Can I get your honest opinion?

My portfolio is mostly RF (about 75%).  Although some RF sales are sold under RM-type licenses with sufficient information to claim via DACS, most don't have this information.

I've always struggled with whether to make the partial claim myself, or let Alamy take their cut but hope the more thorough reporting makes up for it.

My DACS income has been declining for the last three years ($477, $389, $301) in spite of more sales added to the list each year.

Given my portfolio size and RF content, should I let Alamy claim for me?

I would love to test this for just one year, but once signed on, Alamy will not let me opt out again.  So based on your DACS experience will I do better or worse with Alamy?

Thanks

The year Alamy started offering to do the claims, it send round emails telling one how many qualifying licences one had. I got mine on 1//8/14. If you got one, you could check the numbers.

I'd already submitted and it wouldn't have been worthwhile.

Perhaps Alamy will tell you your numbers, but you'd need to be in a far higher claim category to allow for the 50% commission plus expenses.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

The year Alamy started offering to do the claims, it send round emails telling one how many qualifying licences one had. I got mine on 1//8/14. If you got one, you could check the numbers.

I'd already submitted and it wouldn't have been worthwhile.

Perhaps Alamy will tell you your numbers, but you'd need to be in a far higher claim category to allow for the 50% commission plus expenses.

Good point.  That 2014 e-mail (for the 2013 year) indicated 94 licenses were relevant for me.  My 2014 spreadsheet indicates that licenses up to 2013 totaled 77.  Seems there is a bit of a discrepancy there since in 2014 there were about 200 RF licenses I could not count (but Alamy could count at least some of these).

Are you seeing similar declining numbers Mark?

Fairly constant till last year when it dropped about 15%. But I think I've been in the same lowly payment band since 2014. Last year was the first of the publication history/photocopying records linkage, so I may have done badly on that. Too early to tell.

If you only missed out on about 20% of your licences in 2013, you'd be better off sticking to the DIY route, I think, assuming your sales split has been fairly constant. The extra wouldn't get you into a higher band.

23 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

. Last year was the first of the publication history/photocopying records linkage, so I may have done badly on that. Too early to tell.

Did you not get a breakdown with your payment notice?....it was on page 2 of the letter

km

I'm in the US and I always do it myself but I'm wondering whether DACS will still deduct taxes as they normally do if I let Alamy claim.  Anyone know?  And also, the wire transfer will be free if Alamy wires me.  Otherwise I pay $15 for wire transfer.  Just wondering if this will actually turn out to be more beneficial.

The money goes into your regular Alamy account (although they made a mistake with me last year and paid me in my Stockimo account). I get free transfers from Alamy into my JPMorganChase bank account in New York. I don't know about the taxes. I just know that I investigated when I filed myself and the process for being relieved of having to pay the taxes was onerous and expensive so I just paid. Not sure whether Alamy has to pay them. I should think not but that is just a guess. You could ask Alamy.

Paulette

On 15/01/2018 at 15:13, Allan Bell said:

Time to start your claim according to email received today.

Allan

I see it's much easier to submit your publication history claim this year. It only needs the ISSN/ISBN, publication title (which it can find for you), and number of images to be added directly into an on-line form. (Last year needed a more complex spreadsheet to be be completed).  It's a pity the "find" function only finds the publication title once you have filled in  the ISSN/ISBN number. Wouldn't it be great if it worked the other way around too.:wacko:

PS. I see the DACs site is now showing "Error" this morning due to being overloaded.:(

Mark

20 minutes ago, Jon Lewis said:

Hi Mark

How on earth do we find the ISBN number when almay won't tell us.

Regards

Jon

THat's the point. Alamy will do it for you for 50%.

You can find quite a few with the usual searches on your name or pseudo. I usually find about a third of my sales eventually. Finding books is harder but even they turn up on Google/Amazon books.

6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

That's the deal with an agent. The publishers are Alamy's customers, not ours.

I assume you've tried "pseudo" alamy -alamy.com

Thanks Mark 

I hadn't Im a photographer not a hacker.

Thanks again 

Jon

9 minutes ago, Jon Lewis said:

I'm a photographer not a hacker.

Eh?

Google search "pseudo name" alamy -alamy.com, the last bit to exclude alamy's own pages with your images. Search "all", "images"  "news"  and "more>books"

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I see it's much easier to submit your publication history claim this year. It only needs the ISSN/ISBN, publication title (which it can find for you), and number of images to be added directly into an on-line form. (Last year needed a more complex spreadsheet to be be completed).  It's a pity the "find" function only finds the publication title once you have filled in  the ISSN/ISBN number. Wouldn't it be great if it worked the other way around too.:wacko:

PS. I see the DACs site is now showing "Error" this morning due to being overloaded.:(

Mark

I did not submit any complex spreadsheet last year. Last year wasn't any different than the previous years, unless you wanted to get $ from the additional pot

1 minute ago, tarsierspectral said:

I did not submit any complex spreadsheet last year. Last year wasn't any different than the previous years, unless you wanted to get $ from the additional pot

You may have missed out then. I filled in a spreadsheet last year- this year it's an online form. The separate revenue from it was a line item on my remittance advice.

Archived