Clouldy Day Curse

Jill Morgan

It seems I suffer almost constantly from a cloudy day curse. Any time I have time to go out and do some photography, the skies are dark and flat.  The one sunny day I had in downtown Toronto was almost too bright.

I don't want to spend all my time fixing skies in photoshop. Got some great airplane shots from the back of the Toronto airport on Saturday, but of course it was a cloudy dull dark dank dreary dismal day.

Yesterday evening I had one wonderful chance. A break in the clouds where the sun was just low enough that the light streamed across the field and and through my colourful maple trees, with still the dramatic dark purple sky dead ahead. I remembered my camera gear was in the car as I had taken it with me to town. Go to car. Not there. Remembered I brought it in. Grab bag. No lens on camera. Put on a lens and run outside. Turn on camera. No card in camera. Run in house. Put in card. Run outside. Sun gone behind cloud. AHHHHHH

Rant over.

"Everybody talks about the weather but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Now I know why, Jill. Mostly, trying to alter the day's light in Photoshop doesn't work. 

And the time spent just doesn't seem worth the money you just might licence it for. 

There must be a photographic technique that makes the most of all types of weather.  I'm trying to learn as many as I can, so I can carry on whatever the weather.  The biggest problem is a cloudy day when the wind is so strong it blows the tripod over.  I had a few timelapses ruined by that, even when the tripod was weighted down.

I don't mind staying in and editing on rainy days but there's too many dull sky days in the UK and I start to panic if the  forecast is good.

I went out yesterday in a mostly grey sky environment. Got back to the desk and binned the whole lot. Colourless, lack of any real oommphh. 

I know some people have sold loads of dreary pics of dull skies and stuff, but it does fill you with fatigue when its everyday lol 

There must be a photographic technique that makes the most of all types of weather.  I'm trying to learn as many as I can, so I can carry on whatever the weather.  The biggest problem is a cloudy day when the wind is so strong it blows the tripod over.  I had a few timelapses ruined by that, even when the tripod was weighted down.

I don't mind staying in and editing on rainy days but there's too many dull sky days in the UK and I start to panic if the  forecast is good.

Cloudy, windy days? Stay in and do some studio shots?

Oh! What would we talk about if it was not for the weather?

Allan

Me too Jill......same this morning. Think my middle name might be "Flat". Very depressing!  On the plus side, I was inspired seeing someone else's superb, atmospheric landscapes a week or so ago - all taken in flat light.  And spurred on spent an hour in the semi rain and gloom at dusk at Cromer. Got some lovely saturated colours and messed about with some long exposures.  Some of them are probably too manipulated for Alamy QC?.  You can see some of them here http://julespix.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Cromer     The flat dull light can be annoying but sometimes it can work in one's favour.  And of course....when I was out at the weekend doing some outdoor family portraits and wanted flat light....it was piercing strong sun!  At least it gives us something to moan about other than low photo prices!

Okay, folks . . . you can't do landscapes on an overcast day . . . for the most part anyway. But an overall, flat light is good for closer ups, details and portraits. So saying you can't take photographs is disingenuous. Just add a little contrast and saturation and you have my favorite light: bright open shade. 

In film days, I used to have a hundred or so varied images of the sun on slide film that I'd taken on overcast days. I would sometimes sandwich these suns with another subject also taken on overcast days. So maybe we should be storing some suns in a folder so we can put them together with other subjects in PS. 

Ed  :)

100 reputation points, Ed . . . you'll be getting a telegram from the Queen shortly.

dd

100 reputation points, Ed . . . you'll be getting a telegram from the Queen shortly.

dd

I don't think Craig reads this forum.

Allan

Archived