14 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Have to admit that I'm not looking forward to seeing that first 40% sale.

Well, if it's a few bucks sale you'll not notice the difference that much 

24 minutes ago, stipe said:

Well, if it's a few bucks sale you'll not notice the difference that much 

My only sales through Alamy so far have been for under $5 - of which I get $1 for each of them (distributor) so you are absolutely right I will not notice the difference on any more of those lol.

I think I'll be a mix moving forward.

I have another agency that accepts editorial, so they will get first dibs on some (some will only ever go straight on here)

For content on here, I am going to experiment with a mix of RF and RM - all editorial as RM.

But any content I put as RF, I don't think I will mark as exclusive. And those RF files will find a broader distribution, probably including micro, so losing a little on them won't make much difference.

As far as 50% goes there is a slight change.

When the price totalled odd pennies the contributor used to get the odd penny.

Now it seems that alamy get the odd penny.

I am not quibbling about this just that it is an interesting point.

Allan

5 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

As far as 50% goes there is a slight change.

When the price totalled odd pennies the contributor used to get the odd penny.

Now it seems that alamy get the odd penny.

I am not quibbling about this just that it is an interesting point.

Allan

Many a little makes a mickle.

Last time Alamy changed this when it came up in the forums.

Niels

Just now, Niels Quist said:

Many a little makes a mickle.

Last time Alamy changed that when it came up in the forums.

Niels

I thought it was "Many a mickle makes a muckle".:mellow:

Allan

8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I thought it was "Many a mickle makes a muckle".:mellow:

Allan

Obviously this has changed from the time of my old dictionary - seems to be various editions of the saying, thanks. I am only Danish, so "mange bække små gør en stor å."

31 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

mange bække små gør en stor å.

Google translates this to "many bays small make a great oh":(

Thanks Niels and please let me say you are not "only Danish", you are Danish.

Allan

On 21/02/2019 at 14:56, Reimar said:

Well my first sale today netted me 40% of the sale price. 

One positive: Alamy gave me the push to spread out to other sites.  In the end I expect I'll at least double my income.  Thanks Alamy.

If you avoid microstock, are there many other non exclusive traditional stock libraries out there that are successful?

I have struggled in the past to find good ones, with the ones I joined being rather disappointing so far. 

16 minutes ago, andremichel said:

If you avoid microstock, are there many other non exclusive traditional stock libraries out there that are successful?

I have struggled in the past to find good ones, with the ones I joined being rather disappointing so far. 

My experience is the same. 

So I'm going MS, much as I hate the idea.  The one site I started with looks like it will match my Alamy income in short course.

As an aside, now that Alamy doesn't even require model releases on file, what a contrast with MS sites that require soooo much information in the uploaded MR that I've mostly given up.  My existing MR's are so simple.

22 minutes ago, Reimar said:

My experience is the same. 

So I'm going MS, much as I hate the idea.  The one site I started with looks like it will match my Alamy income in short course.

As an aside, now that Alamy doesn't even require model releases on file, what a contrast with MS sites that require soooo much information in the uploaded MR that I've mostly given up.  My existing MR's are so simple.

Are all your images RF? Most of mine at RM. 

I don't talk from experience, but I would have thought just the "Tier 1" MS site would significantly beat your Alamy income all on it's own. 

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:07, M.Chapman said:

Same here. Not their smartest move IMHO.

Mark

The headline figure on the homepage has continued to fall from 155 million images to 153 million. If they are cracking down on the "agencies" that upload thousands of images and then fail to do any real keywording, so much the better. But if they are losing quality content, which is more likely, then they have shot themselves in the foot. Though that would be consistent with Alamy's apparent desire to drive away their best contributors.

40 minutes ago, andremichel said:

Are all your images RF? Most of mine at RM. 

I don't talk from experience, but I would have thought just the "Tier 1" MS site would significantly beat your Alamy income all on it's own. 

Many but not all of my images are RF.  At this point in time I am not going to worry about RF/RM or commercial/editorial.  I have to work withing the guidelines of each site.

Yes, Tier 1 is probably the way to go.

15 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Many but not all of my images are RF.  At this point in time I am not going to worry about RF/RM or commercial/editorial.  I have to work withing the guidelines of each site.

Would that be the Microstock site that feels the need to put a link to the Modern Slavery Act on their homepage?

13 minutes ago, Reimar said:

If I was to consider MS, I was just wondering if I can submit my existing RM images (on Alamy and elsewhere) to MS as RF without first changing them to RF on Alamy etc.

Or I might just give up on Stock photography altogether. I don't feel particularly motivated currently. Too much work for too little reward. 

I've had two $$$ sales this month, and volume is up during the first two months of 2019, so I'm not planning on making any big changes at the moment. Alamy continues to work well for me. Hopefully the move to more exclusivity will increase sales volume over the next few months. If not, then I imagine that more of us will start re-evaluating our situations. Have to say, though, that despite recent events, my experiences at Alamy remain far better than those at other places I've dealt with.

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

Would that be the Microstock site that feels the need to put a link to the Modern Slavery Act on their homepage?

I don't think so - at least I haven't found that.

Or are you pulling my leg? (English humor sometimes escapes me)

26 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I don't think so - at least I haven't found that.

Or are you pulling my leg? (English humor sometimes escapes me)

Have a look right at the bottom of the page (not 'joking' as such - it is there on the one I looked at. Good use of the phrase 'pulling my leg' from a non-native speaker though!)

Hopefully I won't get pelted with red arrows for bringing this up. :unsure:

I'm not a fan of the microstock model for still images. However, with all the talk of contributors now submitting to micro agencies, I wonder if Alamy shouldn't consider setting up a "budget collection" of exclusive microstock-like images (RF, non-editorial). The fact that these images would be "exclusive" might (?) give Alamy some leverage in this market and allow them to charge higher prices. I have a fair number of backgrounds, abstracts, pretty flower pics, etc. that I've considered submitting to micros. However, I find the quantity of these types of images on micros to be overwhelming, and I can't see how they would do well there. Rather than having them languish, I'd consider making these exclusive -- for now --  images available (on an opt in/out basis) if Alamy had a low-cost option that paid better than MS.

Any thoughts on this?

Archived