Bad Weather Pics

Steve Hyde

There are a whole bunch of weather photos in this Sun online item today....from all around the UK.

If it's a case of 'the same ones' getting their photos used all the time, the answer is because they are the ones who are shooting this stuff all of the time...

really, anyone can do this sort of imagery

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4497838/uk-weather-warm-rain-20c-sunny/

km

(nowhere near the sea)

DKGdwe_XcAAyCLx.jpg:large

AlamyNews team actively send an edited set of images out to the newspaper picture desks - almost as soon as they come in from the phtotographers....the Twitter feed is just a bit of window dressing and general marketing.....

Come on my next Alamy workshop in Cirencester next April and you'll be able to ask your questions directly to one of the news team

km

21 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

AlamyNews team actively send an edited set of images out to the newspaper picture desks - almost as soon as they come in from the phtotographers....the Twitter feed is just a bit of window dressing and general marketing.....

Come on my next Alamy workshop in Cirencester next April and you'll be able to ask your questions directly to one of the news team

km

I'm sure they do for yours, and a handful of others, a lot of them ex press-staffers  I gather(and please don't take this in the wrong way, I have enormous respect for yourself and those other togs in question), but as to the rest of us poor buggers....it's a very soul destroying exercise.

Although I do agree on the twitter feed (but then it has preciously few followers, they should work on that)

The hardest part for me is finding out about events and possible news items before they appear in online articles. Alamy have contacted me by e-mail a few times with news that they were looking for images, but in each case I was unable to help. Besides that and being lucky to stumble upon stories like hurricane Irma, which I got a sale from yesterday ($20), it seems to be preplanned (human interest) news shoots that make it online. If only I had a crystal ball or a police scanner. lol 

On 20/09/2017 at 01:17, Sultanpepa said:

How early in the day do weather news images need to be uploaded to have a good chance of being used? Could that be your problem Geoff? Are you submitting early enough? I haven't had much success either with weather images.

I've had pictures used in the Sun online that I submitted about 4.30 pm, they sometimes update the weather page as late as 7.00 pm, though not often.

3 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

My shot of the kids jumping off the jetty into the sea was made at 8.16 at night.. and was running in print the next morning...

km

They must be hardy souls down there. :) It must be freezing that water.

On 9/21/2017 at 11:02, LawrensonPhoto said:

What we need is a detailed article from Alamy outlining all that is required for shooting live news for those that are interested.

Time of day

What to shoot

How local?

What days are better, etc

From what I can see from this thread everyone seems to be muddling around in the dark, except for some.

If Alamy really does want to push Live News, I would like to see is a Free Alamy Open day (perhaps once or twice a year) where these issues could be discussed openly and for the benefit of all.

This blog is a good place to start: http://www.alamy.com/blog/live-news-tips

For any other questions you have, feel free to email news@alamy.com - they're a friendly bunch and very happy to help with any questions.

Cheers

Alamy

22 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Equinoxes are probably one of most predictable occurances one could think of.

They do come around with alarming regularity

Social media are my eyes and ears....i use my networks to keep me informed of any likely events / sitiations ..  and i use them to confirm/deny stories that i've been told about.

km

well done on getting two shows Geoff

On 9/21/2017 at 11:34, funkyworm said:

Tsja... not referring to my post but giving suspicions to boost my suspsicions.  Save your suspicions and turn down your boosters.

I am now on a trip cycling through the UK. Risk. I have had a lot less success selling through the news team than others. Risk. I sometimes have to jump through hoops to get the images to the desk. Risk. The more I know about buyer behaviour the better. Less risk. If anyone wants to share their knowledge, great. If not, dont. No traps, no need for paranoia boosts. Just a genuine question to increase mine, and maybe others, knowledge.

I unexpectedly (rain over the Downs) passed through Littlehampton on the way here and kept my eye open for yourself and I expect face to face we would have had a nice chat. I will be passing through Aberystwyth later this afternoon and will stop for some chips and will keep and eye open for Keith and I expect face to face we will have a nice chat. Forums tend to put people on their their toes... but there is not always malice intended.

Oh my goodness, you're on a bad weather image gathering trip? As if we hadn't had enough of that second hand British weather over at home, you had to look it up first hand?

I hope you can find some warm friendly forum  couches on your way.

Come on guys: volunteers please!

wim

(from a very sunny Stanford after freezing in Yosemite - not by bicycle this time but by Tahoe 2018 ;-)

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 19:06, Steve Hyde said:

I was following a thread in the another topic in the forum over the weekend. It was about getting out in the recent good weather, here in the UK, to take some stock photos. Long story short, someone mentioned it had started to rain on his 'good weather' shoot putting an end to that days fun. That was followed by a comment by someone else, that bad weather was no excuse to put the camera away. 

I whole heartedly agree agree with that. I'm not to precious over my equipment and some of my favourite photos, in my small portfolio, have been taken in some awful weather conditions. Here's an example I took of a couple on a beach at. T4 event a few summers ago. It still makes me smile and was printed in The Sun newspaper. I wondered if anyone else felt the same, with some examples of course 😊

two-people-sitting-on-a-beach-in-a-rains

That's a great image, very funny and somehow very British - the weather, the "we're going to sit on the beach regardless" attitude. :) 

Archived