Transition - from DSLR to smaller system, (Sony NEX, FUJI etc)

Well, I'm glad I sprung for the 10-18mm. It's reawakened my wide-angle perspective, and has been passing QC, including at the 10mm end. Also I consider it to be on the smallish and lightweight side. But I've always been one for zooms.

Here's my experience of the Fuji X E1, it may be of interest some of you,

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-fuji-x-e1-review-farewell-and-my.html

Gary

I had the Fuji X E1 and agree on most points,especially the focus. Now I have the X Pro 1 and I have a love/hate thing going with me being invested in 2 completely different systems when all I really wanted to begin with was a great everyday camera to keep in my purse. I don't care for small sensors and prefer a fast zoom. This weekend I hope to give the Fuji X Pro 1 a real workout and if it doesn't thrill the heck out of me,it's going on ebay. My bofyfriend loved this camera and so far used it more than I have.

He's no longer my boyfriend,so maybe he'd want to buy it if I decide to sell? :-)

Well, I'm glad I sprung for the 10-18mm. It's reawakened my wide-angle perspective, and has been passing QC, including at the 10mm end. Also I consider it to be on the smallish and lightweight side. But I've always been one for zooms.

I'm hooked on zooms as well. The new Zeiss lenses look wonderful. But as long as my images keep passing QC, I'm happy to stick with the less expensive Sony lenses. They are well made and do the job, especially with the less-demanding 14/16 MP sensor NEX cameras. It's a different story with the 24 MP NEX-7, I'm sure. I also sometimes downsize files as recommended by David K. (many thanks to him for this tip) if they look a tad soft. Most editorial uses are small, so no problem there so far. The 10-18 looks like a really nice lens. Hey, if money were no object...

Now I have the X Pro 1 and I have a love/hate thing going with me being invested in 2 completely different systems when all I really wanted to begin with was a great everyday camera to keep in my purse. I don't care for small sensors and prefer a fast zoom. This weekend I hope to give the Fuji X Pro 1 a real workout and if it doesn't thrill the heck out of me,it's going on ebay. 

Care to elaborate? Have been debating picking one of these up as a second/smaller system.

-Jason

Ed, i did the same like you. I switched from Canon 50d to Sony Nex 6 and i am verry happy. I feel like i make more images because of his flexibility :)

Yep, same here. I take far more pictures with my mirrorless cameras than I ever did with DSLR's. Don't really know why, it just happens that way.

Me also, hardly used the 5DII since buying NEX 6. . May sell Canon gear to fund the 16-70 Zeiss zoom.  Await reviews with interest!

Ed, i did the same like you. I switched from Canon 50d to Sony Nex 6 and i am verry happy. I feel like i make more images because of his flexibility :)

Yep, same here. I take far more pictures with my mirrorless cameras than I ever did with DSLR's. Don't really know why, it just happens that way.

Me also, hardly used the 5DII since buying NEX 6. . May sell Canon gear to fund the 16-70 Zeiss zoom.  Await reviews with interest!

Just for reference, I sold my 5dmkii about a month back for £1,150 on ebay with 16k actuations. They are still selling like hotcakes on there at the moment so if you do decide to sell, you should get a reasonable bit for it.

I like the Fuji X Pro-1;just don't absolutely *Love* it. It's great for many things,but if you are going to invest,make sure the system can keep up with what you want to do.

I do a lot of low light and available light. In addition I do events,fast moving people and need to use a pro flash that recycles quickly.People are impatient and the Fuji or other mirrorless cameras I've used just do not focus fast in low ambient room light and sometimes not very accurately in low light.

The main reason I bought it was I injured my arm/shoulder in a fall in April and was looking for something lighter. It doesn't go well as  a backup to a DSLR system because you are toting too much gear then if you have other lenses and flash units.

The Fuji is too small to work well on my flash bracket and feels very off balance too.

I just received a Canon G15 for a stash in the purse at all times camera. I had a G9 a few years ago for and was content with that for at least 3 years which is a lifetime for me!

I think I've gone thru a dozen cameras this year.I know,it's me,not the cameras. :-)

I received the Canon G15. Only took a few shots but it fits in the purse perfectly and the images look sharp.

Granted,only took 6 so far.

I may keep the Fuji X Pro 1 for awhile. It's just getting too risky in my city to walk around with a big DSLR system and camera bag. I have the Canon 6D and various lenses.Too much to lug...

The Fuji X-E1 brought back my enthusiasm but it is not really suitable for the first love I am rediscovering. AF and especially shutter lag too slow (though I might have got it with manual focus). At least my timing and situational awareness is coming back - and a Zen like sense to avoid snatching or freezing on the shutter.

Oh well at least the Fuji will protect my neck when I don't need those big lenses/dslr! It will still be the camera I pick up most often but not when I am going somewhere like this. Horse for courses.

DDEA8D.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

1+ ..... My 5dmkii has joined a queue of 11 on ebay  :D Thankfully only one finishes within 1 day of mine! Once it's sold, along with my remaining lenses, I'll pick up an X-E1 as a backup to my X Pro1. I'm thinking of getting the EF-X20 flash to go along side a yongnuo 560iii.

The Fuji 55-200 is an amazing lens. If you get a chance, try out the 14mm.... best UWA i've used. Hopefully the 10-24 they are going to release will be similar quality!

Duncan - you may already be aware but the EF-X20 flash has no standby mode plus the switch on time is (or seems like) several seconds. Haven't used it a lot yet but, so far, I've found it really frustrating. A shame, as I'm really enjoying the X-E1.

Hi all - 

I've changed the title of the thread to be more descriptive. There is a lot of good info in here and for the newbies who are interested in this, they may have overlooked the thread that was just called 'transition'.

Hope that's OK with you good folks!

Cheers

James A

Nikon and Canon seem to have missed the boat on all this, like Kodak did a few years ago.

Maybe!  however it will be a very long time before we see pro sport photographers with the NEX system stuck on top of a large monopod,  when shooting sport and wildlife i would never trade my pro DSLR system, fast sharp and the chance to capture the moment.

I do carry a RX100 when walking the streets, perfect for every day photography.

Cheers,

Paul.

Based on a earlier entry there this will make me seriously not cool - but no way can I see myself downsizing from my full frme system. If the weight gets too much then I'll get to the gym or hire a team of sherpas - but having seen a lot of 4/3 stuff I would only consider it in emergencies or if there was no other way to get a shot. As it is i'll be an uncool lugger of big kit for years to come.

but having seen a lot of 4/3 stuff I would only consider it in emergencies or if there was no other way to get a shot. As it is i'll be an uncool lugger of big kit for years to come.

The Fuji X-E1 and X Pro 1 are APS-C sensors,not micro 4/3.

However,last year I had the Olympus Om-D as a walk around camera and IQ rivaled my Nikon D7000 with most higher end lenses,even primes.

Quite impressive.

L

1+ ..... My 5dmkii has joined a queue of 11 on ebay  :D Thankfully only one finishes within 1 day of mine! Once it's sold, along with my remaining lenses, I'll pick up an X-E1 as a backup to my X Pro1. I'm thinking of getting the EF-X20 flash to go along side a yongnuo 560iii.

The Fuji 55-200 is an amazing lens. If you get a chance, try out the 14mm.... best UWA i've used. Hopefully the 10-24 they are going to release will be similar quality!

Duncan - you may already be aware but the EF-X20 flash has no standby mode plus the switch on time is (or seems like) several seconds. Haven't used it a lot yet but, so far, I've found it really frustrating. A shame, as I'm really enjoying the X-E1.

Yeah, it would be nice if it started up a bit quicker.... I can get away with the lack of standby. I'm going to sell a Nissin 622 because of the standby on that, keeps switching off way to fast. I will however get a second Yongnuo 560III..... superb quality piece of kit for only £48. Anyone looking for a new flash should really take a look at it. Built in radio receiver, great display and excellent build quality. 

Bought a Fuji X.Pro 1 with 35mm prime six weeks ago to take to Indonesia as didn't want to cart my D700 kit there again,broke the golden rule of going away with untried kit !Have to say that I had a lot of advice and help with a raft of questions from a forum member (you know who you are !!)which went a long way to avoiding any mistakes. Have to say that it is a complete pleasure to use,light and unobtrusive,a bit quirky,especially focus....found that using the centre spot to focus and then recomposing was not always the best way to work !

I shot using raw + J.peg and again,for the first time,I have archived the raw files and just used the J.pegs....they really are that good.I edited the final selection to 426 images,they passed QC this morning.

I wont be selling the D700 just yet but am extremely happy with the X.Pro and it will be getting a lot of use....

Archived