Further Win 10 gripes

I've been running Win 10 for a while now, configured to look like whatever the previous version (XP?) was called.

After the initial installation I couldn't get it to update, and wasted several sessions trying to do so. It would get so far and then give up.

Well recently a Win 10 update icon has appeared upon my desktop. Last night I was feeling lucky and pressed the button. It took ages, I eventually left it running overnight. However, come dawn, the new version was installed, and my desktop look reassuringly like it always did. 

The bad news is that the computer no longer recognised either the scanner or the printer, and I had to ferret out drivers for both of them. Surely it can't be beyond the wit of Microsoft man to prevent this happening.

Rant over.

Problem is finding a new driver. I once had to basically throw away a great Hewlett-Packard printer/scanner combo because a new driver wasn't available for the update.

These companies get you there. Built-in obsolescence. Then, if you want a new machine you are familiar with, you go buy a new one. And the company gets a rash of new sales.

Betty

First I do not appreciate the " chuck out."  On another note,

I've been running PC's for decades and right now I would

like to throw them all out the widow and go Mac.  I just had

a problem with Outlook, running Win 10 64bit and all Microsoft

wanted to do was charge me $99 for a one time fix or $149 per

year for a service contract.  I called my ISP (Comcast) and a

very good tech showed me how to fix my problem, N/C.  This

is a rare moment that I say a good word about Comcast, but

Microsoft made them look good.  Bill really needs to get his

creation together.

Talking about film scanners, I keep an old Lenovo T60 running XP Pro

to connect to my Canon FS 4000

I also suffered with Outlook issues, but was lucky enough to contact a Microsoft technician who, on failing to persuade me to shell out cash, told me how to fix it.

Since Orange, may they rot in hell, decided to pull their mail servers - so trashing my long standing email address - I've been using Gmail, so don't need Outlook. Still much prefer Outlook, and I could redirect there, but not worth the hassle.

Bryan,

When my Outlook was down, three weeks, I just used web mail. It worked fine,  I would never, ever, ever, change my business email. I am looking forward

to complaining about Mac support not Microsoft's.....

The latest Win 10 update screwed my computer too. Among many problems, the worst was that PSE10 stopped working which was a serious inconvenience. I quickly reverted to the previous build and everything is fine again. However, you have to do that within 10 days of updating otherwise the option is removed.

I'll also add another vote for VueScan. Brilliant piece of software - been using it for years.

Alan

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Not too many incentives to ditch win7, then.

I much prefer 7 and had no intention of changing. Unfortunately my 7 machine died and I had to do something quickly so ended up with 10. It's a bit like the old aim which simply worked compared with the new one which is simply hard work.

24 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I generally find that any time I have a software issue, just search google, the answer is out there.  Someone, somewhere has had the same issue as well.

Jill

I finally got fed up with Microsoft forcing updates on me that often seemed to cause problems. So I bit the bullet and bought a secondhand MacBook Pro. After feeling like a "fish out of water" for a while, I've now grown to love it. It just works. The user interface is, more consistent than Windows 10, although I don't find Finder as intuitive as Windows File Explorer. But, in almost 2 years I have had NO problems whatsoever, even with major updates from Yosemite to El Capitan to Sierra. My productivity has shot up. I still run Windows, but only when I have to (using Parallels to run a copy of Windows 7 as a Virtual Machine). Mac OS seems to manage memory and tasks way more efficiently than Windows. It's got to the point I rarely bother to close anything. Battery life is superb, performance is just as quick or quicker. Windows seemed to need constant "maintenance" to keep it working properly, and periodic reinstalls.

Mark

The nice thing about Mac support on the phone is that they speak in such a soothing voice. Calms me right down. The Apple stores seem to be able to help with everything but are quite hectic. 

