Transition - from DSLR to smaller system, (Sony NEX, FUJI etc)

I am warming rapidly to my Fuji X-E1. I believe IQ is much better than my 1Ds3 in low light even if Fuji focus can be desperately slow (I have latest firmware). That said I took around 230 shots at a concert (1600 and 6400 ISO) and less than 10% had failed AF. Mind you there were a fair few more where I held off pressing the shutter as the 55-200 drifted through its focus range.

Yeah, as you say, image quality and accuracy is there they just need to speed things up. That said, for those who used manual for sport in the past it wouldn't be a problem. This guy posted a nice set of racing shots and aircraft in flight.... he's using the X-E1 as well. Practice I guess!

This thread reminds me of a few years ago, when everyone was shooting film and saying that digital wasn't quite there yet. Then the next day (so it seemed), everyone was shooting digital and not looking back.

The message is:  if you're waiting for the day when a smaller, lighter camera can rival your DSLR, that day has arrived. Pick out a model and jump in.

You can't go wrong with that, Gervais. I thought I couldn't work without a viewfinder, but after using the screen on the NEX-3 for some months I found that I could do most things with it. And the RX100 is actually a pro-level pocket camera.  :)

Good luck with it. 

Yes thanks  Ed. I pretty much made my my mind up after my usual nerdy going through just about every stat I could find. In the end, it came down to the obvious basics of picture quality, the fact that it zooms and the Fuji we have is a fixed equivalent of 35mm. And last of all, purely because it's so darn small. :)

I'm also part way through the transition. I'd been getting fed up with the weight of my Canon gear and an annoying level of shots I was rejecting due to focus not being "tack sharp". I have a Canon 550D 15-85, 10-22 and 60mm lenses. It was OK if I used slow live view contrast AF, but using phase AF was often not quite right.

Then a few weeks back I saw John Lewis was selling off some Panasonic Lumix G5 kits complete with 14-42 and 45-150 lenses at silly prices so thought I'd give one a go.

I've been stunned by the results. The contrast AF is fast, tack sharp, and 100% reliable (providing you define the focus area and don't let it pick one for itself). The kit is really light. Sure the EVF is not as good as an optical SLR finder but I can review the shots I've just taken using it whatever the ambient light level. The IQ from the lenses is pretty good too, no doubt helped by the accuracy of the AF. I upgraded the 14-42 lens to the 14-45 which is a cracker and also bought the Leica 45mm macro lens which is the sharpest lens I've ever owned. Lens vignetting, distortion and CA data are all stored in the lens and applied automatically to jpgs or stored in RAW files and applied automatically by ACR in LR.

Only downsides so far

Battery life significantly lower

EVF not as good as optical SLR 

Mimimum ISO is 160 so slightly more noise

But, with careful processing, the resulting IQ matches what I was getting from my Canon gear, but I wish it had a ISO 100.

Being able to totally rely on the fast contrast based AF is a revelation after struggling for so long with Canon SLR phase AF. I still can't quite believe the Lumix can focus so accurately and so quickly.

Mark

I'm also part way through the transition. I'd been getting fed up with the weight of my Canon gear and an annoying level of shots I was rejecting due to focus not being "tack sharp". I have a Canon 550D 15-85, 10-22 and 60mm lenses. It was OK if I used slow live view contrast AF, but using phase AF was often not quite right.

Then a few weeks back I saw John Lewis was selling off some Panasonic Lumix G5 kits complete with 14-42 and 45-150 lenses at silly prices so thought I'd give one a go.

I've been stunned by the results. The contrast AF is fast, tack sharp, and 100% reliable (providing you define the focus area and don't let it pick one for itself). The kit is really light. Sure the EVF is not as good as an optical SLR finder but I can review the shots I've just taken using it whatever the ambient light level. The IQ from the lenses is pretty good too, no doubt helped by the accuracy of the AF. I upgraded the 14-42 lens to the 14-45 which is a cracker and also bought the Leica 45mm macro lens which is the sharpest lens I've ever owned. Lens vignetting, distortion and CA data are all stored in the lens and applied automatically to jpgs or stored in RAW files and applied automatically by ACR in LR.

Only downsides so far

Battery life significantly lower

But, with careful processing, the resulting IQ matches what I was getting from my Canon gear, but I wish it had a ISO 100.

Being able to totally rely on the fast contrast based AF is a revelation after struggling for so long with Canon SLR phase AF. I still can't quite believe the Lumix can focus so accurately and so quickly.

Mark

That's odd about the ISO, Mark. I mean noise at 160ISO? Lightroom 3, 4 or 5 should fix that in a few seconds. I routinely use the NEX-6 at 800ISO and 1,600ISO. The NEX-7 I try to keep below 400ISO. 

Yes LR does fix it, but it just seems ever so slightly harder to get a combination of noise reduction and detail/sharpening setting that yields the optimum result during conversion. It maybe that the ACR's default settings just aren't quite as good or maybe I pixel peep too much? I always used to prefer ISO 100 from ISO 200 images on my Canon 550D, Maybe I'm just too picky? I'll also need a stronger ND filter to get those blurry water shots without having to stop down too far.

