Alamy Say:-

"Tags appear in the order you add them. We show supertags at the top of the tag window above regular tags.

You've misunderstood the blog post about proximity I'm afraid. Supertags that appear first are not weighted above the 10th supertag for example.

In the blog we speak of proximity of words to each other having an bearing on the search. So, if you have words that go together, either add them individually next to each other or add them as a multi-word tag."

Me: I'm utterly confused.

@Alamy. Would it be possible for you to show an example of what you consider is a perfect example of keywording (showing the image of course) and why the order of supertags is as you lay out.

This would be such a help (I think)

Alamy Say:-

"Tags appear in the order you add them. We show supertags at the top of the tag window above regular tags.

You've misunderstood the blog post about proximity I'm afraid. Supertags that appear first are not weighted above the 10th supertag for example.

In the blog we speak of proximity of words to each other having an bearing on the search. So, if you have words that go together, either add them individually next to each other or add them as a multi-word tag."

Me: I'm utterly confused.

@Alamy. Would it be possible for you to show an example of what you consider is a perfect example of keywording (showing the image of course) and why the order of supertags is as you lay out.

We don't change the order of tags. Tags appear in the order you add them. The only way the order changes is in the way we put supertags at the top of the list. 

Me: ... supertags you select, appear in REVERSE order after saving. Meaning that the careful chosen proximity is ..... gone!!!

Cheers,

Philippe

The tool does not "reverse" the order of supertags after you save them.

The supertags will be ordered by how you entered the tags in the first place, not by the order in which you select them as supertags. If you believe words should go together then add them as a multi-word tag. 

To re-iterate - we're unable to respond to all questions and threads here. If you have any other questions about this issue or believe you have found something we should investigate then please email contributors@alamy.com

Alamy

@ Alamy. Ok.

Now configure 10 super tags, click them through and add them as you require. Same order?

Or reversed!

Agreed that clicking one by one works but........?

@ Alamy. Ok.

Now configure 10 super tags, click them through and add them as you require. Same order?

They will appear in the order by which they were added as tags, not by the order you made them supertags. This is our last post in this thread, if you have any other questions then please email as requested and the team will be more than happy to help.

Cheers

Alamy

@ Alamy. Ok.

The will appear in the order by which they were added as tags, not by the order you made them supertags. This is our last post in this thread, if you have any other questions then please email as requested and the team will be more than happy to help.

Cheers

Alamy

The Alamy team could help on the forum where everyone can benefit from seeing the exchange, much easier than answering multiple e-mails, surely?

Tags don't appear in the order you add them I have tags in alphabetical order and in Manage Images they are in a different order.

The ability not tone able reorder tags and super tags by drag and drop is silly as you have to delete tags to reorder then which takes a lot of time as you can't copy and paste .

i'm not keen on having to keyword images by typing in the words individually. The two quick ways I have found are to let my keywords come in from Lightroom or to copy keywords from the preview view of older images. In both instances they have an alphabetical result. I would love to be able to move the little bubbles around. Failing that, I guess I have to put in phrases. I wonder if the search results are better in terms of placement within a search if you have phrases.

Paulette

i'm not keen on having to keyword images by typing in the words individually. The two quick ways I have found are to let my keywords come in from Lightroom or to copy keywords from the preview view of older images. In both instances they have an alphabetical result. I would love to be able to move the little bubbles around. Failing that, I guess I have to put in phrases. I wonder if the search results are better in terms of placement within a search if you have phrases.

Paulette

I would like this to Paullette.  Because when you copy keywords they may not be in the order you want them.  And of course if they keep reversing with every save, it could drive you insane.  I'm trying to put as many keywords in phrases as possible.

Jill

Paulette

Some say that their image placement dropped after adding phrases. I can't fathom it. I truly don't believe anybody on these forums know how to do it right.

The harder I look, the muddier the water.

From what I can see when you type in your keywords, it puts them at the top in the order you typed them in. First one typed is the last on the list.  As soon as you hit save, it places them at the end of the list in the correct order of typing.

My example:

Typed in: under,the,waterfall

Shows in list at top as I typed them so they are waterfall,the,under.

When saved they go to the bottom and then they are in the correct order: under,the waterfall.

So the top means nothing in order placement, just so you can easily see the new keywords you have added.

So don't look at the order until you have saved your keywords.  I don't find AIM changing the keyword order of my saved keywords.

Jill

Regarding the order of tags.

My image ID: HDKG2R

Oystercatcher birds on a beach.

It's a new image, never keyworded or tagged. I entered these phrases and words in this order...

oystercatchers

Haematopus ostralegus

Eurasian oystercatchers

flock of oystercatchers

oystercatcher birds

standing

beach

side view

I hit SAVE and the order reversed. This is fine, as it put the FIRST phrases/words at the top, which is what I'd usually want, and I'd imagine others would want that too?

