Taking shots of a BBC film production.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

So Marb's HD frame grab would just have squeaked in as news.

My point exactly which is why I was trying to pursue it. I have a decent action shot from a screen grab.

4 minutes ago, Marb said:

My point exactly which is why I was trying to pursue it. I have a decent action shot from a screen grab.

If you had submitted it within 48 hours it should not have been rejected for size. I think by the time you started discussing the frame grab the deadline had passed.

Hope you read my post about file v. document size.

I am involved in filming, used to be a camera operator / focus puller now a prop man, productions don't like it as it could give a story line away or other info about the film, we are not allowed to post anything on any social media site, and taking pics is frowned upon, on set but obviously in a public place they can't really control the setting or stop the public taking pics.

I was focus puller on Fools and Horses including the Batman and Robin episode, the production did everything to keep photographers away, late night in Bristol, artic lorries, sheets of poly, large silk screens etc covered the action as they really didn't want anyone to see the story and give it away, and they succeeded in that instance.

31 minutes ago, Kelv said:

productions don't like it as it could give a story line away or other info about the film, we are not allowed to post anything on any social media site, and taking pics is frowned upon, on set but obviously in a public place they can't really control the setting or stop the public taking pics.

Yep....

I do a lot of production stills for TV and film drama......it's a pain in the ass when closely guarded plot lines  are , perhaps completely innocently , divulged by photos taken, and then shared,  by people outside of the production cordon.....

23 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Yep....

I do a lot of production stills for TV and film drama......it's a pain in the ass when closely guarded plot lines  are , perhaps completely innocently , divulged by photos taken, and then shared,  by people outside of the production cordon.....

Must be tricky with your feet in both camps! :D

On the subject of being "bothered" by people from a production crew. Today a film crew turned up in the village with a well know sports celebrity doing a meet and greet as part of a documentary to be released later in the year. I already new when they would arrive and positioned myself on the opposite side of the street to get some shots. Sure enough as soon as my DSLR came into view a production assistant came trotting over. She asked who was i and  what was i doing and i would need the permission of the celebrity to take pictures. My reply was "as you are not a member of the law enforcement force, who i am had very little to do with you. Secondly i am stood in a public place and these images will be for editorial use only on a live news feed, and as such i don't need permission and if you have trouble digesting that call the police and we will see who is on the right side of the law as there are no tapes/barriers saying where to stand." Of trotted production assistant never to return. My advice when challenged stand your ground if you know your right. 

I have close up shots of the soldiers Royal Artillery war damaged uniform out of context from the general shots of the production. The detail does not identify War Of The Worlds or the BBC. It could be a fancy dress or other situation. The question is, can I use it as a general stock image and not editorial or is it still in the grey area of copyright ? The reason I ask is because I might submit it with no relation to the program at all.

Also, some of the extras I photographed swapped email addresses as they would like copies of images with themselves in. As they were so nice and obliging I did say I would do that.

There's no copyright as such in a costume. Design right didn't exist in 1914, and if it had it would have been Crown copyright and it is now long expired.

As you know there's no separate copyright in a photograph of a painting. Similar principle here.

There's no copyright as such in a costume. Design right didn't exist in 1914, and if it had it would have been Crown copyright and it is now long expired.

As you know there's no separate copyright in a photograph of a painting. Similar principle here.

Ok, thanks for that. 

You should still annotate as no property release though.

The licence you grant the actors should be limited- you don't want them using it in "Spotlight" or sending it to the papers. Unless you get the fee of course!. Maybe send a small size that's just suitable for a small print.

As you know there's no separate copyright in a photograph of a painting.

um, i'd not be quite so emphatic.....

Many instances exist where museums and galleries have photographed their collections, and copyright certainly exists in their images of paintings made, in some cases, hundreds of years ago...

km

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

um, i'd not be quite so emphatic.....

Many instances exist where museums and galleries have photographed their collections, and copyright certainly exists in their images of paintings made, in some cases, hundreds of years ago...

km

They may claim it but there's the question of originality which copyright requires. The CDPA is pretty clear about that. I don't know if it's been tested in the English courts but it has in the American, Bridgeman v. Corel 1999, and Bridgeman lost. Wikipedia also deny the principle.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, geogphotos said:

no overt political agenda

There may be no "agenda" but there is a distinct positioning - pro-EU, anti Brexit, pro Labour, pro any left of centre minority group, anti hunting, pro NT(boo!), and totally ignorant about farming, fishing, and real conservation.

But there's no "agenda"

10 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I think you are looking into a mirror there Russell. 

When both sides are complaining about the BBC, you know they're getting it about right.

Of course some people just don't like the truth.

Archived