Another low point?

Three sales dropped in yesterday

Usage: NU Editorial website and app multiple use, Editorial website and app multiple use
Media: Editorial website and app multiple use
Industry sector: Travel & tourism
Image Size: Any size
Start: 19 September 2018
Duration: In perpetuity

I dare not say for how much, but, despite any size, multiple use and  in perpetuity,  not enough for a cuppa! 

23 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Usage: NU Editorial website and app multiple use, Editorial website and app multiple use

I dare not say for how much, but, despite any size, multiple use and  in perpetuity,  not enough for a cuppa! 

I also had one of those yesterday and that's the 2nd this month.  Even the gross amount won't buy a cuppa in a transport cafe!!!  It's not what I understood NU to be about and I will be pulling out at the earliest opportunity.  I feel I'm being robbed with sales like this.

Pearl

1 hour ago, Pearl said:

I also had one of those yesterday and that's the 2nd this month.  Even the gross amount won't buy a cuppa in a transport cafe!!!  It's not what I understood NU to be about and I will be pulling out at the earliest opportunity.  I feel I'm being robbed with sales like this.

Pearl

Uhm, may well be doing the same, another one appeared this morning!

2 hours ago, Pearl said:

Pearl

25 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Uhm, may well be doing the same, another one appeared this morning!

I had one too but I'm not in NU. We can go for a cuppa together. Pulling out of NU won't make a difference unfortunately.

Usage: Commercial electronic
Media: Website, app and social media
Industry sector: Entertainment & Leisure
Start: 18 September 2018
End: 18 September 2023
Single placement and design, duration in perpetuity.

3 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

I had one too but I'm not in NU. We can go for a cuppa together. Pulling out of NU won't make a difference unfortunately.

Usage: Commercial electronic
Media: Website, app and social media
Industry sector: Entertainment & Leisure
Start: 18 September 2018
End: 18 September 2023
Single placement and design, duration in perpetuity.

But yours doesn't say it is NU wheres ours does.  It results from a LU search which supposedly means Limited Use.

Pearl

52 minutes ago, Pearl said:

But yours doesn't say it is NU wheres ours does.  It results from a LU search which supposedly means Limited Use.

Pearl

It can't say NU because I'm not in NU but the licence is "in perpetuity" and fee charged I'd bet is the same. So it doesn't matter whether you're in NU or not, pictures will get sold at a price consistent with its intended use. You can't get higher fees by allowing NU limited or not and I can't get higher fees by blocking them. 

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

I had one of this a couple of weeks ago. Are your images used here by chance? https://theculturetrip.com/

41 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

Prices continue to be driven ever lower, by photographers on a public Alamy forum complaining about low Alamy prices. We have seen the enemy and it is us.

Sorry I don't agree but you're not alone in thinking this. 

4 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Prices continue to be driven ever lower, by photographers on a public Alamy forum complaining about low Alamy prices. We have seen the enemy and it is us.

If Alamy had any inkling that this was so, they'd surely make the forums members only, or at least have a members only section for sales.

I seem to recall Alamy ( I think) once saying that it was useful to have contributors expressing disgruntlement over low prices. I don't mention actual amounts these days, but there comes a time when you need to let your feelings be known.

35 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I seem to recall Alamy ( I think) once saying that it was useful to have contributors expressing disgruntlement over low prices. I don't mention actual amounts these days, but there comes a time when you need to let your feelings be known.

I too no longer quote exact figures. What is most disconcerting about electronic use sales these days is that the more rights granted, the lower the price. At least it often seems that way since the download price for website and other electronic use (blogs, apps, social media) for five years still appears to be $49.99, which seems fair.  However, "in perpetuity" electronic licenses often go for a small fraction of that.

A sign of the competitive times I guess... 

14 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Nah  there is no reason (other than greed) why Alamy cannot say NO or set minimum prices. Same with bulk sales the only Alamy and the customer benefit. 

Regen

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Alamy feel forced lower and lower because that is what Getty are doing and Getty are forced ever lower because that is what Shutterstock is doing.

Its about competition for market share. Not sure that Alamy can just ignore this.

On the other hand, the micros demand payment in advance, and Alamy payments can be months behind sale and use, and that should be worth something.

But in general, yes, prices are being forced down. I blame SS most, because they failed to start raising prices when G/iS did.

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Will not ever contribute to Shutterstock.

I gave it a try a few months ago, not knowing what to expect. From 10 downloads so far I've made $5,76. I'm considering deleting my account. My experience with iSt and Adobe is about the same.

From what I could see Alamy is becoming more and more traditional microstock agency like Shutterstock etc. Lots of below than mediocre images and dramatically dropped prices. Also had a few THESE sales:

Previously the same images were sold here for much-much better prices.

19 minutes ago, Ilya Genkin said:

From what I could see Alamy is becoming more and more traditional microstock agency like Shutterstock etc. Lots of below than mediocre images and dramatically dropped prices. Also had a few THESE sales:

I've actually had some pretty good $$ sales this month, including one for $$$. Only one low $ direct sale. I checked out of NU long ago.

1 hour ago, Ilya Genkin said:

Why are you complaining if you're in the NU scheme? NU has always paid peanuts since inception many moons ago. I never joined the  scheme for that reason. You can opt out.

And yes, prices are going down, like at any other agency. Market forces. Having said that, I've also had good sales recently here.

5 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Why are you complaining if you're in the NU scheme? NU has always paid peanuts since inception many moons ago. I never joined the  scheme for that reason. You can opt out.

And yes, prices are going down, like at any other agency. Market forces. Having said that, I've also had good sales recently here.

I do have very good sales as well here. Hence I'm still here, but quite a lot of recent very low sales are raising more and more questions. I'm 100% sure people out there are abusing the system and buying high-res images for 'presentations'. Why you need to pay $$$ if you can get the same for $20?

Certainly need to opt out from NU. Is that the 'Novel use', am I correct? Unfortunately it's grayed out for me right now. Need to wait another half a year.

Worth opting out from any other scheme? e.g. 'Distribution', 'UK newspaper scheme' or 'Image options'.

19 minutes ago, Ilya Genkin said:

Worth opting out from any other scheme? e.g. 'Distribution', 'UK newspaper scheme' or 'Image options'.

I guess it's a personal thing. I would be tossing out at least 20% of my income if I opted out of distribution. The additional sales also help maintain a good ranking, which is super important. Distributor prices are often no worse and even better than direct ones. I'm in the UK newspaper scheme as well despite the low prices. However, being based in Canada, I see very few UK newspaper sales, so it hasn't made much difference one way or the other. I don't see any point in opting out of "image options" either. I feel that I need all the selling options I can get these days.

17 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I guess it's a personal thing. I would be tossing out at least 20% of my income if I opted out of distribution. The additional sales also help maintain a good ranking, which is super important. Distributor prices are often no worse and even better than direct ones. I'm in the UK newspaper scheme as well despite the low prices. However, being based in Canada, I see very few UK newspaper sales, so it hasn't made much difference one way or the other. I don't see any point in opting out of "image options" either. I feel that I need all the selling options I can get these days.

I've just run the numbers too, and distro only takes my net for this year down to 44%. My arithmetic is pretty bad but I think this means that (6*(10/3)% or 20% of my income is distro as well.

Ditto for ranking, mine's now good enough for me to consider uploading images for very popular subjects.

Archived