Paulette

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I finally got fed up with Microsoft forcing updates on me that often seemed to cause problems. So I bit the bullet and bought a secondhand MacBook Pro. After feeling like a "fish out of water" for a while, I've now grown to love it. It just works. The user interface is, more consistent than Windows 10, although I don't find Finder as intuitive as Windows File Explorer. But, in almost 2 years I have had NO problems whatsoever, even with major updates from Yosemite to El Capitan to Sierra. My productivity has shot up. I still run Windows, but only when I have to (using Parallels to run a copy of Windows 7 as a Virtual Machine). Mac OS seems to manage memory and tasks way more efficiently than Windows. It's got to the point I rarely bother to close anything. Battery life is superb, performance is just as quick or quicker. Windows seemed to need constant "maintenance" to keep it working properly, and periodic reinstalls.

Mark

Mark, I was a PC user for years. I always bought top of the line...memory, HD, etc., And I dealt with many crashes while using PS and the dreaded "safe" mode.  I went to a Mac and never looked back. Yes, it took a short bit to get used to it, but really, the learning curve was pretty easy. I never have a crash and everything just works. It's worth it to me to pay the extra cost over PCs for the peace of mind and hassle free use. Especially for me who is not known for technical ability.

My husband has memory problems so when his PC running XP failed, I bought him another running Windows 8 because PCs were what he was used to. I had not used a PC since XP, and trying to show hubby how to navigate Win 8 was about 10 X as hard as learning a Mac. I hated it, he couldn't run it, and that barely used computer was sold at a garage sale we held in April.

When I've read the many problems people have had with Win 10, the forcing of updates that won't complete, the work-arounds, it made my stomach churn because I couldn't have figured out how to do the work-arounds. 

I think I'll go hug my Mac, now.:wub:

3 hours ago, Joe Gaul said:

I much prefer 7 and had no intention of changing. Unfortunately my 7 machine died and I had to do something quickly so ended up with 10. It's a bit like the old aim which simply worked compared with the new one which is simply hard work.

Fair enough, that's the only reason I went to 7 from XP. BTW if you  ever decide to dust the heatsink on a CPU, remember to open the ZIF socket lever beforehand.:wacko:

Betty, Win8 was apparently very different from XP. I understand the differences were either abandoned or made optional for 10 so an upgrade might have saved you a few bux.

No-one gives away MACs and since that's how I've acquired most of my PCs, I'm not likely to get one.

+1 for TB. I've used it since MS stopped Hotmail working with email clients- about 12 years. The spam filter is fierce but has only ever got it wrong once or twice, and not for years.  I get precisely none these days. It pops up the occasional script error but nothing a restart won't fix.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Fair enough, that's the only reason I went to 7 from XP. BTW if you  ever decide to dust the heatsink on a CPU, remember to open the ZIF socket lever beforehand.:wacko:

Betty, Win8 was apparently very different from XP. I understand the differences were either abandoned or made optional for 10 so an upgrade might have saved you a few bux.

No-one gives away MACs and since that's how I've acquired most of my PCs, I'm not likely to get one.

I'm sure you are right about that.  But hubby has moved beyond working a computer...any computer.  And then, if I'd upgraded it to 10...lol, there I'd be trying to figure out what went wrong and having a meltdown!  Uh-uh, I have enough of those. :blink:

2 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I know how you feel. I'm just trying to avoid ending up in hospital again.

:) Geoff, I've had more meltdowns in the past year than I've had in my whole life up until the last year.  But...my uploading this week is going smooth and I actually got away for a shoot the other day.  First time in weeks, but it had to come after another meltdown. 

I need another meltdown....er, photo shoot. :D

Betty

Just by way of balance - I have four computers running Windows 10 - two desktops, a laptop and a tablet.  All but the tablet originally had Win 7 but have now been updated to 10 with all the updates.  The tablet came with 10 pre-installed.  I have two scanners (film and flatbed) plus an 'all-in-one' scanner/printer, photo printer, label printer, three monitors, graphics tablet and programmable keypad all connected to my main computer.  I've had no problems whatsoever getting them to work with Win 10, with all the updates, and I've never had to reinstall Windows on any of them.  I even fitted an SSD drive in my main computer and transferred the operating system to it without having to reinstall Windows.

Archived