Taking shots of a BBC film production.

54 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

For two days they are on the feed, thereafter they go to regular stock. Otherwise buyers could maybe get them cheaper.

BTW they tweeted one of your images... a rare honour only bequeathed on the most worthy.

Hi, can you please tell me who has tweeted as I can't find anything. Thanks.

2 hours ago, skylineboy said:

doesnt the same also apply for people such as police / fire etc, in the course of their normal business, as long as they are public location too?

ive read some horror stories about the terrorism act being used by police with some friends of mine, i stand on the, no they are wrong if its in public its fair game side of the coin. they have been subdued though, through fear of prosecution.

If you're on a public right of way - such as a public pavement, footpath or public highway - you're free to take photographs for personal and commercial use so long as you're not causing an obstruction to other users or falling foul of anti-Terrorism laws or even the Official Secrets Act.  Professional photography is banned in London's Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square as well as the Royal Parks.

Of course what is not clear  is what can be interpreted as an anti-terrorism act? 

2 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

I have  found problems with photographing TV filming.  On one occasion a few months ago they sent a runner to stand in front of me so I could not get shots and it became a rather amusing cat and mouse game as to who could move faster......  

That's just ridiculous - some people!  What's so precious about TV filming that they have to stop pics being taken?  Unbelievable!

In terms of the police the College of Policing includes this in their guidance:

Reporting from a scene

Reporting or filming from the scene of an incident is part of the media’s role and they should not be prevented from doing so from a public place. Police have no power or moral responsibility to stop the filming or photographing of incidents or police personnel. It is for the media to determine what is published or broadcast, not the police. Once an image has been recorded, the police have no power to seize equipment, or delete or confiscate images or footage without a court order.

Where police have designated a cordoned area, the media must respect it in the same way as the public, unless a media facility within a cordoned area has been authorised by police. The best possible vantage point for media should be considered, providing it does not compromise operational needs.

I have only once been threatened under the Prevention of Terrorism Act for taking photographs (of David Cameron)  and that was years ago.  I made a complaint and got a sort of apology from a senior officer ("I would not have dealt with the situation in the way the officer did had I been at that scene")

2 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

In terms of the police the College of Policing includes this in their guidance:

Reporting from a scene

Reporting or filming from the scene of an incident is part of the media’s role and they should not be prevented from doing so from a public place. Police have no power or moral responsibility to stop the filming or photographing of incidents or police personnel. It is for the media to determine what is published or broadcast, not the police. Once an image has been recorded, the police have no power to seize equipment, or delete or confiscate images or footage without a court order.

Where police have designated a cordoned area, the media must respect it in the same way as the public, unless a media facility within a cordoned area has been authorised by police. The best possible vantage point for media should be considered, providing it does not compromise operational needs.

I have only once been threatened under the Prevention of Terrorism Act for taking photographs (of David Cameron)  and that was years ago.  I made a complaint and got a sort of apology from a senior officer ("I would not have dealt with the situation in the way the officer did had I been at that scene")

I was pulled in Euston station a few weeks ago for taking shots  inside the terminal. The guy was very polite and decent but even though I stopped at his request I still submitted the video footage to the agency I had already shot.

15 minutes ago, phomme said:

If you're on a public right of way - such as a public pavement, footpath or public highway - you're free to take photographs for personal and commercial use so long as you're not causing an obstruction to other users or falling foul of anti-Terrorism laws or even the Official Secrets Act.  Professional photography is banned in London's Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square as well as the Royal Parks.

Of course what is not clear  is what can be interpreted as an anti-terrorism act? 

Sorry to make several contributions on this topic - but it is one I am frequently involved in.    I take news photos in Trafalgar Square occasionally and in Parliament  Square at least weekly.  The powers to stop this are in statute but I have not seen them used.  The Royal Parks are a bit different.  I have taken news photos in Royal Parks but I am aware that some photographers have been stopped by Parks Police.  An interesting area is the rear of Downing Street which is technically in a Royal Park and some of my Downing Street photographer colleagues have been stopped taking photos  and some have got the very expensive Royal Parks Photographic permit to allow them to do this.   

