Which Lens should I buy?

Forum members were great in helping me choose my camera previously so does anyone have any advice on which '1st lens' I should buy for my Sony rx100?  For about £40.00 (second hand fine).  I like to photo buildings and wildlife.

Thanks,

Vickie.

The answer is no.

Although I suppose you could buy a cheap telescope from a toy shop and hand hold it in place, but I'm not sure even this would work very well.

Good luck.

I suppose your other job must be a professional comedian.   :D

Forum members were great in helping me choose my camera previously so does anyone have any advice on which '1st lens' I should buy for my Sony rx100?  For about £40.00 (second hand fine).  I like to photo buildings and wildlife.

Thanks,

Vickie.

Thanks all.  Sorry that was a bit  of a stupid question!

Vickie.

The answer is no.

Although I suppose you could buy a cheap telescope from a toy shop and hand hold it in place, but I'm not sure even this would work very well.

Good luck.

Only intended as jest rather than sarcasm Vickie.

If you really want interchangeable lenses and your happy with your Sony then I suggest looking for a secondhand NEX series camera which should fulfill your needs.

I see two of your images are up. What's with the keywords? You should only put in things that are actually in the image.

Paulette

I remember a keyword generator like that. Spammy as anything. I stopped using it years ago.

OP, not such a problem yet, but it will hurt your rank in the long run. Concept words should be used very sparingly. I can't think of one that has got me a sale.

"Symmetry" has two Ms.

I see two of your images are up. What's with the keywords? You should only put in things that are actually in the image.

Paulette

I remember a keyword generator like that. Spammy as anything. I stopped using it years ago.

OP, not such a problem yet, but it will hurt your rank in the long run. Concept words should be used very sparingly. I can't think of one that has got me a sale.

"Symmetry" has two Ms.

Hello again,

I didn't use a keyword generator.  I had remembered a man called Alan on here who had a 'hashtag' - 'a keyword is worth a thousand pictures'.  I took that to mean volume.  You're saying it's relevance?

The answer is no.

Good luck.

Only intended as jest rather than sarcasm Vickie.

If you really want interchangeable lenses and your happy with your Sony then I suggest looking for a secondhand NEX series camera which should fulfill your needs.

That's good advice.  Thanks.

Paulette

"Symmetry" has two Ms.

What will hurt my ranking in the long run, Spacecadet?

Excess views due to irrelevant keywords will reduce your CTR, which is one element of rank.

Not too important with two images but it's buch easier to get it right when keywording than to have to correct hundreds of images later.

O.K.  Cheers.

I have to agree with Philippe. I'm flabbergasted that someone would try to sell images without knowing that they bought a camera that doesn't allow for lens changes. There's a distinct lack of understanding of what's required here at Alamy. Of course everyone has to start somewhere but I'd say that you're some way behind a starting point for submissions to Alamy. Sorry  :mellow:

I bought my first serious camera meant for stock when digital offered little. It was a film camera, a Nikon. Before I bought, I researched the stock industry and what a photographer must have to succeed.

Within a year, Nikon and Canon came out with 6.3 mp digital cameras that was up to the task for stock. Again, I researched the two cameras extensively, and looked at the images each produced. I went Nikon because I saw a slight advantage in the images.

From there, I kept researching and reading. I invested in Photoshop and bought a Dummy book to help me understand it. I only did basic corrections for awhile, adding new adjustments only when I understood how to use them.

The whole point of this discourse is that I didn't go half-cocked, but invested money for good equipment, software, and never forget the computer and color management for it.

Most of all, I invested lots and lots of my time studying the craft.

The one thing I failed at those first few years was understanding the subject matter that makes a good stock image, but I learned that in time. I also didn't grasp the difference between advertising and editorial, what needed releases and what didn't. As a result, I thought any image I shot with people in it but my not having releases, was worthless. I deleted many a very good editorial image because of my lack of understanding.

Then, there is keywording. Yikes!

This points out how many facets of shooting stock one must grasp in order to, if you're lucky, sell a few images each month.

Whereas I spent loads of money on good equipment just for my hobby and kept updating it every now and then as important new specifications came out.

As I approached retirement I thought how I could use the kit to give me a supplementary income and, after some research, discovered stock photography. 

i then researched that and here I am. :)

Allan

Lens for RX100? I tought it is not interchangeble.

Actually I think you are right!  I am not happy about this!  Can I not add a lens even with an adapter?

Perhaps you are confusing the RX100 with the NEX-6, which I believe you purchased originally. It was an interchangeable lens camera.

That said, the RX100 has a very useful zoom range, so you should be able to do a lot with it.

Hi Vickie

unfortunately I have to agree with what others, especially Philippe, said above. On the other hand I'm also impressed by your perseverance; many other newbies give up after running into issues like not having a suitable camera. But not you, you asked for advice and got an acceptable camera and got your first pictures accepted. A bit unfortunate that you you wanted an interchangeable lens camera and got one where you can't change it, but ok, as you've seen, you can also get pictures accepted by QC with that camera.

Now that you still have that perseverance, use it, but use it wisely in order not to lose it. Maybe the best option for you at this moment is not stock photography. Take pictures, many pictures. Process them. Each of them. Your skills will improve over time. Re-take pictures of already visited subjects when you think your photography skills improved. Reprocess old images when you think your processing skills improved. Build a portfolio. Take your time. Then come back to be a successful and content contributor at Alamy. Don't give in the temptation too early, else most probably you will get disappointed.

Regarding the keywording: others have already said it, but it is really important, so: only add keywords of what the picture is of. Add James Bond only if he is the subject of the pictures. Not just because a building was shown in a James Bond movie. Ralph Fiennes? I don't see him. Winter? Where's that winter in a picture taken in September. I see a little bit of autumn on the ground, but not enough to keyword it either. Autumnul (sic!)Ruin? that brick wall looks ok to me. Emo, gothic, Legoland, family? Looks like something went wrong here. Were those maybe keywords you intended for other pictures and they ended up in the wrong text field?

And your pictures look a bit dark on my screen.

Cheers

Christoph

Actually I think you are right!  I am not happy about this!  Can I not add a lens even with an adapter?

Perhaps you are confusing the RX100 with the NEX-6, which I believe you purchased originally. It was an interchangeable lens camera.

That said, the RX100 has a very useful zoom range, so you should be able to do a lot with it.

But not wildlife!  ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

It depends. Non?

But not wildlife!  ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

It depends. Non?

I shoot wildlife with a whole array of lenses - from 20 mm to 500 mm but the vast majority of my pictures is shot in the range 200-500 mm (750mm if you count the crop factor). Especially birds, the size of a robin, will require a strong telephotolens if you want a fullframe portrait. When I'm out shooting wildlife, I carry about 16 kg of gear (lenses/camera(s)/tripod) on my back  :wacko:

Cheers,

Philippe 

I would need a burro to help me carry 16 kg of gear.

loaded-burro-taking-a-siesta-copper-cany

Paulette

"Symmetry" has two Ms.

Hello again,

I didn't use a keyword generator.  I had remembered a man called Alan on here who had a 'hashtag' - 'a keyword is worth a thousand pictures'.  I took that to mean volume.  You're saying it's relevance?

Trollop is relevant to the British Secret Service? I think someone's been copying keywords.

Archived