Favourite photos in October '18

Robert Convery

3 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I love those sorts of gardens that look accidental though I'm sure they take a lot of work. Nice to think of taking that walk.

The Garden House was one of the pioneers of naturalistic drift planting, Paulette.  And that's only a small part of the whole garden.  Lots for me to photograph throughout the year.  Next week our Acer glade (lots of Japanese maples) will be in full autumn colour - reds, oranges, yellows - it's quite spectacular.

34 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

I notice many of the props in your photos are of alcoholic beverages.

I guess that's a fine excuse to go for a drink ! :D

Yes, food and drink is a good 15% of my port. They're reasonable sellers on the whole. Not always enough to pay for the evening, but usually at least for the drink.

I'd have drunk them anyway, so....

49 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Yes, food and drink is a good 15% of my port. They're reasonable sellers on the whole. Not always enough to pay for the evening, but usually at least for the drink.

I'd have drunk them anyway, so....

HHhmmmm.  Now that does sound like an avenue worth exploring lol.

I don't know what you see, but I see a look of terror. He's not carrying a weapon and appears to be no threat to the officers at that point.

What happened before and after?

Additionally, putting "right-wing" in the caption- isn't there something about impartiality in the various guidelines?

5 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

What happened before and after?

They attacked and broke through the hugely outnumbered police line. You have to ask what they thought the consequences of such action would be.

2 hours ago, Avpics said:

They attacked and broke through the hugely outnumbered police line. You have to ask what they thought the consequences of such action would be.

Unfortunately, I have personal experience of peaceful non-violent protest that has drawn an excessively violent response from British police - it cannot now be assumed that a British police officer showing the upper hand in a violent confrontation is necessarily justified.

2 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Unfortunately, I have personal experience of peaceful non-violent protest that has drawn an excessively violent response from British police - it cannot now be assumed that a British police officer showing the upper hand in a violent confrontation is necessarily justified.

So you say, but the example in question was not a "peaceful and non-violent protest" as the photographs leading up to it, and the news reports, clearly show.

I've got news for you -DFLA are not the Women's Institute.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:24, Avpics said:

I'm not sure whether it's acceptable to pick sides in such a situation, but I have to say that the look on the guy's face gets no sympathy from me.

westminster-london-uk-13th-october-2018-the-right-wing-dfla-are-marching-towards-parliament-in-protest-against-returning-jihadists-treatment-of-veterans-migrants-rape-gangs-and-groomers-weak-sentencing-knife-crime-police-cuts-political-cover-ups-and-terrorism-regarded-as-racist-by-other-groups-such-as-stand-up-to-racism-an-opposition-march-has-been-organised-beginning-in-portland-place-to-also-head-towards-parliament-scuffles-with-police-took-place-credit-avpics-alamy-live-news-PW64PY.jpg

Excellent capture of the moment.

I have a question. Would you consider a tighter crop in these situations? Do you think it would have more value than a wider angle?

9 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Excellent capture of the moment.

I have a question. Would you consider a tighter crop in these situations? Do you think it would have more value than a wider angle?

Yes, and I've uploaded one for stock. This image was part of a Live News batch from the day uploaded in a rush with minimal editing, and the frustrations of trying to find a signal and a safe area to work. I had to abandon one upload when fighting broke out close by.

Archived