I then changed these top ones to supertags, leaving the last 2 as normal tags....

oystercatchers

Haematopus ostralegus

Eurasian oystercatchers

flock of oystercatchers

oystercatcher birds

standing

I hit SAVE, and the order now appears like this, with all supertags first....

standing

oystercatcher birds

flock of oystercatchers

Eurasian oystercatchers

Haematopus ostralegus

oystercatchers

beach

side view

The order has now been reversed again, so the first words/phrases I added appear last after a save. This is not what I want and I'm sure not what most people want. So it's the action of changing tags to supertags that reverses the order.

Geoff.

Thanks for this clear example - this makes sense and there appears to be some confusion on the issue reported here as there is a difference if you add the supertags before committing the standard tags via hitting save. If the tags are already saved then yes, the order will be affected - if they are not already committed via a save then they will be added as supertags in the order by which they were added to the tag field. We'll get our technical team to investigate this to confirm the desired behavior. 

Tags don't appear in the order you add them I have tags in alphabetical order and in Manage Images they are in a different order.

The ability not tone able reorder tags and super tags by drag and drop is silly as you have to delete tags to reorder then which takes a lot of time as you can't copy and paste .

We do respect the order in which the data arrives. If you have tags in alphabetical order it may be a display option on the software you're using. Check the order of the words within the actual data of the file you send us, through IPTC - this should be the order you see in the Alamy Image Manager.

The Alamy team could help on the forum where everyone can benefit from seeing the exchange, much easier than answering multiple e-mails, surely?

It's more to do with the fact that the contributor help inbox is monitored more closely than here. We respond when we can but ultimately this is a contributor forum.

Tagging is best left to the individual and each image is different. The best advice we can give can be found here on our recent blog post.

Cheers

Alamy

This is the response I got from Alamy:

"Proximity matters when it comes to your tags rather than what comes first.

For instance if you have an image of a blue whale, you should but the tags ‘blue’ and ‘whale’ next to each other as it would have higher weight in a search for ‘blue whale’ than if you had the tags as ‘blue’ ‘ocean’ ‘sea’ ‘whale’.

With the new tools however, we would suggest having phrases in a single tag so ‘blue whales’ would be one tag rather than 2 ‘blue and ‘whale’.

You also have super tags which you can have up to 10 of and these will carry the most weight in the search results.

I hope this makes sense."

Would help a lot if we could drag and drop tags/supertags to re-arrange them. Can that be made possible?

Cheers,

Philippe

+1

The advice in the past has always been to re-visit keywords to review them and keep them up to date.  Now any added keywords will appear at the end of the list with no concern for proximity; unless all the keywords are re-entered.

Steve

@ Alamy. Ok.

They will appear in the order by which they were added as tags, not by the order you made them supertags. This is our last post in this thread, if you have any other questions then please email as requested and the team will be more than happy to help.

Cheers

Alamy

Well that's completely and utterly retarded.  What a mess you've turned this into, Alamy!

As for 'this is the last post in this thread' business - well it's scandalous...

Hi All

I have been doing a little investigation in Capture One you can move the tag order around by dragging and dropping the individual tags this is then preserved in Photoshop and via FTP into Manage Images the problems start when you have to start editing tags within Manage Images to make all of one type of images match.

Jon

Would help a lot if we could drag and drop tags/supertags to re-arrange them. Can that be made possible?

Cheers,

Philippe

If the order doesn't matter, as Betty pointed out (and an earlier quote from Alamy said), why does the order matter? I thought Alamy said it did matter but after re-reading some quotes, I think maybe I didn't read it properly in the first place.

Geoff.

I think order matters with regular tags, but order doesn't matter with supertags. That said, "blue whale" should be entered as a phrase, and a supertag, because proximity matters when you are giving the modifier to "whale".

I think if you did not make blue whale a supertag and a phrase, but a regular tag, you'd want to be careful the order is blue,whale,. The same if they are each a single supertag. I'm guessing proximity and order would still count.

If you have words like house, street, as supertags, and house is listed first in order, the word street listed last carries the same weight.

So the supertag phrases of "blue whale" and "Pacific ocean" carry the same weight even if one is listed first and the other last.

Blue whale - supertag phrase

Pacific Ocean - supertag phrase

Above phrases carry same weight no matter where they are located in the supertag field.

Blue - single supertag perhaps should be placed in front of

Whale -supertag.

Body of regular tags. Make phrases as easiest way to keep word order, but if you don't want to make a phrase, then be sure white, house, are in that order as single tags.

This, right or wrong is how I think it works..

Archived