Sign in to follow this  
Steve Tucker

Alamy Live news - Catch 22?

Question

I have had a long break from stock, not that I am a massive contributor but I do get the odd sale now and again. I am looking at giving it another go and see that I now have to apply to get access to Live News. Fair enough but one of the pre-requisites for the application is "Please upload a recent PDF of a news clipping showing your published work" so is this catch 22 or is there anyway I can get accepted to make it worth going looking for news images?

Cheers

Steve

8 answers to this question

Alamy has tightened up its access to news by simply removing news access from most contributors who don't make news sales regularly. It was done without notice.

So the simple answer is no.

Alamy say that if you have suitable images you can email and get access, but I certainly wouldn't bother.

Basically, unless your are primarily a live new photographer, Alamy don't want to know any more, as far as live news access goes. They will allow occasional live news type pictures from non-live news contributors through the Reportage route (search forum for recent discussion on the subject if you want to know more). Reportage doesn't appear in the live news stream but it does appear in the library within 24 hours.

Hello Steve, I'm in agreement with Joseph and spacecadet, but might add to the thoughts on what might be worth disturbing the live news alamys. First of all forgive me for having an unsolicited peak at your portfolio, hey, we all do it. I see you can take an interest in cycling and drone photography. Now last year there was a bike race through Bristol and Somerset. The local P* and Ge**y togs had taken themselves to Cheddar Gorge and got some excellent pictures looking down on the Pelleton as it snaked through the gorge.  Several were picked up by the nationals. If you could get something as good as that it might open a door.

Good luck

Thanks all, I thought that might be the case, I have in the past submitted the Live news image. I like your idea Mr Standfast and may try it at some point when it is not too far from home.

I have tried emailing about news images that I have submitted through the reportage feed but have not had response from the news team on the three occasions that I have tried this. 

Hope you're more successful

1 hour ago, Eden said:

I have tried emailing about news images that I have submitted through the reportage feed but have not had response from the news team on the three occasions that I have tried this. 

Hope you're more successful

Eden, if interested in gaining live news access you should email news@alamy.com with a sample image within an hour of shooting, not uploading as reportage then emailing. If interested they have previously indicated they will give temporary access. What does look bad when trying to gain access is exceeding the 600 maximum character and spaces limit as in your reportage upload from 17/08/19. Alamy has recently emailed most live news contributors stressing their captioning requirements. Since I lost my live news I would never consider emailing for access with run of the mill news that would likely never be front page material but could sell later as stock. I know a small amount of current live news contributors do, as well as exceeding 600 characters and no more than 20 of your best images, but that's the way it is.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Eden, if interested in gaining live news access you should email news@alamy.com with a sample image within an hour of shooting, not uploading as reportage then emailing. If interested they have previously indicated they will give temporary access. What does look bad when trying to gain access is exceeding the 600 maximum character and spaces limit as in your reportage upload from 17/08/19. Alamy has recently emailed most live news contributors stressing their captioning requirements. Since I lost my live news I would never consider emailing for access with run of the mill news that would likely never be front page material but could sell later as stock. I know a small amount of current live news contributors do, as well as exceeding 600 characters and no more than 20 of your best images, but that's the way it is.

Do we know of anyone who has done that, got access and made live news sales?

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Do we know of anyone who has done that, got access and made live news sales?

I emailed and got given access for a day.. I didn't make any sales though.