Quick question. I have street scenes of the same production with props, fake debris, carriage,  etc but no people. Can I submit this as standard as nothing that really identifies the BBC ? Of course I can tag War Of The Worlds but will that have to be editorial ?

9 hours ago, Marb said:

but as soon as I get my slr out, especially with a large lense I get snotty questions from producers and the like.

If you are working with an SLR on a live set, it is recomeded you encase your camera in a sound blimp, switch to a mirrorless camera on silent mode, or wait to take pictures between takes. You would not believe how sensitive directors and sound crew are to that click, click, click,.... how far that sound travels, and how much work it takes in post to remove it.  

I did an event shoot of a cycle sportive, paid for by a company that sells the images back to the riders. The same event was being used by a TV company to film some of the footage for Tour de Celeb, a rather down market reality TV production. I was told by my client that the TV company had said under no circumstances was I to photograph any of the "Celebs". (Yeh right) well my client (who is a photographer)  wasn't too impressed with that and said I could do what I want of course on a public road.

The same TV company asked if I would go to the start and get some stills of the "celebs" as they got ready for the ride. I told them my fee which was actually very reasonable and never heard from them again. I targeted the "celebs" and they went on sale here. They never did sell though haha

2 hours ago, Marb said:

Quick question. I have street scenes of the same production with props, fake debris, carriage,  etc but no people. Can I submit this as standard as nothing that really identifies the BBC ? Of course I can tag War Of The Worlds but will that have to be editorial ?

You can submit all of it, with/without people etc but just make sure to add that you don't have releases. It's all fine for editorial use

On 10/04/2018 at 21:33, Avpics said:

You can submit all of it, with/without people etc but just make sure to add that you don't have releases. It's all fine for editorial use

Considering the recent press release and buzz about the series, the Alamy tweet, it’s dissapointing to have had no sales from these images.

3 minutes ago, Marb said:

Considering the recent press release and buzz about the series, the Alamy tweet, it’s dissapointing to have had no sales from these images.

Have you checked or just looked at your sales report?

Newspaper sales, including live news, can take a while to be reported.

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Have you checked or just looked at your sales report?

Newspaper sales, including live news, can take a while to be reported.

wim

I have checked my sales report as nowhere else that would indicate sales. Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Marb said:

I have checked my sales report. Thanks.

What Wim means is have you checked the online papers? Even if the shots were used immediately , they wouldn't be showing  in your sales report for several weeks....

km

1 minute ago, RedSnapper said:

What Wim means is have you checked the online papers? Even if the shots were used immediately , they wouldn't be showing  in your sales report for several weeks....

km

I haven't except google images which show nothing.

Go to the papers websites and search....Google takes a while to index new content....

Any named actors? any particualar 'hook' to the story? why would the papers want to run the story?  There's more to getting work used than just making the images

km

1 minute ago, RedSnapper said:

Go to the papers websites and search....Google takes a while to index new content....

Any named actors? any particualar 'hook' to the story? why would the papers want to run the story?  There's more to getting work used than just making the images

km

I have found the Mail online have printed some from the same location yesterday taken by someone else, poor phone quality.

6 minutes ago, Marb said:

I have found the Mail online have printed some from the same location yesterday taken by someone else, poor phone quality.

but  with actors that the public know......that's the story.....not just a bunch of extras in costume

Content trumps quality every day

km

2 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

but  with actors that the public know......that's the story.....not just a bunch of extras in costume

Content trumps quality every day

km

Yes, shots with the main actors are up. Can't you see them ?

I have some decent HD video footage of some action. Would alamy take a screen shot as an image ?

8 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

2 shots? Not as close or as dramatic as the ones running in MoL.....

You'll have to do better next time

Some days you eat the bear; some days the bear eats you

km

I disagree. Perhaps pixel images are good for tabloids but there is room for all types. I think I got Rafe in context of the scene. If the extras shots were not newsworthy,  why would Alamy tweet any ? 

Archived