Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.

Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use

Start: 27 December 2016

End: 27 December 2021

HDTM7C A store exterior. So if it is one-time personal use, why is the usage for 5 years?

This is the image I sold for "personal use" a couple of months back, which was then refunded. The assumption was the buyer had thought they were buying the item, not just a photo.

close-up-of-the-pre-amp-unit-of-a-yamaha

Well, it's now sold again, once more for personal use ....

:huh:

Should I add to the caption:

"This is just a %&*%$ picture. You are not actually buying a guitar pre-amp"

Any thoughts???

I had a couple of shopfronts in December too. They were luxury outlets and I charitably assumed that they might have been used as cards or tags to go with presents.

Most of my personal use sales have been suitable subjects for cards - mostly stained glass windows - but I have certainly had one or two dubious ones.

I've had 2 PU sales for the same remote control. Both times Alamy said the purchaser thought they were buying the actual remote control. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I simply don't believe anyone can go through the process of finding an image, selecting the license type, and still think they're buying the actual item. I know Alamy made a blog post giving examples of this, and they say it happens daily. Maybe people are trying it on daily? Are people really THAT dense? So I'll use my common-sense and come to my own conclusion, and just hope my images aren't being used once those sales have been refunded.

I have changed the information on that particular remote control image so the model number is no longer in the caption, but Google search hasn't updated that yet. So I've just done a search on Google: "stream 83i remote control". The first page shows the manufacturer's website, as expected. Next is an Amazon link to the radio that remote is for, and the rest of the first page has various links - None to my image. If I look at image results instead, my photo comes up 7th in the list, with the "Alamy Stock Photo" watermark right across it. That's the first clue it's a photo. Click on that, then "View page", and you see Alamy's page of search results, with my image in the list, near the top. Click that and in bold at the top.....

"Buy this stock image now".

[sarcasm]

Arrr look, what a beautiful remote control. How do I buy it? Oh I see a "download" button. That's odd, I thought I was buying a remote control? Anyway, let's click it, as "download" is clearly a new term meaning "purchase this item". Oh dear, it wants a password. So I can either setup an account at a STOCK PHOTO AGENCY or maybe I can try something else? Let's look at my other options by clicking on "Choose another right-managed license". Arrr I see the first option, "Image use". It's an image? Oh ok, but never mind, I'll ignore that and choose "Personal use". I'll leave the other options at the default, such as, "One time use", "Up to 5 years", "Image size" and "print run".

:DWOW it's only £9.99! :D

I'll add it to my cart quick, then choose the "View cart" option.

That's kind of this remote control company, as they've told me how many pixels big it is, and also the print size. It's a pretty huge remote control! Half a metre long? Oh well, at least I won't lose it down the side of the sofa.

[/sarcasm]

*Wakes up from my dream world and is back in reality*.

Geoff.

Suggest you go into the remote control business Geoff. ;)

You might make more than on Alamy. :D

Allan

Sadly that is probably the last you will hear from Alamy on the matter Betty, at least in my experience.

Allowing customers to download high resolution images for 'Personal use' or 'Presentation' at ridiculously low prices is even worse than micro-stock surely?

Why these types of licence should ever be discounted, as appears to have happened in my case recently, simply adds insult to injury. Volume price plans do not apply to these usages do they?

Sadly that is probably the last you will hear from Alamy on the matter Betty, at least in my experience.

Allowing customers to download high resolution images for 'Personal use' or 'Presentation' at ridiculously low prices is even worse than micro-stock surely?

Why these types of licence should ever be discounted, as appears to have happened in my case recently, simply adds insult to injury. Volume price plans do not apply to these usages do they?

Volume price applied for a one off PU? Does this mean an individual can get volume discount for multiple images to make prints, or cards, etc?

What constitutes volume? Two images? Ten? 100? How can PU be anything over one or two?

I just put a clothespin on my nose because that whole concept reeks to high heaven.

Volume price applied for a one off PU? Does this mean an individual can get volume discount for multiple images to make prints, or cards, etc?

What constitutes volume? Two images? Ten? 100? How can PU be anything over one or two?

I just put a clothespin on my nose because that whole concept reeks to high heaven.

If you think it is that bad Betty I suggest you ask Alamy to place PU restrictions on all your images. Especially as you sell for PU on FAM.

I did a while ago and do not regret it.

Allan

If you think it is that bad Betty I suggest you ask Alamy to place PU restrictions on all your images. Especially as you sell for PU on FAM.

I did a while ago and do not regret it.

Allan

I've been holding off doing that, Allen, in hopes of the new changes in Manage Images will make that job easy, or still allow distributor sales, which I do get on a regular basis.

So far, I've only had 2 or 3 PU sales. If those increase, I'll rethink it.

I deleted everything I had on Alamy that crossed over in FAA. So PU sales here won't damage my product there.

I'm not sure whether or not to be pleased that I don't have the problem, or disappointed that my images are too  boring to be worth a PU, genuine or not.

Don't take it personally. I've only had six PU licenses in 2016. Most look more like editorial than 'gift and card' subjects to me, but one never knows...

If complaints about suspicious personal usages continue, and there is no intention of withdrawing the scheme, perhaps they need to word it differently.
I'd also be interested to see the sales figures of personal use licenses from Alamy, and also the value to contributors of any print sales which may have been made.

I had two so far this year (2017) - both seem like reasonable personal use images - and they were made Jan 1 and Jan 2 while most of the world was off from work. Don't love the amount if of the first sale if someone is making a big print, but if they're using the second on personal greeting cards (fireworks which makes sense for a just-in-time New Year's card), not too bad. Both are huge files however, and way too big for the $19.99 price tag. Still, nice to have 2 sales, albeit small ones, already this year. Maybe it'll start a trend and I'll get one sale a day  B)

I had two so far this year (2017) - both seem like reasonable personal use images - and they were made Jan 1 and Jan 2 while most of the world was off from work. Don't love the amount if of the first sale if someone is making a big print, but if they're using the second on personal greeting cards (fireworks which makes sense for a just-in-time New Year's card), not too bad. Both are huge files however, and way too big for the $19.99 price tag. Still, nice to have 2 sales, albeit small ones, already this year. Maybe it'll start a trend and I'll get one sale a day  B)

Good for you. I'll consider myself lucky to make my first 2017 sale by the 2nd or 3rd week.

For whatever reasons, I don't license many the first week.

Archived