Keywords, my big problem

I know that the "right" keywords are almost as important as the photo.

Therefore from me as newbie a few questions to the experienced contributer:

Does it make sense to use the 50 KW as much as possible, even if some very general terms are used? Or is less more?

Should the singular as well as the plural be used for nouns or is the singular sufficient?

For compound terms, e.g. "aerial view", you should use 2 separate single words or the compound word or both?

Sorry, I know a lot of questions, but I hope someone answers anyway and thanks in advance.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Yes, use plurals as well as singular, and synonyms.  If you have a phrase, you don't need to repeat the individual words. Also use US spellings and variations on words.

Think about words as a computer would.  It is going to search for horse, not horses, if that is what the customer puts in, as an example.

2 hours ago, spiegel said:

I know that the "right" keywords are almost as important as the photo.

Therefore from me as newbie a few questions to the experienced contributer:

Does it make sense to use the 50 KW as much as possible, even if some very general terms are used? Or is less more?

Should the singular as well as the plural be used for nouns or is the singular sufficient?

For compound terms, e.g. "aerial view", you should use 2 separate single words or the compound word or both?

Sorry, I know a lot of questions, but I hope someone answers anyway and thanks in advance.

There is absolutely no point in using more keywords than are necessary, if it's five or ten, stop there. But don't omit important keywords either.

Yes, "ariel view" should be keyworded as a phrase.

Don't feel compelled to use all 50 tags, but do rigorously provide all relevant permutations. Don't skimp on the location, minimum of town, county or state, country. Occasionally however the location is irrelevant and would only bring unwanted views, degrading your CTR.

Received wisdom appears to suggest that the Caption is at least as important as the tags, so think carefully about your wording. Having said that I have seen photos used in the papers where there has been no caption at all!

Once you start seeing lots of views look carefully at the search terms, and ask yourself if you have covered all bases with all of your photos. There's rarely a day goes by when I don't add to or fine tune keywords as a result of a customer's search.  It's a never ending process......

Frank, I can't tell you what you should do, but here's what I do:

I have not one image at Alamy that has 50 tags. All my images are RM. I write full captions, witch includes the full location, if that's relative. I try to include common misspellings. I caption in English only, except for proper nouns, where I might include the overseas name. Any flora and fauna gets the Latin name.

Listen to Bryan. He seems to know what he's doing . . . except when he bought that hat. 

Edo 

Wow, those were really clever, helpful and valuable answers.
Thank you all very much.

The "green bar" that I have always tried to reach is therefore not really important. And it was not clear to me that it was possible to make adjustments time and again, even after the event. 

I will make an effort to consider everything with new photos and must probably reconsider the old submissions. 

Great forum here, really nice forists and good advice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 07:02, spiegel said:

Thanks, Frank, I'm a moderately heavy user of online translation and deepl.com is the best one I've seen by a fair margin.

15 minutes ago, Barking said:

What's the point of the green bar then?

As far as I can see, none whatsoever. It is a piece of web development frippery which serves no apparent useful purpose and tends to mislead the unwary contributor into thinking that more is always better. Beware the green discoverability bar! 

7 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

As far as I can see, none whatsoever. It is a piece of web development frippery which serves no apparent useful purpose and tends to mislead the unwary contributor into thinking that more is always better. Beware the green discoverability bar! 

That's really confusing and hard for a newbie to understand. 
If the experienced users don't play a game with the newbies it means that Alamy misleads us with the green bar.  

Somehow this bar looks so helpful and comprehensible. I'm reluctant to ignore it. Difficult, difficult. 

By and large the contributors here do not go out of their way to mislead new contributors - this is probably the most genuinely helpful and civilised forum anywhere.  Keywording and the green discoverability bar have been discussed at length in many forum threads over the last year or so. If you want to gather more information to help you make up your mind you will find much food for thought by browsing older forum threads. 

6 hours ago, spiegel said:

That's really confusing and hard for a newbie to understand. 
If the experienced users don't play a game with the newbies it means that Alamy misleads us with the green bar.  

Somehow this bar looks so helpful and comprehensible. I'm reluctant to ignore it. Difficult, difficult. 

By all means, if you think you have 50 keywords that truly fit your photo use them. I mostly shoot wildlife and there are always lots of words I have to leave out because there is no more room. When I shoot a building I run out of ideas very quickly. I think Alamy wants us to be as complete as possible but you really hurt yourself if you add a keyword that brings up inappropriate views. I'm always checking Alamy Measures and will go back and take something out if it isn't working for me.

Paulette

56 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I'm always checking Alamy Measures and will go back and take something out if it isn't working for me.

To be honest, this "Alamy Measures" still causes me problems of understanding.

I'll have to deal with it a little more. 

Archived