1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

1131. Using a simple search “person”, I have 1131 images with that tag. 

How many do you have? Nice to give one an idea whether one should concentrate on including more people in one’s shoots.  Or not.

Betty

Coincidentally, I have 1132 images with "people" in the keywords. However, I often don't include "people" because buyers can use the filters.

I admit to not being the greatest people photographer. Also, I'm not as comfortable photographing people as I used to be. Times have changed, and maybe people have changed as well. B)

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

However, I often don't include "people" because buyers can use the filters.

You might be shooting yourself in the foot. Sure, buyers can use filters, but what if they don't?

There has been 672 pages of results (20 results per page) for 'people' in the last year.

Similarly, I err on the side of caution regarding 'vertical'. I know there is automatic orientation recognition, but there is also 23 pages of results for search word 'vertical'.

Gen

To answer Betty's question, I am pleasantly surprised that a search on 'people' on my portfolio returns 2,552 results. I would have never guessed I had so many.

I must be getting braver LOL! 

Do they sell? That's another story. Sometimes they do.

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

You might be shooting yourself in the foot. Sure, buyers can use filters, but what if they don't?

There has been 672 pages of results (20 results per page) for 'people' in the last year.

Similarly, I err on the side of caution regarding 'vertical'. I know there is automatic orientation recognition, but there is also 23 pages of results for search word 'vertical'.

Gen

Ouch! Guess I should start putting "vertical" (and possibly "horizontal" as well) in my keywords.

There are also searches containing "tilted". However, I'm not sure what "tilted immovable pregnant women" might be. B)

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I try to religiously use horizontal and vertical. Many times while preparing in AIM, I double check that I have the appropriate tag, if not, I add it.

I'm thinking that "vertical" -- and to a lesser extent "horizontal" -- might result in a lot of false positives in search results.

Oh boy . . . I've got just 166 popping up under "people." Mind you, I have thousands of images with people in them, but my tagging is obviously terrible on this word. 

Betty, you may be good about shooting verticals, and when I asked in the past, forum folks said they always shoot both. However, all we have to do is spot check collections and we'll see that verticals are not happening. 

Edo

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh boy . . . I've got just 166 popping up under "people." Mind you, I have thousands of images with people in them, but my tagging is obviously terrible on this word. 

Betty, you may be good about shooting verticals, and when I asked in the past, forum folks said they always shoot both. However, all we have to do is spot check collections and we'll see that verticals are not happening. 

Edo

I do that, Edo. When the subject warrants, I try to have each. I do sell verticals. Not that I have suitable images for this, but I would think book covers would warrant verticals. Although much of the time a vertical can be cropped from a horizontal. In fact, I often do it myself. I usually crop to the 8x10 size.

Edited to added...just taking a quick count, approximately 25% of my sales are verticals. 

49 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I do that, Edo. When the subject warrants, I try to have each. I do sell verticals. Not that I have suitable images for this, but I would think book covers would warrant verticals. Although much of the time a vertical can be cropped from a horizontal. In fact, I often do it myself. I usually crop to the 8x10 size.

Edited to added...just taking a quick count, approximately 25% of my sales are verticals. 

Haven't done the math, but I'd say that at least 25% of my sales are verticals.

On 2/7/2019 at 20:44, John Mitchell said:

Coincidentally, I have 1132 images with "people" in the keywords. However, I often don't include "people" because buyers can use the filters.

Not sure that you can rely upon the filters John, in my experience there are umpteen squared images on Alamy where the filter fields have been totally ignored. This is very frustrating when looking for images found in the papers, as I have discovered that it is a complete waste of time to use the filters. Best therefore to include the word people, where appropriate,  in my view.

To be clear I always try to complete the people box, but suspect I may be in a minority.

Indeed the standard of keywording amongst some is atrocious - however I am finding these photos, they are selling!  Typically many  live news images are sloppily keworded, I guess, under pressure of time, the contributor uploads a ton of images with generic keywords that don't  apply to all of the photos.  So, for example, you are looking for a named individual,  and that person does not appear on half the shots with that keyword.  Not all are guilty of course. 

Then there is that infuriating characteristic of AIM, which I am sure leads to many false positives.

Just checked I have 1835 people results, probably some more that should be so tagged.

19 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Not sure that you can rely upon the filters John, in my experience there are umpteen squared images on Alamy where the filter fields have been totally ignored. This is very frustrating when looking for images found in the papers, as I have discovered that it is a complete waste of time to use the filters. Best therefore to include the word people, where appropriate,  in my view.

To be clear I always try to complete the people box, but suspect I may be in a minority.

Indeed the standard of keywording amongst some is atrocious - however I am finding these photos, they are selling!  Typically many  live news images are sloppily keworded, I guess, under pressure of time, the contributor uploads a ton of images with generic keywords that don't  apply to all of the photos.  So, for example, you are looking for a named individual,  and that person does not appear on half the shots with that keyword.  Not all are guilty of course. 

Then there is that infuriating characteristic of AIM, which I am sure leads to many false positives.

Just checked I have 1835 people results, probably some more that should be so tagged.

I always do my best to complete the number of people box in AIM. No doubt I miss a few, though. Shall have to be more diligent about including "people" and/or "person" in my keywords. How about "vertical" and "horizontal"? Are you including either or both of those terms in your tags?

10 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I always do my best to complete the number of people box in AIM. No doubt I miss a few, though. Shall have to be more diligent about including "people" and/or "person" in my keywords. How about "vertical" and "horizontal"? Are you including either or both of those terms in your tags?

I don't use vertical or horizontal, but, maybe I am losing sales as a result! 

I recently discovered that the word "in" has to be a keyword if searched for. I now try to include it either in the caption or keywords where it might possibly be used.

1 hour ago, kay said:

cross referencing ‘exclusive’ v ‘non-exclusive’ 

Should be easy to do now that you can click them in attributes.

Allan

I enjoy posts like this, usually started by others. They make us put our thinking caps on and help us maximize chances for sales, by pointing out areas some of us just haven’t thought about.  I’ve gone through my images and added a few tags I never considered because of those posts.

This one, I started more or less to make contributors aware whether or not they were shooting only “things” and rarely including people. The side benefit morphed into tag inclusions. Grrreattt!

Betty

On 07/02/2019 at 18:41, Betty LaRue said:

1131. Using a simple search “person”, I have 1131 images with that tag. 

How many do you have? Nice to give one an idea whether one should concentrate on including more people in one’s shoots.  Or not.

Betty

1285 with the tag.

In my case, I don't see more sales with people in them than without.

I'm sure if I had released photos, that would be different, that's really what buyers want.

17 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

1285 with the tag.

In my case, I don't see more sales with people in them than without.

I'm sure if I had released photos, that would be different, that's really what buyers want.

Alamy is more of an editorial site. I do have some released people images, but I can’t say that they have been hot sellers. I think most of those sales were editorial where having a release didn’t matter. I can’t remember any that licensed for advertising. When I realized that, I quit getting releases. Hassle-free!

Of course, one big released license could change my mind!

Betty

Archived