Posted (edited)

Hello, 

I do not come here too often but this time I got truly shocking price for my image and do not really know whom to ask to answer my question.

My latest sale price is $ 1.25 and this is RM license, the previous one was $ 5.03 and still another one 4.99 but the last one is the worst. Does anybody know what that means and how is that possible? All sales are RM. Is Alamy now a microstock agency as those prices are microprices? 

I sent my question to support but surprise, surprise,  there is no support anymore but automated answers. What is going on here? Is it still worth uploading at all? And is there any human at Alamy to be in touch with contributors? I used to get an answer to all my questions and it was quite fast but no more? 

I must admit, i do not like it at all. It would be great to get some support from the contributors at least. 

Edited by Margaret

The automated response comes first.  Shortly afterwards you should get a reply from a real person.  Unfortunately, these replies are rarely satisfying.  The low prices you have noted are becoming increasingly common.  Many contributors have also noted that their number of monthly sales is also declining the last 2-3 months.  We all need to speak up about this.  These prices are basically an insult to serious photographers.  The problem is that with over 150 million images Alamy does not seem to be concerned about alienating its contributors, figuring that if we stop submitting it will hardly be noticed.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Margaret said:

Hello, 

I do not come here too often but this time I got truly shocking price for my image and do not really know whom to ask to answer my question.

My latest sale price is $ 1.25 and this is RM license, the previous one was $ 5.03 and still another one 4.99 but the last one is the worst. Does anybody know what that means and how is that possible? All sales are RM. Is Alamy now a microstock agency as those prices are microprices?

Just wondering, were these direct sales or distributor sales? If they were the latter, than Alamy probably has little or no control over pricing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

The automated response comes first.  Shortly afterwards you should get a reply from a real person.  Unfortunately, these replies are rarely satisfying.  The low prices you have noted are becoming increasingly common.  Many contributors have also noted that their number of monthly sales is also declining the last 2-3 months.  We all need to speak up about this.  These prices are basically an insult to serious photographers.  The problem is that with over 150 million images Alamy does not seem to be concerned about alienating its contributors, figuring that if we stop submitting it will hardly be noticed.

Alamy are functioning in a marketplace where imagery has seen prices driven down by the tide of microstock, and the proliferation of phone cameras and their users, who will often allow their images to be used simply for the reward of seeing their name on the credit. I don't for one moment think that Alamy think it is in anyone's interest, least of all their own, to drive down prices by their own choice. Imposing a minimum price level would simply reduce sales further still. Alamy is not the problem.

It may well be that there is no way back from here, we are almost overwhelmed now. However I, for one, will do what I can by at least making sure I don't add to the ocean of images on microstock sites, and encouraging other contributors here to do the same. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

19 hours ago, Margaret said:

Hello, 

I sent my question to support but surprise, surprise,  there is no support anymore but automated answers. What is going on here? Is it still worth uploading at all? And is there any human at Alamy to be in touch with contributors? I used to get an answer to all my questions and it was quite fast but no more? 

I must admit, i do not like it at all. It would be great to get some support from the contributors at least. 

An understandable reaction.  I too had that $1.25 direct sale, with $0.50 to me.  It was a " NU Editorial website and app multiple use, in perpetuity".

Quite novel indeed. 

Posted (edited)
On 15/05/2019 at 23:43, Joseph Clemson said:

Alamy are functioning in a marketplace where imagery has seen prices driven down by the tide of microstock, and the proliferation of phone cameras and their users, who will often allow their images to be used simply for the reward of seeing their name on the credit. I don't for one moment think that Alamy think it is in anyone's interest, least of all their own, to drive down prices by their own choice. Imposing a minimum price level would simply reduce sales further still. Alamy is not the problem.

Agreed. I also think websites like ****** that offer high quality copyright-free images are putting pressure on the stock photography business.

Edited by Shepard
Took out a site name.

4 hours ago, Reimar said:

An understandable reaction.  I too had that $1.25 direct sale, with $0.50 to me.  It was a " NU Editorial website and app multiple use, in perpetuity".

Quite novel indeed. 

There is the argument that if you don’t like NU prices then you should opt out... but then that probably means that you don’t get the sale at all. And I have noticed that site also buys from microstock. so it comes down to whether you are in the ‘something is better than nothing’ or the ‘I refuse to sell my images for pennies’ camp.

Thank you everybody for your answers. I've just had a look and in spite of the fact that this Novel option is optional, we cannot opt out at the moment. It says we can do it in.... April, so it looks like not much can be done and the best images from Alamy will continue to be given away for free, as paying 1.50 for something that should cost several times more is giving away for free. It is hard to understand truly how the company which has been selling images for good prices for decades, now starts following the pattern of going downhill with prices. How much can Alamy make when getting 50% or even 60% for one photo. Is 50 pence really worth degrading images like that? How many of them must be sold to get truly good income for both Alamy and contributors? When I agreed to that option I was not told that prices would be so extremely low. 

There are shops for rich people in the world and there are poundland shops where everything costs one pound for the poor. The rich can afford to pay much more for good quality goods, why this cannot be reflected in the photo industry? I am not happy about it at all and If it was possible I would like to opt out from that awful Novel agreement right now. It looks like all photo agencies are cutting the branches they are sitting on. And photographers who submit their photos to freephoto websites. This novel scheme is not a good deal for anybody. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Shepard said:

Agreed. I also think websites like

I believe that we are not supposed to mention or discuss other libraries by name here on this forum but I know what you mean. When I looked into them I was pretty appalled by the sense of mission of those behind it.

Edited by Harry Harrison

4 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I believe that we are not supposed to mention or discuss other libraries by name here on this forum but I know what you mean. When I looked into them I was pretty appalled by the sense of mission of those behind it.

Sorry about that. I edited the site name out of my original post.

There are a few of these but overall this year my average price is better than last, it's the number of sales that worries me. Not as high as they should be.