost of doing business is punishment.

Just because you can express an opinion doesn't mean you should.

If you use mass payments I dont have to pay a fee. You pay 26 dollar per mass payment, I pay 3,4% to get paid. There is not one agency that makes me pay fees on my earnings. Not one.

My royalties have just been cut to 46.3% or 36.3%.

Just revert back threshold to 175 dollar. Why is that free anyways, and now it isnt.

I know enough, I will be closing my account.

The contract I signed didnt have that on it.

quote spacecadet

Then you have six weeks to withdraw as per the amendment and you did sign a contract which allowed for amendments with notice.

So why don't I get charged by paypal for other american based sites I'm with?

And as everyone keeps asking 'How Much Is This Charge Going To Be?'

Its the fee on your own paypal account, so possible 3.4%

Archived