Model release necessary for gloved hand?

11 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

I was unsure if a gloved hand counted as a person – when you can't actually see the person.

Its a good point but I would yes there is a person in the image

Kumar

This illustrates perfectly why the way that Alamy implement their 'number of people in the image' is frustrating, for us and surely fo the client as well. We need to answer two questions instead of one. We need to answer' how many people are the subject of the image' and how many people in total in the image'. So for the bird shot above the answer is zero and one respectively. Same goes for city or street type images. A photo of my wife reading a guidebook may have many people in the background, but its a photo of one person. Surely if the client is looking for an image of one person reading a guidebook, they will miss out lots if all the images are labelled as 5+ due to people in the background. 

I would think that the image may provide an interesting challenge regards releases - where is the evidence that the hand belongs to a human at all and is not just a mannequin?  Of course, IF it was a mannequin it would not need a property release because of no way of ascertaining brand or make.

Alamy's price calculator currently offers a wide range of licence types (including commercial), even for RM images which have been marked as containing people or property and which don't have releases for either. However, ticking "Editorial only" prevents buyers being offered commercial use licences.

Selecting RM alone, for images with unreleased people or property, doesn't seem to apply any specific editorial / commercial use restrictions (or have I missed something). There is however a useful clause (8.3) that appears in both Alamy's RM and RF licence terms that requires the buyer of any image to ensure they obtain suitable releases for their intended use.

8.3 You must satisfy yourself that all Releases as may be required for Reproduction of the Image(s) have been secured. You are solely responsible for obtaining all such Releases and the Licence is conditional in each case on your obtaining them. If you are unsure as to whether any Releases are needed for your Image usage, then it is your responsibility to consult with relevant parties. You shall not rely upon any representation or warranty given by Alamy employees or representatives save as set out in this Agreement.

Given this clause, shouldn't Alamy revise the wording of statements like this that appear in their help pages for buyers. For example https://www.alamy.com/help/default.asp  

RF stands for royalty-free – This is the most flexible option and the most straight forward. You pay a one–off fee to use the image with no restrictions on how you use image, how many times you use it or how long you use it for. You can use the image across multiple projects, forever. There are some restrictions on image use for * reselling’

"no restrictions" on how you use the image? Seems at odds with clause 8.3 in the RF licence.

Is selecting RM as a way of providing protection against potential infringement of property or privacy rights still sensible or sufficient? If additional protection is wanted, I'd tick editorial only.

All that being said, for the image in question, I'd indicate Property - Yes, People - 1, Releases - None, Licence type RM and wouldn't bother with Editorial only.

Did I just contradict myself :unsure: :unsure:

Mark

10 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

All that being said, for the image in question, I'd indicate Property - Yes, People - 1, Releases - None, Licence type RM and wouldn't bother with Editorial only.

Did I just contradict myself :unsure: :unsure:

What would the property be? (The bird didn't belong to anyone.)

8 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

I'm pretty sure that the bird would agree with you. If it were perched on a branch instead of a glove, then I certainly wouldn't say there was property in the image. It's all very silly, of course. I'd probably just indicate that there is one person in this image and not select anything for the property option, after all it is optional.

26 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

If the bird is wild, and the glove can't be identified, I agree - Property No

I thought I could perhaps see a ring on the birds' leg, not that this makes it owned by anyone, but if it was it could perhaps be identified, so I was being cautious.

Mark

For other agencies the answer might be more complicated (e.g. is the person recognizable or is the person the subject of the photo) but for me on Alamy I would indicate:

number of people = 1 since there is 1 person or part of a person in the photo, as per Alamy's guidelines.  I as the photographer would know that it is a person, so would not consider that someone else could say it was a mannequin.  The key would be to protect the buyer from someone who could say it was their hand if the image appeared commercially (admittedly, perhaps very low risk in this case.)

As far as a property release, I don't see any identifiable property or intellectual property (logos) in this photo, so would say no PR needed.

Clarence

23 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I thought I could perhaps see a ring on the birds' leg, not that this makes it owned by anyone, but if it was it could perhaps be identified, so I was being cautious.

Mark

I have it in writing from the BTO that in the UK no release is needed for a ring on a wild bird. Of course, that may not apply to Japan or any other country.

27 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

Well-spotted. It could well be a ring. Best to err on the side of caution then.

30 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Good point. It didn't have a ring on its leg, though, so I assume a property release would be unnecessary.

On 12/11/2018 at 16:27, Colin Woods said:

Not here no. The glove and coat are not recognisable with a brand name so no PR needed. Just an MR for the hand if selling RF.

Why would you need a model release if the hand can't be identified?...all very confusing!

If the bird is wild and has a ring on it's leg it is not anyones property. It just means someone (RSPB) has ringed it for research purposes.

Allan

1 hour ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

To avoid any claims from the person to whom the hand belongs, I imagine – ?

For some reason, this thread reminds of a quote from the infamous O.J. Simpson trial:

"If it [the glove] doesn't fit, you must acquit."

:D

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

If the bird is wild and has a ring on it's leg it is not anyones property. It just means someone (RSPB) has ringed it for research purposes.

Allan

1. Unless it's an escaped cage bird, which happens quite a bit.

2. Not RSPB (in the UK), it's the BTO who licence bird ringing.

Archived