Alamy Distributor putting my images on Alamy

I just saw that one of Alamy's distributors, Foto Arena (Brazil) has my Alamy images on their site - which is as expected. But they have also put at least one of my images onto Alamy in direct competition with me. Surely that is not correct. My image is JHWAJ0 and they have placed it on as P3WBF8.

I'll write to CR to see what's going on! Meanwhile, you might like to check to see if this happening with your images too.

Good find. Should be a severe breach of contract. Hopefully a strong reaction. A search of Denmark and the distributor's name as contributor brought up a number of images but none of mine. Cannot judge if these are okay.

deleted - I thought I had found one of Philippe's / Arterra's images - but it seems slightly different. So won't publish.

But have a look yourself - only two pages in total to go through if you search on the contributor's name only.

59 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

deleted - I thought I had found one of Philippe's / Arterra's images - but it seems slightly different. So won't publish.

But have a look yourself - only two pages in total to go through if you search on the contributor's name only.

Similarly, a search for Scotland and this contributor brings up a page of images that are completely unlike their usual submissions, which are almost entirely football related. Searching for a few of the Scotland images using Google them up under different names on other stock websites, a couple of them by a photographer called Nick Fox. Seems a bit strange. 

Hmmm, a search for 'UK' and then narrowed to contributor brought up 5 pages. Clicking to get the enlargement and then scrolling down to similar images, nearly every one has a duplicate from several different contributors.

There is something very strange goin

1 hour ago, BobD said:

Hmmm, a search for 'UK' and then narrowed to contributor brought up 5 pages. Clicking to get the enlargement and then scrolling down to similar images, nearly every one has a duplicate from several different contributors.

There is something very strange going on. As above, search UK, then advanced search Foto Arena contributor. One of the images is 

mudflats-at-sand-bay-weston-super-mare-s

If you then search for mudflats at Weston Super Mare you get the same image by contributor James Osmond. So, why the duplicates? Has he sold his images to Foto Arena?

4 hours ago, Sally said:

There is something very strange goin

There is something very strange going on. As above, search UK, then advanced search Foto Arena contributor. One of the images is 

If you then search for mudflats at Weston Super Mare you get the same image by contributor James Osmond. So, why the duplicates? Has he sold his images to Foto Arena?

Exactly what has happened with my image. And I see that the Foto Arena Image number starts with P3 - just the same as mine. I'm waiting on a reply from CR and will post what is being done about this.

Seems to be a recent upload (image refs starting P3....), so try an advanced search for

Contributor: Foto Arena LTDA

Search words: P3???? UK

or use a keyword of your choice e.g.

Contributor: Foto Arena LTDA

Search words: P3???? Fish

I haven't spotted any of mine

Mark

8 hours ago, cbimages said:

Exactly what has happened with my image. And I see that the Foto Arena Image number starts with P3 - just the same as mine. I'm waiting on a reply from CR and will post what is being done about this.

It will be interesting to see what they say. I did another search for Edinburgh, and came up with two images. What these seem to have in common is that they are duplicates of old images. 

Foto Arena

red-fox-vulpes-vulpes-corstorphine-edinb

Redmond Durrell

red-fox-vulpes-vulpes-corstorphine-edinb

Foto Arena

the-edinburgh-skyline-with-the-edinburgh

John Kellerman

the-edinburgh-skyline-with-the-edinburgh

No wonder Alamy is getting a high number of images on file with all these possible duplicates coming through.

Allan

Back when I was actively operating as a small agency, I had one excellent contributor who put her images through a large number of international agencies. Pretty well the same collection. Many of them distributed their images through Alamy as well as their own operations. At that point she had seven duplicates of every one of her images on Alamy. I withdrew all of her images from my portfolio as she requested but I'm not sure every agency did. Her captions were pretty good but I did the keywording on Alamy so I wasn't hugely pleased. She then put her images on Alamy herself, fair enough.

I heard back from CR. Who told me 

"We're checking with Foto Arena, but assume there has been some technical error at their end. We'll let you know when we hear back from them."

So I'll update this thread when I learn more.

13 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

Back when I was actively operating as a small agency, I had one excellent contributor who put her images through a large number of international agencies. Pretty well the same collection. Many of them distributed their images through Alamy as well as their own operations. At that point she had seven duplicates of every one of her images on Alamy. I withdrew all of her images from my portfolio as she requested but I'm not sure every agency did. Her captions were pretty good but I did the keywording on Alamy so I wasn't hugely pleased. She then put her images on Alamy herself, fair enough.

Robert, this is certainly not the case with me. I've never dealt with Foto Arena.

7 hours ago, cbimages said:

I heard back from CR. Who told me 

"We're checking with Foto Arena, but assume there has been some technical error at their end. We'll let you know when we hear back from them."

Technical error? Hmmm.... If so, it would appear to involve at least dozens of images. 

This begs the question as to how do the genuine copyright holders know that no sales have been made?

It would be expedient of Alamy to remove all Photo Arena images until the technical issue is resolved.

I can not offer any suggestions how this particular duplication happened to cbimages but there are certainly people in this business who play fast and loose with copyright and distribution. Sometimes with dubious intent, often because "interns" are turned loose with little knowledge of copyright publishing or the stock business. Years ago, the staff at agencies and publishers pretty well knew what they were doing, most were honest but some were prepared to sail very close to the wind. These days, there is little chance you will ever come face-to-face with clients or image users. Begs the question; how do you get real understanding these days?

Interestingly, none of the images that were previously showing up in a search for all general UK/Scotland/Edinburgh images under this contributor's name are now showing up in search results.  

Hi I've found differents duplicates in just one search key,

try to search: Botanical Garden soller 

C15TB9  imageBROKER
GDBWB1  Arco Images GmbH
BWPMBN  Prisma by Dukas Presseagentur GmbH

GDER3D   Arco Images GmbH
CPHF75   Prisma by Dukas Presseagentur GmbH

I would like to undestand it.

I've had a reply from CR Shelley.

"This issue was down to human error but we've now got all duplicate images deleted and they'll be off the live site within 24 hours. None of these images sold but we apologise for the inconvenience."

My duplicate is gone, thankfully. 

There are 2 things that concern me.

1. How long this would have gone on, if I hadn't found the problem.

2. Has Foto Arena sent these photos to any other agent/library etc. Did they just send the whole batch all over the place to wherever else they distribute "their" photos??

Archived