Oh the other downside....

I find Lumix menus more confusing than Canon. The degree of customisation is superb, but they're just not as user friendly. However, once it's set up and stored in one of the custom modes, it's easy to use.

If I keep getting good results from the G5, then I'll probably sell the rest of my Canon gear. Although.... if Canon were to do the following....

Put their new hybrid (two pixels/pixel) sensor into an SLR body the size of their new 100D, give it a fixed translucent (pelicle?) mirror so you have an optical SLR viewfinder and fast image sensor based combined contrast/phase AF and no possibility of sensor dust, I'd give it a go. Might hedge my bets and keep my Canon lenses and sell the 550D body.

Only downsides so far

I find that the EVF on the NEX 6 is superior in some ways to the optical viewfinder on the 5DII, as it provides a magnified (approx 10 x) view with dioptre correction - excellent for manual focus without specs.

Noise not a problem most of the time. It can become so if you push dark areas too far in LR, using the adjustment brush - something that I now avoid. I have seen far worse outcomes on the Canon, particularly using Highlight Tone Priority, when you can get muddy and banded shadows.

Which brings me to the excellent dynamic range of the NEX. I shot a portrait of a chap wearing a black baseball cap and white shirt last week and was amazed at the detail in both the shadows and highlights, with great detail and sharpness in his shaded eye sockets. My experience has been that the FF Canon would struggle in similar circumstances.

Downsides - New lenses either of indifferent quality or or far too expensive. It needs the equivalent, in terms of both quality and price, of the Canon 24-105 and 70-200 f4. Auto focus not as reliable/fast/convenient as a DSLR. Not really suitable for randomly moving targets!

Only downsides so far

I find that the EVF on the NEX 6 is superior in some ways to the optical viewfinder on the 5DII, as it provides a magnified (approx 10 x) view with dioptre correction - excellent for manual focus without specs.

Noise not a problem most of the time. It can become so if you push dark areas too far in LR, using the adjustment brush - something that I now avoid. I have seen far worse outcomes on the Canon, particularly using Highlight Tone Priority, when you can get muddy and banded shadows.

Which brings me to the excellent dynamic range of the NEX. I shot a portrait of a chap wearing a black baseball cap and white shirt last week and was amazed at the detail in both the shadows and highlights, with great detail and sharpness in his shaded eye sockets. My experience has been that the FF Canon would struggle in similar circumstances.

Downsides - New lenses either of indifferent quality or or far too expensive. It needs the equivalent, in terms of both quality and price, of the Canon 24-105 and 70-200 f4. Auto focus not as reliable/fast/convenient as a DSLR. Not really suitable for randomly moving targets!

That's good information Bryan. I've recently moved from a 7D (great camera except for the noise) to a 5DIII. You have confirmed my decision to invest.

I'll keep the 7D BTW. But I am looking for a P&S to replace my G12 (too noisy). I'm deciding between the RX100 II or the NEX system. Leaning towards the RX at the moment so I'm following this thread closely. But I will not give up the FF. I just love carrying it around with a 17-40 L lens. Most of my serious imaging is at the wider end, so this lens, although an old design, suits me just fine and the low noise benefit of the FF is a bonus.

Ken

As I see it Ken, the NEX is a system and the RX100 II is not. My decision was was taken on size and sticking the camera in my pocket. And WYSIWYG with the RX100 II. No changing lenses. With  a Nikon FF system and a Fuji X100, I just decided on time and place issues for different cameras. 

Well, they finally came out with a quality wide lens for the NEX: the Zeiss Touit 2.8/12, with a view of 18mm, an ultra-wide. Yes, they heard my cries and now all they want from me is . . . $1,250. Everyday is Christmas! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my Fuji X-E1 for about 12 weeks and I am generally delighted. However I can't get rid pf my EOS-1Ds3 just yet. I had a cat walk type event last night and the Fuji autofocus especially on the 55-200mm was not good enough. I wished I had my Canon but I did not have had time to fetch it as I learned about the opportunity too late. As I am thinking about getting back into sport photography I will need to hang on to my DSLR system.

After some comments elsewhere from David Kilpatrick with regard to the way the Sony NEX focusses it suggests where I need to do some experimenting.

That said for travel and as a walk around camera the Fuji X is excellent. The other point is that the low-light performance (I was using 6400 ISO last night) seems better than I achieve with my Canon - I need to do some side by side comparison.

Don't rush into selling your DSLR!

I used my Canon EOS-1Ds3 for the first time in 3 month and even dug out my 1D2s and realised what I was I missing. I used them to shoot some sport and was amazed at how fast the AF was after the Fuji X. - I had been getting a bit frustrated with it.

Oh well, I am going to have live with the DSLR weight whenever I need to shoot something that is moving, however slowly. At least for travel and as a walkaround I will use the Fuji to keep my wife, neck and osteopath happy.

Ed, i did the same like you. I switched from Canon 50d to Sony Nex 6 and i am verry happy. I feel like i make more images because of his flexibility :)

Yep, same here. I take far more pictures with my mirrorless cameras than I ever did with DSLR's. Don't really know why, it just happens that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived