Just had my first sale for an alamy print. My cut = $3.78. Art.com take their cut then alamy take their cut leaving me with that !! Surely alamy should make their starting price higher for the prints so that the photographer gets a reasonable amount. Whilst I realise that we signed up to alamy with the agreement that we are bound by whatever choice alamy make regarding their pricepoints this is another nail in the coffin for us photographers.

How long before agencies sell buy one get one free

Kevin

Absolutely ridiculous and unfair competition. 

Please end that cooperation with Art.com asap because the prices are simply  I N S U L T I N G. One of the worst recent ideas from Alamy.

Cheers

Philippe

Belgians can be a contumacious lot. B)

Yup, I just had one pop in for $3.94 netting me $1.97, same as geebee above.

Not happy - didn't remotely cover my train fare. 

People could scan or rephotograph a print and abuse it any way they wanted.

Q1, where can I see the 'rack rate' for art sales?

Q2: this was an unreleased photo of an athlete, at an open, public event on public ground. Legal to sell as editorial, but as prints?

Q3: can we opt out individual files? Or all files?

I had a feeling that deal with art.com wouldn't bring us much.

I hope this sort of pricing doesn't lower prices on proper POD agencies.

Geoff.

Unfortunately, deals like this seldom do. The pie gets sliced into too many pieces. But I'm afraid we're just going to have to like it or lump it, as my mother used to say.

Few days ago I sold a bunch of greeting cards and I earned more with each one (net income) than your print sold on Art.com/ Alamy before the cut (gross).

I hope Alamy read this thread and will rethink their decisions of going to the cheapest doors. Dear Alamy, there really ARE clients happy to pay more than less. Just give them/ us a chance...

Btw, where is the OPT OUT? I want to make sure to NOT compete with myself. Besides, the pricing is far below acceptable.

My first print sale also appeared yesterday.

Alamy Print

Usage: Alamy Prints – Canvas

Ship to country: United Kingdom

36x54 POD Size $ 60.46

I'm wondering how a UK customer ordered a print, as I can't see a print-on-demand option on Alamy here in the UK. I thought it was only available in the US. 

The only way to opt out is to opt out of Personal use. Basically to order a print the buyer clicks on personal use then they get the option to buy a print. Its not an option on the first purchase page. If there is no personal use option they cannot reach the buy a print option. So again if you want to keep your distributor sales its another thing that you have to put up with along with personal use

Kevin

The only way to opt out is to opt out of Personal use. Basically to order a print the buyer clicks on personal use then they get the option to buy a print. Its not an option on the first purchase page. If there is no personal use option they cannot reach the buy a print option. So again if you want to keep your distributor sales its another thing that you have to put up with along with personal use

Kevin

We need PROPER OPT OUT for this ABUSE and INSULT, not BLACKMAIL/RANSOM type of OPT OUT.

Edit: change of font size

I have the feeling that some confuse the POD consumer market to the B2B market. In some cases for example for products you cant ask too much of a mark-up as it will scare away the customers... the t-shirts are already expensive... however for prints I have the feeling that the market is a lot less price sensitive than some of our agencies realise.

Yes, people usually expect and are willing to pay more for prints, or at least they used to...

Kevin

We need PROPER OPT OUT for this ABUSE and INSULT, not BLACKMAIL/RANSOM type of OPT OUT.

Edit: change of font size

Hi All

How do we OPT OUT?????????????

As far as I know, in order to opt out 'print', you need to opt out 'Personal Use'.  The problem is that by opting out 'Personal Use' you will be opted out automatically from Distribution Sales.

The majority of contributors, if not all, want remain in Distribution Sales but opt out 'Personal Use' which Alamy don't/won't provide.

Alamy Print
36x54 POD Size $ 60.46

I'm wondering how a UK customer ordered a print, as I can't see a print-on-demand option on Alamy here in the UK. I thought it was only available in the US. 

Is that $60.46 gross? If so what was your cut?

Alamy Print
36x54 POD Size $ 60.46

Yes, it's $60.46 gross so my cut is $30.23.

Opt IN should be an option for prints. Opt OUT the default. That way, if you don't opt in you don't get excluded from distribution. Personal use is one thing, print another one.

EDIT: Actually, even better but I'm probably asking too much... :) Wouldn't it be nice if we could opt out of personal use without being excluded from distribution?

If a buyer intends to live for years with a custom image on their wall, or are sending a custom greeting card to a friend, I think they are willing to spend more money if they like the image.

I do not understand the need to be the cheapest seller on a POD site, if your images are interesting.

Perhaps Alamy are experimenting and gathering information so they can make a final decision on price. I hope Alamy will review their present POD pricing decision, as I think it is too low.

Alamy Print
36x54 POD Size $ 60.46

Yes, it's $60.46 gross so my cut is $30.23.

Thanks for confirming.

I had a feeling that deal with art.com wouldn't bring us much.

I hope this sort of pricing doesn't lower prices on proper POD agencies.

Geoff.

Lower prices -- another "race to the bottom" -- definitely is a concern, but at least we can set our own prices on most "proper" POD sites.

Archived